Lunar vs Solar Eclipses (newbie) (possible repost)

Old June 30th 04, 09:19 AM
Hale

Default Lunar vs Solar Eclipses (newbie) (possible repost)

I apologize if this got posted twice.....

Hello,

I need to figure out which people have seen mo a lunar or a solar
eclipse. Here is my theory, please tell me if I'm right or wrong (if wrong,
tell me why)

More people have seen a solar eclipse.

Is it because the 5 degree orbit of the moon w/ respect to the
elliptic. There are very few times a year the moon, Earth, and sun are in
perfect alignment that can cause a lunar eclipse, whereas a solar eclipse
does not matter on the alignment of the three celestial bodies. Is this
correct?

Thanks,

Hale

Old July 3rd 04, 03:15 PM
Mark HARDAKER

Actually it's the other way around. A lunar eclipse is visible to a larger
portion of the earth's population than a solar eclipse, in general. The
earth's shadow is bigger than the moon's and as long as the moon is above
the horizon where you live, you can see the eclipse; in the case of a solar
eclipse, you have to be directly underneath the moon's much smaller shadow
to see the moon pass in front of the sun. For a total eclipse, the shadow
on the earth's surface is only a couple of hundred kms in diameter, which is
why so few people have seen a total solar eclipse.

Mark

Old July 3rd 04, 03:15 PM
Mark HARDAKER

"Hale" wrote in message
I apologize if this got posted twice.....

Hello,

I need to figure out which people have seen mo a lunar or a solar
eclipse. Here is my theory, please tell me if I'm right or wrong (if

wrong,
tell me why)

More people have seen a solar eclipse.

Is it because the 5 degree orbit of the moon w/ respect to the
elliptic. There are very few times a year the moon, Earth, and sun are in
perfect alignment that can cause a lunar eclipse, whereas a solar eclipse
does not matter on the alignment of the three celestial bodies. Is this
correct?

Thanks,

Hale

Total Lunar Eclipses elsewhere in the solar system raz Amateur Astronomy 10 May 5th 04 02:08 PM
Lunar base and space manufacturing books for sale Martin Bayer Space Shuttle 0 May 1st 04 04:57 PM
The apollo faq the inquirer Misc 4 April 15th 04 04:45 AM
ESA Sees Stardust Storms Heading For Solar System Ron Baalke Science 0 August 20th 03 08:10 PM