ASTRO: the Pleiades, M-45, open cluster in Taurus

Old November 25th 07, 03:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default ASTRO: the Pleiades, M-45, open cluster in Taurus

A 3 minute exposure with Canon Rebel DSLR thru a Brandon 80mm refractor.

"Their number seven, though the myths oft say,
and poets feign, that one has passed away......." Aratus, 3rd Century
BC

George N

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m45.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	557.1 KB
ID:	1497
Old November 25th 07, 08:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:

A 3 minute exposure with Canon Rebel DSLR thru a Brandon 80mm refractor.

"Their number seven, though the myths oft say,
and poets feign, that one has passed away......." Aratus, 3rd Century
BC

George N

Very good for 3 minutes. I could never come close to that in 10 with
film.

Odd background color. Can that be balanced out without hurting the
other colors? Looks a lot like my 20 minute shot on a very fast 3M
slide film. Think it was ASA 1000. It always gave that color for the
background. Rarely used it but was the only one that seemed to catch
the reflection nebula but even that needed 20 minutes to go as "deep" as
you did in 3. Any moonlight?

Rick

Old November 25th 07, 06:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

man that's a magenta sky if I ever saw one George. You get that sky
background neutral and you will have a nice image!

Old November 25th 07, 07:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

George, very good for three minutes. I needed more than an hour under city
skies with a DSLR to get nearly that deep.

Stefan

Old November 25th 07, 11:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote
man that's a magenta sky if I ever saw one George. You get that sky
background neutral and you will have a nice image!

Richard, et al:

I'll go back and give it another shot on the color. However IRIS reported
that the color count was about equal. I'm not sure why this camera/scope
combo gives such a bright red sky, especially since the Canon DSLR has a
natural bias towards the blue. Maybe I was imaging quite low. At times you
get lost in the sky working inside a dome.

George N