bad scopes?

Old August 27th 03, 04:18 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

Default bad scopes?

JB wrote in news:9e3okvs1evdnvv4d4e0h1ps45723h9lmkp@
4ax.com:

hi everyone - newbie here and a couple of questions.

SNIP

Second question is this debate: equatorial mount versus field
de-rotater. Best comment I saw on that was "look what the pro's are
doing - all the best photo's are taken using an equatorial mount, not
field de-rotater". That said, I would be interested to hear from
anyone that has experience of using a field de-rotater for deep space
photography.

The problem with a field derotator is that is just another electronic gee
gaw that can go wrong (even simple stuff like cables getting in the way).
You can use a simple wedge to turn your Alt/Az Lx200 into an equatorially
mounted scope.

See - if I had a decent 'dark sky' back yard with the
scope permanently set up, there would be no question and I'd have a
nice equatorial wedge. But I live about 15 miles north of manhattan,
so I have to travel reasonable distances to get close to moderately
good skies - unless lake Eire pulls a magic trick again!!!! So,
adding a 'super-wedge' to my list of things to take and then mounting
it each time is a little off putting.

Read this:

http://perso.club-internet.fr/legault/

Note the articles about high resolution imaging.

Rgds Llanzlan

Hey - maybe it'll be cheaper to relocate to colorado or something!

Thanks all - I appreciate your opinions.

Old August 27th 03, 04:48 AM
Starlord

The reson people get down n meade is because they have very VERY POOR aftersales
support, or should I say Non-support.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"JB" wrote in message
hi everyone - newbie here and a couple of questions.

I've been reading this a while and, most recently, about the seemingly
never ending 'meade versus celestron' debate.
Well - I have to admit I recently bought a meade 10" LX200 GPS UHTC
scope and - wait for it - I'm very happy with it. Now - don't get me
wrong - I'm not an expert in this field and I feel a little ashamed
about buying a 'goto' scope, but you know - I have very little spare
time (does anyone have lots and if so - got any jobs going? ;-) and I
have many hobbies. This scope is fun, I get to see plenty and I'm
loving it - a veritable childhood dream come true. But I'm confused
why so many of you, who are clearly more knowledgeable at this than
me, are so down on meade. Am I in for a nasty surprise a year or so
down the line? Something else?

Second question is this debate: equatorial mount versus field
de-rotater. Best comment I saw on that was "look what the pro's are
doing - all the best photo's are taken using an equatorial mount, not
field de-rotater". That said, I would be interested to hear from
anyone that has experience of using a field de-rotater for deep space
photography. See - if I had a decent 'dark sky' back yard with the
scope permanently set up, there would be no question and I'd have a
nice equatorial wedge. But I live about 15 miles north of manhattan,
so I have to travel reasonable distances to get close to moderately
good skies - unless lake Eire pulls a magic trick again!!!! So,
adding a 'super-wedge' to my list of things to take and then mounting
it each time is a little off putting.

Hey - maybe it'll be cheaper to relocate to colorado or something!

Thanks all - I appreciate your opinions.

---

Old August 27th 03, 10:24 AM
Roger Hamlett

"JB" wrote in message
[...]

A field derotator, can be a fine way to go. It's 'downsides', are that to
track properly, three motors all have to be working together, while on a
wedge, only one is needed. Mechanically, you are bound to end up with more
errors. It also makes guiding harder, requiring that you either guide on a
star exactly in the centre of the field, or have a guider that is integrated
to the main camera.
It's 'plus side', is that it is much quicker to setup.
Hence in your position, a derotator, combined with a camera with an
integrated guide ability, could well be the best solution.

Best Wishes

Old August 27th 03, 01:29 PM
Bobsprit

Well - I have to admit I recently bought a meade 10" LX200 GPS UHTC
scope and - wait for it - I'm very happy with it.

If you're scope is working and gives nice images when compared to other scopes
of the same design then you got a "good one" and have little to worry about.
You're lucky, so Enjoy!

RB
Old August 27th 03, 07:24 PM
username

"JB" wrote in message
hi everyone - newbie here and a couple of questions.

I've been reading this a while and, most recently, about the seemingly
never ending 'meade versus celestron' debate.
Well - I have to admit I recently bought a meade 10" LX200 GPS UHTC
scope and - wait for it - I'm very happy with it. Now - don't get me
wrong - I'm not an expert in this field and I feel a little ashamed
about buying a 'goto' scope, but you know - I have very little spare
time (does anyone have lots and if so - got any jobs going? ;-) and I
have many hobbies. This scope is fun, I get to see plenty and I'm
loving it - a veritable childhood dream come true. But I'm confused
why so many of you, who are clearly more knowledgeable at this than
me, are so down on meade.

we are not, I have a meade and I am very happy with it. Perhaps the people
that are down on meade post more than people enjoying their scope. Do not
think that the posts in this (any) newsgroup represent an average sample !

Old August 27th 03, 11:33 PM
Bobsprit

we are not, I have a meade and I am very happy with it. Perhaps the people
that are down on meade post more than people enjoying their scope. Do not
think that the posts in this (any) newsgroup represent an average sample !

There have been thousands and thousands of posts attacking Meade. Only a few
ever mention problems with Celestron.
Meade wins buyers over via marketing. Celestron survives on their rep in a
sadly shrinking market.
Everytime I stop a person from buying a Meade product I consider it a good
service to this very excellent hobby of ours. They should not be able to profit
so easily by making shoddy products.
If you have a "good" Meade scope you did well.

RB