London Planetarium (again)

Old July 15th 06, 02:47 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Don't Be Evil

Default London Planetarium (again)

When I heard all the concern about its closing, I didn't realise it was
the only one in London. Cleveland (about 1/20 the size of London) has
one and another about 50 miles away in Canton.

What's the nearest one to London now?

Sir Patrick Moo
http://www.guardian.co.uk/space/arti...821083,00.html

Greg

Old July 15th 06, 04:58 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
John Nichols

"Don't Be Evil" wrote in message
oups.com...
When I heard all the concern about its closing, I didn't realise it was
the only one in London. Cleveland (about 1/20 the size of London) has
one and another about 50 miles away in Canton.

What's the nearest one to London now?

Sir Patrick Moo
http://www.guardian.co.uk/space/arti...821083,00.html

Greg

We used to have two. Back when I was a kid, the Cleveland Schools operated
a planetarium in what was then the Supplemental Science Center downtown on
Lakeside. It hasn't been operated as such in years, first being converted
into a science magnet school, and now it's an administrative building.

Old July 15th 06, 05:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Weatherlawyer

John Nichols wrote:
"Don't Be Evil" wrote in message
oups.com...
When I heard all the concern about its closing, I didn't realise it was
the only one in London. Cleveland (about 1/20 the size of London) has
one and another about 50 miles away in Canton.

What's the nearest one to London now?

Sir Patrick Moo
http://www.guardian.co.uk/space/arti...821083,00.html

Greg

We used to have two. Back when I was a kid, the Cleveland Schools operated
a planetarium in what was then the Supplemental Science Center downtown on
Lakeside. It hasn't been operated as such in years, first being converted
into a science magnet school, and now it's an administrative building.

I went to one near the radio dish in Cheshire but it was so dumbed down
it would have met the criterior for the link. I wonder how log before
some genius comes up with a dished monitor.

Old July 15th 06, 08:53 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Mike Williams

Wasn't it Don't Be Evil who wrote:
When I heard all the concern about its closing, I didn't realise it was
the only one in London. Cleveland (about 1/20 the size of London) has
one and another about 50 miles away in Canton.

What's the nearest one to London now?

Has the Greenwich Planetarium not reopened yet, after it's 15 million
pound refurbishment?

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure
Old July 15th 06, 10:26 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Mike Dworetsky

"Mike Williams" wrote in message
Wasn't it Don't Be Evil who wrote:
When I heard all the concern about its closing, I didn't realise it was
the only one in London. Cleveland (about 1/20 the size of London) has
one and another about 50 miles away in Canton.

What's the nearest one to London now?

Has the Greenwich Planetarium not reopened yet, after it's 15 million
pound refurbishment?

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Not yet; the new galleries are open, but the new planetarium will not open
to the public until spring 2007, which could be any time up to June 21st.
The old planetarium at Greenwich, very small with an older projector, is
still open.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove "pants" spamblock to send e-mail)

Old July 15th 06, 10:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Andy Hewitt[_1_]

Don't Be Evil wrote:

When I heard all the concern about its closing, I didn't realise it was
the only one in London. Cleveland (about 1/20 the size of London) has
one and another about 50 miles away in Canton.

What's the nearest one to London now?

Sir Patrick Moo
http://www.guardian.co.uk/space/arti...821083,00.html

Greg

Blimey, I never realised that had happened. I visited that when I was a
child, and now of course regret never going back.

However, Patrick's article suggests we haven't missed much anyway. What
a shame though, I know you don't want to 'flog a dead horse' as such,
but that place was historic if nothing else.

--
Andy Hewitt
http://www.thehewitts.eclipse.co.uk/Home.html
Old July 15th 06, 05:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Helen Deborah Vecht

(Andy Hewitt)typed

Don't Be Evil wrote:

When I heard all the concern about its closing, I didn't realise it was
the only one in London. Cleveland (about 1/20 the size of London) has
one and another about 50 miles away in Canton.

What's the nearest one to London now?

Sir Patrick Moo
http://www.guardian.co.uk/space/arti...821083,00.html

Greg

Blimey, I never realised that had happened. I visited that when I was a
child, and now of course regret never going back.

However, Patrick's article suggests we haven't missed much anyway. What
a shame though, I know you don't want to 'flog a dead horse' as such,
but that place was historic if nothing else.

My last visit to the London Planetarium was with an erstwhile
schoolfriend and his then 11-year-old son. I told the lad his next visit
there was likely to be with his own kids. Sadly he won't be able even to
do this.

We saw a very dumbed down film projected onto the dome. Tussaud's gave
us a 15 minute show, then turfed us out. It's hardly surprising the
Planetarium had few takers.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old July 15th 06, 07:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
p forsdick

I it looks like Southend-on-sea has one 40 miles from london
http://www.southendmuseums.co.uk/pla...lanetarium.htm

Old July 15th 06, 09:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Andy Hewitt[_1_]

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

[Snipped Text]

Blimey, I never realised that had happened. I visited that when I was a
child, and now of course regret never going back.

However, Patrick's article suggests we haven't missed much anyway. What
a shame though, I know you don't want to 'flog a dead horse' as such,
but that place was historic if nothing else.

My last visit to the London Planetarium was with an erstwhile
schoolfriend and his then 11-year-old son. I told the lad his next visit
there was likely to be with his own kids. Sadly he won't be able even to
do this.

I was hoping to take my daughter there sometime too.

We saw a very dumbed down film projected onto the dome. Tussaud's gave
us a 15 minute show, then turfed us out. It's hardly surprising the
Planetarium had few takers.

I can remember watching it with awe when we went, but that was back in
the late 70's. ISTR it being a really good show of reasonable length,
and the images were stunning at the time.