Alll Saturn V launches in one picture

Old June 9th 04, 04:10 AM
Rusty Barton

Default Alll Saturn V launches in one picture

On the Wikipedia website is a picture that I created showing
all Saturn V launches on one combined photo.

The URL is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...V_launches.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_V

A similar picture of all Saturn IB launches is he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...B_launches.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_IB

And finally a picture of all Saturn I launches:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...I_profiles.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_I

- Rusty Barton
Old June 9th 04, 07:00 AM
Peter Smith

Rusty Barton wrote in message
On the Wikipedia website is a picture that I created showing
all Saturn V launches on one combined photo.

The URL is:

I love your work. It is poignant to see 204 as the only vehicle not
pictured firing its engines. Was the 204 flown after the disastrous plugs
out test?

Also, just an idle question about the vapour around the stage 1 of the
Saturn Vs. Is the vapour cryogenic boil-off, water condensation from the
air or something else?

Thanks

- Peter

Old June 9th 04, 08:09 AM
Derek Lyons

"Peter Smith" wrote:
I love your work. It is poignant to see 204 as the only vehicle not
pictured firing its engines. Was the 204 flown after the disastrous plugs
out test?

Yes, as Apollo 5, an unmanned LM test.

Also, just an idle question about the vapour around the stage 1 of the
Saturn Vs. Is the vapour cryogenic boil-off, water condensation from the
air or something else?

IIRC condensation and ice crystals.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old June 9th 04, 01:35 PM
LaDonna Wyss

"Peter Smith" wrote in message ...
Rusty Barton wrote in message
On the Wikipedia website is a picture that I created showing
all Saturn V launches on one combined photo.

The URL is:

I love your work. It is poignant to see 204 as the only vehicle not
pictured firing its engines. Was the 204 flown after the disastrous plugs
out test?

Also, just an idle question about the vapour around the stage 1 of the
Saturn Vs. Is the vapour cryogenic boil-off, water condensation from the
air or something else?

Thanks

- Peter

Ummmm, perhaps I have become cynical after reading so many posts from
people like OM, but is this a serious question? NO, Apollo One never
flew. The CM is SUPPOSED to be stored at Langley, although I have
been getting a serious song-and-dance out of NASA since discovering
the place on their website where it said the CM had been moved to a
silo with Challenger. NASA now claims that was a "clerical error",
but I can't seem to get evidence as to where the thing is currently
stored.
As for the Service Module, they did farm out the parts for other
missions (ostensibly to save money) but the fact is by doing so they
destroyed evidence.
LaDonna
Old June 9th 04, 01:55 PM
Henry Spencer

Derek Lyons wrote:
Also, just an idle question about the vapour around the stage 1 of the
Saturn Vs. Is the vapour cryogenic boil-off, water condensation from the
air or something else?

IIRC condensation and ice crystals.

It was mostly condensation in the plume of cold gas from the LOX boiloff
vent. The outer surface of the LOX tank quickly built up a coat of frost
that insulated it, so there shouldn't have been much condensation from it.

(On the shuttle, the presence of the fragile tiles *beside* the ET meant
that uncontrolled condensation couldn't be permitted, because ice could
form and then fall off during launch. This is why there's insulation over
the whole ET -- originally parts of the LOX tank were to be left bare --
and also why there's a complicated "beanie cap" umbilical over the ET LOX
vent, which was originally going to be out in the open.)
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old June 9th 04, 02:05 PM
Herb Schaltegger

(LaDonna Wyss) wrote:

[...]

It's apparent with each post that your earlier claims of a being some
kind of serious investigator with a "team" of experts on your side were
just fabrications. "204" refers to the booster, not the CSM (the CSM
was Spacecraft 012).

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
Reformed Aerospace Engineer
Old June 9th 04, 02:51 PM
Pat Flannery

Peter Smith wrote:

Also, just an idle question about the vapour around the stage 1 of the
Saturn Vs. Is the vapour cryogenic boil-off, water condensation from the
air or something else?

A lot of that would be ice and frost caused by the moisture in the air
freezing on the exterior skin of the first stage's Lox tank, and now
falling free due to the vibration and acoustic effects of launch;
remember the scale of the rocket- that first stage is over 130 feet in
length.

Pat

Old June 9th 04, 02:55 PM
Peter Smith

LaDonna Wyss wrote...

Ummmm, perhaps I have become cynical after reading so many posts
from people like OM, but is this a serious question? NO, Apollo
One never flew.

I know the CSM was never flown, but the pictures were about the launch
vehicles, and I thought the 204 was re-used in a launch. I guess I wanted
to acknowledge that Rusty Barton had represented that rocket as unignited
(for artistic reasons) when he could have used eg

http://history.nasa.gov/MHR-5/Images/fig394.jpg

Ref: http://history.nasa.gov/MHR-5/Images/figd-2.jpg

- Peter

Old June 9th 04, 03:28 PM
Rusty B

"Peter Smith" wrote in message ...
Rusty Barton wrote in message
On the Wikipedia website is a picture that I created showing
all Saturn V launches on one combined photo.

The URL is:

I love your work. It is poignant to see 204 as the only vehicle not
pictured firing its engines. Was the 204 flown after the disastrous plugs
out test?

The AS-204 (Apollo 5) picture was just an oversight on my part. I was
looking for the best close up picture of each launch. I was unable to
find a good color one for AS-204, so I used this pre-launch picture.

AS-204 was the "Apollo-1" rocket. It was finally used to launch the
Apollo 5 unmanned test of the Lunar Module.

Also, just an idle question about the vapour around the stage 1 of the
Saturn Vs. Is the vapour cryogenic boil-off, water condensation from the
air or something else?

I'm guessing that a lot of the vapour is caused by ice build up on the
rocket tanks falling into and vaporizing in the rocket exhaust.

- Rusty Barton