Where in the world...

Old September 21st 06, 01:05 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
snidely

Default Where in the world...

Who's going to be the first to correctly identify the landscape below
the astrounauts in
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-115/html/s115e05801.html
???

/dps

Old September 21st 06, 02:44 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
John Doe

JohnSmith wrote:
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-115/html/s115e05801.html

I guess Australia

Shuttle does spend a lot of time over Australia. However, at the times
of EVAs, was australia in daylight ?

Also, looking at the coast line, I can't seem to identify where it might
be. The big island isn't big enough, nor the right shape to be Tasmania.

Also, there are a couple of large lakes with water in them. This is rare
in Australia (although being the end of winter, perhaps it is normal for
them to be filled with water).

Not sure if at this resolution roads should be discernable. None are. If
this were the eastern section of Australia, you should be able to see
some major roads.
Old September 21st 06, 05:08 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
Joe Smith

snidely wrote:
Who's going to be the first to correctly identify the landscape below
the astrounauts in
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-115/html/s115e05801.html

Roughly: 350km above 38°14'N 29°38'E, looking SSE.

Aka, SW Turkey looking over the Med toward Crete on the horizon.

Old September 21st 06, 05:27 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
John Doe

Joe Smith wrote:
Roughly: 350km above 38°14'N 29°38'E, looking SSE.

Aka, SW Turkey looking over the Med toward Crete on the horizon.

OK, would you care to describe how you got that information ? Is it some
conversion in a database between photo number and location ? Or did you
recognize an exact feature on the ground which allowed you to provide
lat/long of that feature?
Old September 21st 06, 08:01 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

On 2006-09-21 05:27:23 +0100, John Doe said:

OK, would you care to describe how you got that information ? Is it some
conversion in a database between photo number and location ? Or did you
recognize an exact feature on the ground which allowed you to provide
lat/long of that feature?

The large island above the 1st joint of the Canada Arm is Rhodes.
--
Darren Griffin
PocketGPSWorld - www.PocketGPSWorld.com

Old September 21st 06, 10:22 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
Chris Bennetts

John Doe wrote:
JohnSmith wrote:
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-115/html/s115e05801.html

I guess Australia

Shuttle does spend a lot of time over Australia. However, at the times
of EVAs, was australia in daylight ?

I know the puzzle has already been solved, but I'll answer JD's
questions anyway.

The EVAs started at around 7pm Australian Eastern Standard Time, about
an hour after sunset where I am. So the east coast was dark, but the
western part of the country would still have been in daylight early in
the EVAs.

Also, looking at the coast line, I can't seem to identify where it might
be. The big island isn't big enough, nor the right shape to be Tasmania.

Yes, it wasn't even close to looking like Tasmania.

Also, there are a couple of large lakes with water in them. This is rare
in Australia (although being the end of winter, perhaps it is normal for
them to be filled with water).

Australian winters are usually pretty dry, and this one has been no
exception.

--Chris
Old September 21st 06, 03:02 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
Joe Smith

John Doe wrote:
OK, would you care to describe how you got that information ? Is it some
conversion in a database between photo number and location ? Or did you
recognize an exact feature on the ground which allowed you to provide
lat/long of that feature?

What else--Google (Earth).

I made a rough guess based on the topography visible in the photo.
Google Earth makes it easy to browse around and the coastline in the
view is quite distinctive, Rhodes especially, as Darren pointed out. I
could reproduce the direction of the shot and get an estimate of the
position from GE.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get a link to the view (i.e. you
click on the link and GE will pop up showing that exact view). I've
seen them on websites, but I haven't yet figured out how to get from a
particular view in GE to a link I can put in an email.

Old September 21st 06, 05:11 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
Mike

On 21 Sep 2006 07:02:29 -0700, "Joe Smith" wrote:

John Doe wrote:
OK, would you care to describe how you got that information ? Is it some
conversion in a database between photo number and location ? Or did you
recognize an exact feature on the ground which allowed you to provide
lat/long of that feature?

What else--Google (Earth).

I made a rough guess based on the topography visible in the photo.
Google Earth makes it easy to browse around and the coastline in the
view is quite distinctive, Rhodes especially, as Darren pointed out. I
could reproduce the direction of the shot and get an estimate of the
position from GE.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get a link to the view (i.e. you
click on the link and GE will pop up showing that exact view). I've
seen them on websites, but I haven't yet figured out how to get from a
particular view in GE to a link I can put in an email.

The location can be saved as a kml /kmz file. Pretty easy to do, but
it will display at the default zoom level.

cut and paste the following lines (excluding the === limiter) into a
file named anything.kml and then file|open with google earth

===

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?
kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.0"
Placemark
name38°14'N 29°38'E/name
open1/open

styleUrlroot://styleMaps#default+nicon=0x304+hicon=0x314/styleUrl
Point
coordinates29.63333333333333,38.23333333333334,0 /coordinates
/Point
/Placemark
/kml

===

Old September 21st 06, 10:27 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
snidely

Mike wrote:
cut and paste the following lines (excluding the === limiter) into a
file named anything.kml and then file|open with google earth

KML is great stuff, innit? I've been cataloging places I've lived, as
a contribution to the family history.

I hadn't thought of the GE browsing trick, so you guys really outpaced
me! I'm not surprised at the Asia Minor answer, though, as that area
is so often -- well, just about these colors -- when you watch the
payload bay "screen saver" on NASA TV.

/dps

Historical comparisons Chance Policy 81 March 27th 06 05:54 AM
NOMINATION: digest, volume 2453397 Ross Astronomy Misc 233 October 23rd 05 04:24 AM
Runaway Global Warming Possible! Thomas Lee Elifritz Policy 922 May 2nd 05 03:52 PM
The Future of Physics and the World [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 April 3rd 05 12:37 AM