Another Telescope Question

Old August 5th 03, 01:26 AM
Usenet

Default Another Telescope Question

Sorry folks. I'm about as beginner as you can get and have a chance to buy
two different telescopes at decent prices and hope that someone here has
experience with eitherof them or can at minimum tell me what they think of
each.
I am really eager to see Mars and don't want to get so carried away that I
buy a bad or inappropriate scope for the viewing. I would appreaciate any
comments about what this scope will allow me to see,Planets,Stars,Milky
Way....etc
1. Celestron NexStar 114GT.
NexStar GT Series 114GT Specifications:
a.. 114mm (4.5") diameter Newtonian Reflector
b.. 1000mm Focal Length
c.. f/9 Focal Ratio
d.. Motorized Altazimuth Mount
e.. 4,000+ object database
f.. Nine slew speeds: 4º /sec, 2º /sec, 1º/sec, .5 /sec, 32x, 16x, 8x, 4x,
2x
g.. Weight: 15 lb.
The NexStar GT Series 114GT Standard Accessories:

a.. 1-1/4" 25mm (40x), 10mm (100x) Eyepieces
b.. Computerized Hand Control
c.. StarPointer Finderscope
d.. The Sky Level I CD-ROM
e.. NSOL Control Software
f.. Sturdy, Adjustable Aluminum Tripod with Accessory Tray.
2. Unknown Manufacturer

a.. Objective Mirror: Concave mirror, hard coated
a.. Lens Clear Apertu 150mm (6 inches)
a.. Focal Length: 1400mm
a.. Resolving Power: 0.93"
a.. Faintest Discernable Object: 12M
a.. Mount: ET-8 Equatorial
a.. Focusing: Rack and pinion focusing
a.. Collimation: Mirror is collimated before shipment. Primary tube has
collimation adjustment screws. Collimation aides and instructions are not
included.
a.. Primary Tube Length: 19 inches
a.. Plossl 25mm Eyepiece:
a.. Diameter: 1.25 inches. An adaptor ring for .965" eyepieces is
included with this telescope.
a.. Magnification: 56x; 2x more with the Barlow lens!
a.. Exit Pupil Apertu 5mm
a.. Brightness: 25
a.. Visual Field: Apparent 40°; Actual 51'30"
a.. Plossl 6.5mm Eyepiece:
a.. Diameter: 1.25 inches. An adaptor ring for .965" eyepieces is
included with this telescope.
a.. Magnification: 215x; 2x more with the Barlow lens!
a.. Exit Pupil Apertu 1.5mm
a.. Brightness: 2.25
a.. Visual Field: Apparent 41°; Actual 14'

Old August 5th 03, 04:04 AM
Odysseus

Usenet wrote:

Sorry folks. I'm about as beginner as you can get and have a chance to buy
two different telescopes at decent prices and hope that someone here has
experience with eitherof them or can at minimum tell me what they think of
each.
I am really eager to see Mars and don't want to get so carried away that I
buy a bad or inappropriate scope for the viewing. I would appreaciate any
comments about what this scope will allow me to see,Planets,Stars,Milky
Way....etc

In general the main features to consider are that the "unknown"
6-incher has nearly 80% more light-gathering power, while the smaller
Celestron has "go-to" capabilities that many users find convenient --
although for some people as much of their enjoyment comes from
finding objects as from looking at them. A few specific (mainly
theoretical or hearsay) comments:

1. Celestron NexStar 114GT.

This company seems to have a good reputation.

a.. 1-1/4" 25mm (40x), 10mm (100x) Eyepieces

A pretty good start for DSOs, but for planetary viewing you could use
more magnification where observing conditions permit. A 2X Barlow
would make a good addition for this purpose; used with the 10mm EP it
would give you a good "high-power" option that doesn't exceed the
scope's light-gathering capacity. Otherwise a 4.5mm or 5mm EP would
help round out the set.

2. Unknown Manufacturer

Possibly a problem for warranty service, spare parts, and so on.

a.. Objective Mirror: Concave mirror, hard coated

"Concave" is an odd, if accurate, description. Let's hope it's
parabolic and not spherical.

a.. Mount: ET-8 Equatorial

The mounting is often an inexpensive telescope's weak spot; a good
one usually costs at least as much as the optics. Make sure it is
very sturdy and damps vibration well, and that the gears mesh
smoothly and solidly. Try to find out whether the drive can be fitted
with motors and/or computer controls, so if you wish you'll be able
to add "go-to" capabilities later.

a.. Plossl 25mm Eyepiece:
a.. Diameter: 1.25 inches. An adaptor ring for .965" eyepieces is
included with this telescope.

The adapter is only a benefit if you already have a collection of
..965" EPs. Otherwise you'll have no reason to use it; viewing through
1.25" EPs is much easier.

a.. Plossl 6.5mm Eyepiece:
a.. Magnification: 215x; 2x more with the Barlow lens!

They don't seem to mention whether or not a Barlow is actually
included. You're likely to be disappointed with magnifications
greater than 300X with this size of scope, anyway, so the
shortest-focus eyepice you should be considering to use with a 2X
Barlow is about 10mm, or without a Barlow 5mm.

--
Odysseus
Old August 5th 03, 09:41 AM
The Lord

I tend to think that a 4.5" Reflector isnt really much use for Astronomy.
I think The minimum is around 6" for a reflector to be honest.

Old August 5th 03, 04:01 PM
Starlord

Not so! I used a Stargazer Steve 4.25in f9 Dob for 4 years ( still have it ) and
I even used it for Sidewalk Astronomy and it was fine.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

Old August 5th 03, 08:58 PM
David Knisely

Hi there. You posted:

I tend to think that a 4.5" Reflector isnt really much use for Astronomy.
I think The minimum is around 6" for a reflector to be honest.

I would have to disagree here. A 4.5 inch scope of reasonable quality is able
to show the craters on the moon, the belts and 4 largest moons of Jupiter, the
Rings of Saturn and at least 3 of its moons, the phases of Venus and Mercury,
the polar caps and some dark detail on Mars (near opposition), the disk of
Uranus, Neptune, hundreds of double stars, all of the Messier Deep-sky
objects, close to half of the Herschel 400 Deep-sky objects, variable stars,
comets, eclipses, ect. As a beginner, I would just about have sold my right
arm for a 4.5 inch. Larger scope will, of course, show more, but a 4.5 inch
still has lots of uses in amateur astronomy. Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old August 5th 03, 09:06 PM
The Lord

Yes thats true, Its just he mantioned being able to get a 6" scope.....
I started out with a 2" refractor for couple of quid taht had terrible
optics and that got me hooked so any optics are a bonus.....

Hi there. You posted:

Old August 16th 03, 04:28 PM
GoldfishPanda

If he can afford it, those new Orion Dobs with the "push-to" ability are
really sweet.

If that had been available, I wouldn't have bought my Starax 127mm.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Buying a scope from an "unknown" builder is a bad idea. Good optics don't

grow
on trees.
Buy a 6 inch or 8 inch scope from a known company such as Celestron or

Orion.

Capt Robert B
NY

Old August 17th 03, 07:10 AM
GoldfishPanda

Yea, everyone loves the Orion dobs. I really like the new computers that can
be hooked to them now. Almost like a GOTO scope...

"mumblin-joe" wrote in message
I love my Orion 10" newt, and the orion dob mount is awesome with fluid
movement, well maybe not quite fluid but much more stable and easier to

move
than most any other dob mount i've used!

Old August 18th 03, 04:23 AM
mumblin-joe

Damn, I hadn't seen the new dob mounts Orion has! The model I have is a
couple of years old and the new goto models makes me wish I had waited.
Maybe I'll sell my old one on ebay and upgrade to the new one with the
motorized mount and computerized option. Does anyone out there have the new
model that can attest to the goto capabilities? Does it slew well and what
are the arc second degrees it is capable of? I was going to try and setup
some stepper motors on my dob mount and attempt to computerize it that way,
but it looks like Orion has gone a step further! I would like to hear from
anyone that has the new scope either pro or con!

news