Is a 4" Tasco reflector strong enough to see Mars?

Old August 18th 03, 04:32 PM
Doc

Default Is a 4" Tasco reflector strong enough to see Mars?

Would I be able to see any detail on Mars with a 4" Tasco reflector?
The current owner says he can see the rings of Saturn with it.

Thanks for any input!
Old August 18th 03, 05:26 PM
Emery Z. Balint Jr.

Yes it should be, you can see a fair bit with a 4". Tasco however, is not
the best brand name out there and they are known for making cheaper quality
scopes. I'm assuming you want to buy this one. Perhaps you should consider
looking at a different brand, maybe Celestron, Orion or Skywatcher.

Another thing you could do is try before you buy. Look for yourself through
the scope and literally see what things look like. Hopefully the scope will
be (and can be) collimated too. I mean if it's priced right and does a
decent job, hmm... maybe it would be worth it. Good luck and clear skies.

Emery.
/\^/\^/\
Sun Certified Java Programmer
www.websamba.com/javarobotics/
E-stronomy - Astronomical Resources
www.websamba.com/e-stronomy/
Talking with Tonz - Dance/Alternative Music
www.soundclick.com/talkingwithtonz/

om...

Old August 18th 03, 06:25 PM
Bobsprit

Would I be able to see any detail on Mars with a 4" Tasco reflector?
The current owner says he can see the rings of Saturn with it.

Unless you are 100% limited to the money it takes to buy the Tasco, save for a
6" or bigger scope.

RB
Old August 18th 03, 10:26 PM
John den Haan

You should be able to spot the southern pole cap!

om...

Old August 19th 03, 06:11 AM
ianmcculloch

"John den Haan" wrote in message m...
You should be able to spot the southern pole cap!

"Doc" wrote in message
om...
Would I be able to see any detail on Mars with a 4" Tasco reflector?
The current owner says he can see the rings of Saturn with it.

Thanks for any input!

My friend..try to build your own telescope...always is better...

Take a look to this :

http://tie.jpl.nasa.gov/tie/dobson/

http://www.saao.ac.za/~wpk/atm.html

Bye!
Old August 19th 03, 11:56 AM
Bobsprit

My friend..try to build your own telescope...always is better...

Only if you want to build a telescope. I've been observing for years and NEVER
want to build a scope. I'd rather spend time observing.

Capt RB