ASTRO: NGC 7497 in "bright" IFN

Old September 10th 11, 09:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 7497 in "bright" IFN

NGC 7497 is a galaxy about 60 million light years distant set in the
Integrated Flux Nebula in Pegasus. The IFN, also known as Galactic
Cirrus is dust far out of the plane of our galaxy caused to fluoresce by
the ultraviolet light of super hot stars in our galaxy's disk. The
galaxy, of course lies some 60 million light years beyond our galaxy and
its IFN. It is classed by the NGC project as an Sc galaxy, as an SB(s)c
galaxy by de Vaucoulers and as SB(s)d by NED. I'm not seeing it as a
barred spiral though it appears I'm out voted.

The bright blue piece of IFN at the far upper left below a very bright
star seems bright enough to have made it into a catalog but Simbad has
nothing at that position.

There is little on this field. The blue oval smudge of a galaxy
southeast of NGC 7497 is NPM1G +17.0731. The blue smudge west southwest
of NGC 7497 is MCG +03-59-001/PGC 070552. The bright blue spiral
northeast of NGC 7497 is another bright but anonymous galaxy in NED. I
keep running into these. Seems no one it catalogs has found it
interesting enough to even list as an anonymous galaxy.

Only 4 other galaxies in my image are listed in NED. All small and
insignificant, at least from my point of view. I see no difference in
them than many others not listed. All 4 are from the 2 micron survey so
interesting as bright at that wavelength as likely star factories.

This image was taken over two nights. An asteroid from each night shows
in the image. The one from the first night, (247103) 2000 SL317 is NE
of NGC 7497, two thirds of the way to the anonymous blue spiral and is
moving only in R.A. It was just out of the frame to the west the second
night. The other asteroid, 2010 JH161, is about 3.6 minutes west
(right) of the core of NGC 7497 and moving down at to the right at a 45
degree angle. It's trail starts near a slightly orange star. It was
out of frame to the upper left the first night Comparing the two trails
you can tell seeing was a bit better the second night. Both are about
19.5 magnitude.

A blue star at the bottom of the image and a red one at the top hit
right on the edge of the chip. When I moved either way to avoid this
something put a horrid set of reflections into the image. Only solution
was to leave these stars right on the edge where they glared into the
image. I could have cloned them out but the blue one was in the IFN and
impossible to clone out without distorting the IFN so I decided to leave
both in. I did tone them down significantly. Yes they were far worse!
I discovered the reflection issue a year after I'd taken it and was
just now putting it together. No way to remove it as it hit in the IFN.
So I completely redid the image September 3 and 5 of this year.
Finally I'm posting a current image.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=8x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails