Land of Mt. Hood and the Source of the East Wind

Old August 25th 15, 09:19 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2TreBert

Default Land of Mt. Hood and the Source of the East Wind

On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 5:31:40 PM UTC-8, Double-A wrote:
Mt. Hood looms much larger were I am living now. Many things there are named after it: Mt. Hood Community College, The Hood Theater, and Hood Drive. Some things have been named after the east wind too, such as the East Wind Apartments. The east wind is the dominant wind there in the winter. In summer it is nice though, and stays a little cooler than downtown Portland.

Today I am back over in the Cedar Mills Library, since I don't have my Multnomah County library card yet. After lunch with Kim downtown, I came up here. It is currently 51F here with a slight sprinkling of rain starting. Should be dry again in a couple day.

A few days ago I walked over to the Mt. Hood Community College campus. I spent 2 years in school there. Much has changed, but old memories still remain.

"The years run too short and the days too fast
The things you lean on are the things that don't last
Well it's just now and then my line gets cast into these
Time passages
There's something back here that you left behind
Oh time passages
Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight

A girl comes towards you
You once used to know
You reach out your hand
But you're all alone, in these
Time passages
I know you're in there, you're just out of sight
Time passages
Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight" - Al Stewart

At first I felt a little lost, but then I came upon a spot I clearly remembered. It was where I had gone out there and watched a speech by then President Jimmy Carter in the late 70's. He was the first President I had seen in person! A helicopter brought him in, and Iranian students hiding their faces were demonstrating against the Shaw of Iran.

I finally found the lake that they made by damming up the local creek. I once drove a car across that dam! But if I were to try it now, I would run into a fence. I now must give up any hope of wetting a line in that trout stocked pond, as fishing is now limited to those under 17. Well, that's how I always thought it should be.

I found the basketball court with the dome shaped roof. It is a paraboloid shaped roof which gives an interesting echoic effect at its center. They have wisely covered much of the ceiling with acoustic tile.

There used to be tables and chairs on the east side where students could sit. But now it's all basketball floor. That's were I used to sit and talk with Greta and Susan in those pleasant times.

"The day is here,
The time has come
When I go see my darling love.
But why is she not here today
Where she has always been before?
I wait for you,
But you come not. - AA

I went to the corner of Kane Dr. and Stark St. to look for the stone mile post marker for mile 14 from Portland. It was there back in 1969 when I checked. This were set down every mile along Stark about 150 years ago. Stark led to the Stark St. Ferry, which was the only way to cross the Willamette River back then, before they built the bridges in Portland. The Community College has put up a sign at that corner and surrounded it with rocks and other landscaping. But no sign of the historic mile stone. You would think that the administrators of a college of all people would have some respect for history!

Double-A

AA in the Register I read they are pumping up ground water.This can cause sink holes.I've seen it happen in Fl. Be nice if they hit a river. Today its hot and cloudy. People are not going to the beaches like in the good old days.Beach has a smell.They claim its a leak in oil pipe.I think that is very bad news.With all the oil here they ship most of it under ground.Pipes get old. Bert
Old August 26th 15, 12:07 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 1:19:31 PM UTC-7, G=EMC^2TreBert wrote:

AA in the Register I read they are pumping up ground water.This can cause sink holes.I've seen it happen in Fl. Be nice if they hit a river. Today its hot and cloudy. People are not going to the beaches like in the good old days.Beach has a smell.They claim its a leak in oil pipe.I think that is very bad news.With all the oil here they ship most of it under ground.Pipes get old. Bert

Or else a pipe with LA sewage has sprung a leak!

Nice and synny here. Most of the smoke has blown away with a shift in the wind. It is now 83F as of 4:00 PM PDT.

Another trip to my locker. Back home and swept off the back pateo. My next door neighor has a couple of healthy looking potted pot plants on his partio. Now that is completely legal. But if why were him, I'd be worried about them being very attractive to thieves who like to get high!

Double-A

Old August 26th 15, 01:36 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 4:07:40 PM UTC-7, Double-A wrote:
[...]

85F as of 5:50 PM. I heard some slight mention on the weather news this morning about an Asian Typhoon headed our way from the direction of Alaska! The last time we were hit by a typhoon it was called the Columbus Day Storm in 1962, and it did a lot of damage! There was little warning that time too!

Another down day for both stocks and precious metals! Strange days indeed!

Double-A

Old August 27th 15, 09:23 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2TreBert

[...]

WOW 105F and it will stay hot till Oct. Sandy my cop lady friend took me to Holiday pool.Spent the day there.We brought back Chine's take out. At 9:30 watched Disney fireworks. It was one of my best days in Anaheim,so far.Today its shooting pool.and drinking Bud.Much to hot to stick your nose outdoors. We need that iceberg real bad. TreBert
Old August 27th 15, 11:52 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Thursday, August 27, 2015 at 1:23:07 PM UTC-7, G=EMC^2TreBert wrote:
[...]

Currently sunny and 87F as of 3:30 PM here in Gresham.

Made another trip to my locker today. Get while the gettin's good, because with a typhoon bearg down on us later tomorrow, it will soon be all about battening down and hoping the roof doesn't blow off! It should bring us a lot of rain (maybe an inch!) over the weekend. With all the fires burning in the are, we can certainly use that!

Speeking of drinking Bud, I noticed last night over a Bud that a password was posted behind the bar of my favorite watering hole for free Wi-Fi access! I asked the barmaid, and she said, "Yeah, bring your laptop!" My apartment is not far from there. The best would be if I can pick up the access from my apartment! Otherwise, I expect I expect to be drinking a lot more Bud while using the Internet with my laptop.

Lunch yesterday with Kim. Seems she's been holding out on me on just how much restaurant/lounge managerial experince she has had! She has even tended bar! Seems to me we have nearly all we need to open a place of our own, maybe in Gresham! I am the promoter, she is the expert in the field, so all we need is to find an angel to banklroll the operation!

Double-A

Old August 28th 15, 06:52 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

A deceptively peaceful morning. Sunshine through light, whispy clouds. A perfect 71F as of 10:45 AM here in Gresham, Oregon. Expected high today 77F. But the storm is coming. By tonight it is expected to start raining. A typhoon has been moving off Alaska and is headed our way! Strong winds and heavy rainfall is expected to last all weekend! Rain might help quench the forest fires, but the fear is that the winds will just fan them up!

One of my neighbors came by last night and offered to sell me a big comfortable recliner chair, and a solid wood coffee table for $15. It was an offer I couldn't refuse! Finally, I have furniture!

Double-A

Old August 29th 15, 08:37 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Here in the eye of the storm! As of 12:30 PM here in Gresham it is 74F with scattered clouds. Wind SW 22 mph. More rain in the forecast.

This moring about 4:00 AM we had some thunder and lightning and some rain. That's when the winds came up also. There are a few scattered tree branches that have blown down, but not much damage, and not as much rain as we would have liked.

The Farmers' Market outside has only a few of its usual vendors today. And most of the ones there have not put up their tents. Tents are not wind friendly! They must just be hoping it doesn't rain. Hard to change money and keep it from blowing away! At least the ones I usual buy from were there, so I got my Veggies!

Double-A

Old August 30th 15, 09:07 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

At least we got some much needed rain this morning! Now partly sunny with scattered clouds. Currently 66F here in Gresham as of 1:00 PM on this Sunday morning. Expected high only a Freudian 69F.

Yesterday there were gusts over 40 mph at the Portland Airport! This in August?

They were running the Mt. Hood to Coast Relay yesterday. They had to move the finish line at Seaside from the beach up to the boardwalk because all their tents on the beach had blown down!

I noticed a few pieced of composite roofing off our apartment house roof in the back yard!

Double-A

Old August 31st 15, 11:20 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

A perfect 72F here in Gresham as of 3:15 AM. Cloudy sky, but so far no more rain.

When the storm hit Saturday, 27,000 people in the greater Portland area lost their electricity. Several hundred still are without power. But the storm hit Seattle even worse. 1/2 million lost their electricity there! And 2 people there died from falling trees!

Double-A

Old September 1st 15, 12:08 AM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2TreBert

On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 3:20:07 PM UTC-7, Double-A wrote:
A perfect 72F here in Gresham as of 3:15 AM. Cloudy sky, but so far no more rain.

When the storm hit Saturday, 27,000 people in the greater Portland area lost their electricity. Several hundred still are without power. But the storm hit Seattle even worse. 1/2 million lost their electricity there! And 2 people there died from falling trees!

Double-A

Not as hot but very sunny and no clouds.Kids will all be back to school this week. This is my last week,and my nose goes on the grindstone.Have to get M&M to the next level. TreBert

Punishment for the Ft. Hood Terrorist. G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_] Misc 1 November 9th 09 06:59 PM
The source of the solar wind (Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 May 6th 08 05:09 AM
The source of the solar wind (Forwarded) Andrew Yee[_1_] News 0 May 6th 08 04:59 AM
east's direction wind peter Misc 2 November 28th 06 02:38 PM
the East's direction wind peter Misc 1 November 23rd 06 02:44 PM