Sad Christmas Story

Old December 28th 05, 04:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Sad Christmas Story

Mij Adyaw wrote:
Good post Steven. This group also needs the Christian perspective.

Why? This is a science ng. *Any* religious perspective is superfluous.
That doesn't mean I or many in the group (won't speak for all) don't
respect your right to believe as you choose, but this is not the forum
for you to present those beliefs or how scientific discovery may
challenge your beliefs.

Shawn
Old December 28th 05, 04:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Mij Adyaw" wrote in message
Good post Steven. This group also needs the Christian perspective.

Why on Earth do we? Last I checked sci stood for science and astro stood
for astronomy, nothing in there about superstition.

Greg

Old December 28th 05, 04:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Shawn wrote:
Mij Adyaw wrote:

Good post Steven. This group also needs the Christian perspective.

Why? This is a science ng. *Any* religious perspective is superfluous.

Right on. Believe what you want, folks. But we don't need or want to
know what that is.
Old December 28th 05, 09:15 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Puhlease

There is ample evidence for evolution. Scientists are not trying to
prove or disprove evolution any more, they're trying to pin down the
mechanisms by which evolution is driven. Evolution is a given. You'd
have to have a hole in your head to go around saying evolution is a
myth! I hope you're just trolling and don't really believe the stuff
your spewing.

Old December 28th 05, 10:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 21:15:30 GMT, Chris L Peterson
wrote:

If "the holiday" you are referring to is Christmas, yes (although it has
become a secular holiday to many). But there are many celebrations
during this time of year- some years ago my wife and I went back to the
original meaning of the season and started celebrating solstice.

However, solstice celebrations are no less religious in their historic
origins.

;-)

---
Michael McCulloch
Old December 28th 05, 10:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Michael McCulloch wrote:
However, solstice celebrations are no less religious in their historic origins.

Hmmm, OK. What about those of us who dance under the
Full Moon in our Jockey shorts hoping for a month of clear
skies?

Old December 28th 05, 11:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 16:12:39 -0500, Michael McCulloch
wrote:

However, solstice celebrations are no less religious in their historic
origins.

Maybe. Certainly, we have Wiccan and Neo-pagan friends who celebrate it
still in a religious sense. But for us, it is simply a more meaningful
day to celebrate our secular Christmas- a day with some physical
meaning, especially to an astronomer!

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old December 29th 05, 12:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:29:48 GMT, Chris L Peterson
wrote:

However, solstice celebrations are no less religious in their historic
origins.

Maybe. Certainly, we have Wiccan and Neo-pagan friends who celebrate it
still in a religious sense. But for us, it is simply a more meaningful
day to celebrate our secular Christmas- a day with some physical
meaning, especially to an astronomer!

I should add, the solstice does have a spiritual significance to us,
even though there is nothing religious about it.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old December 29th 05, 04:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

I should add, the solstice does have a spiritual significance to us,
even though there is nothing religious about it.

There is nothing spiritual about it to me. But i do sort of like noting
the moment the sun reverses its course. The summer (June) solstice is
almost more significant to me since i live in the north American desert
and it's pretty darn hot then. My plan, if i was in charge, would be to
do away with all holidays and give everyone 5 extra vacation days a year
to use as they please!

-Florian

Old December 29th 05, 04:33 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Florian wrote:
I should add, the solstice does have a spiritual significance to us,
even though there is nothing religious about it.

There is nothing spiritual about it to me. But i do sort of like noting
the moment the sun reverses its course. The summer (June) solstice is
almost more significant to me since i live in the north American desert
and it's pretty darn hot then. My plan, if i was in charge, would be to
do away with all holidays and give everyone 5 extra vacation days a year
to use as they please!

Ironically, my wife said exactly that last night. Might be a problem
for businesses to deal with, though.

Phil