ET Cam flashes/flares?

Old July 27th 05, 04:31 PM

Default ET Cam flashes/flares?

Looking at the launch video on the Washington Post site
yesterday, the first segment from the ET Cam shows several
flashes/flares near the SRB flame, with apparent bits
of stuff moving out from the flashes. The time display
on the WP video, which seemed to start at lift-off, had
these happening between seconds 35 and 45.

Any idea what those were?

Old July 27th 05, 05:02 PM

Can you post a link? There's another thread here where a possible burn
through was seen close to SRB separation.

Regards,
--Neurowiz

Old July 27th 05, 08:31 PM
Brian Gaff

I did notice that while the SRBs were firing, all comms from the orbitter
sounded like they were being shaken violently. Do the solids produce a
rougher thrust than the liquid engines, or is this just a function of the
huge weight and resonances at launche.

When the SRBs had gone, the voices sounded better.

Brian

Email:

"Herb Schaltegger" wrote in
message .com...
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:31:59 -0500,
wrote
(in article .com):

Looking at the launch video on the Washington Post site
yesterday, the first segment from the ET Cam shows several
flashes/flares near the SRB flame, with apparent bits
of stuff moving out from the flashes. The time display
on the WP video, which seemed to start at lift-off, had
these happening between seconds 35 and 45.

Any idea what those were?

I just watched it - looks like lens flare halo-ing against some
moisture or debris on the camera lens but who knows. The exhaust of
the SRB's can sometimes clump into little molten blogs of aluminum
oxide; sometimes larger chunks come out and flare a bit. Perhaps
that's what it was.

--
"Fame may be fleeting but obscurity is forever." ~Anonymous
"I believe as little as possible and know as much as I can."

Old July 27th 05, 09:05 PM
John Doe

Brian Gaff wrote:

I did notice that while the SRBs were firing, all comms from the orbitter
sounded like they were being shaken violently. Do the solids produce a
rougher thrust than the liquid engines, or is this just a function of the
huge weight and resonances at launche.

Astronauts have often commented on how brutal, noisy and vibrating the SRBs
were and how quiet the shuttle becomes once they are gone. Those who have
ridden both Soyuz and Shuttle also comment on how Soyuz is much quieter than
Shuttle during the first 2 minutes because of the shuttle's SRBs.

For Soyuz launches, we see hwta happens when the egines are turn off, and the
stuffed animal start to float.

It would be nice to see the same for shuttle , with the effect in the cabin of
SRB separation, and 6 minutes laters when main engines are turned off.