Building a Base on Mars

Old July 30th 03, 05:22 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Building a Base on Mars

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
The best spot to build a base on Mars would be its north pole. Seems
to me its dust storms would not be as bad as at the equator. The north
pole if it has water it would be the material the dome would be made
from. Water is a great building material(ask any Eskimo) and the best
part is its there(hopefully) We can easily get oxygen from water,and
the free energy of hydrogen. The dome would cover the Mars lander,and
could be kept as warm and humid as Florida.Make a nice hot house to grow
soy beans,lima beans,and have a big fish tank(a few million trout eggs
don't take up much room) Trout goes good with soy beans. Think of it as
a Chinese dinner. Bert PS no egg roll,or finger bowls

Bert, my martian geography is not great, but I'd fear the temps at the north
pole would be extreme.

BV.

Old July 30th 03, 06:23 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

BV Colder than the Mars equator,but ice is a great insulator it does
not like going much lower than 32 degrees. Eskimos keep their igloo at
46 degrees with just a blubber flame with a hole in the roof. The
melting ice on the igloos walls gives them running water. On Mars this
running water and lima beans would be the soup of the day. For the Mars
astronauts it would be the soup every day except Friday. On Friday its
trout chowder. Bert

Old July 30th 03, 06:54 PM
BenignVanilla

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
BV Colder than the Mars equator,but ice is a great insulator it does
not like going much lower than 32 degrees. Eskimos keep their igloo at
46 degrees with just a blubber flame with a hole in the roof. The
melting ice on the igloos walls gives them running water. On Mars this
running water and lima beans would be the soup of the day. For the Mars
astronauts it would be the soup every day except Friday. On Friday its
trout chowder. Bert

The menu alone would keep me from visiting. Maybe I can sneak some
ramon's up.

I think situating the base near a source of water is a good idea, but I also
think we would need to include a hard structure. Nature can't be trusted to
keep that dome airtight.

BV.

Old July 30th 03, 08:41 PM
Ron Miller

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

[...]

If I'm not mistaken some of Mars' biggest dust storms have occured around
the poles (there are some nifty Hubble photos of them), so I don't think
that avoiding dust storms would be a very good reason to locate a base at
either pole.

Old July 30th 03, 09:34 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , BenignVanilla
writes

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
BV Colder than the Mars equator,but ice is a great insulator it does
not like going much lower than 32 degrees. Eskimos keep their igloo at
46 degrees with just a blubber flame with a hole in the roof. The
melting ice on the igloos walls gives them running water. On Mars this
running water and lima beans would be the soup of the day. For the Mars
astronauts it would be the soup every day except Friday. On Friday its
trout chowder. Bert

The menu alone would keep me from visiting. Maybe I can sneak some
ramon's up.

I'll second that. I read that they are trying growing beans in the space
station as a source of food.
Beans in a closed environment are not a good idea!
--
"Roads in space for rockets to travel....four-dimensional roads, curving with
relativity"
Old July 30th 03, 10:14 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

R I'll go where water might be. That is the main theme of my post.
Bert

Old July 31st 03, 12:43 AM
CeeBee

Jonathan Silverlight wrote

Beans in a closed environment are not a good idea!

Taking about depressions and heavy storms...

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

Old July 31st 03, 01:27 AM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Well giving it more thought the best place might be the valley between
to tall clifts. The reason for that is it blocks out most of the sky.
With just a very thin atmosphere I think it best to stay in the shade.
Might be best to build a base on the lowest orbiting Mars moon. That way
we could see a lot of Mars,and not worry about dust storms. Landing on a
Mars moon could be a lot easier. It might even have just enough gravity
to make a toilet work without spending $32,000,000 for a vacuum toilet.
Bert

Old July 31st 03, 03:28 AM
Douglas A. Shrader

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Well giving it more thought the best place might be the valley between
to tall clifts. The reason for that is it blocks out most of the sky.
With just a very thin atmosphere I think it best to stay in the shade.
Might be best to build a base on the lowest orbiting Mars moon. That way
we could see a lot of Mars,and not worry about dust storms. Landing on a
Mars moon could be a lot easier. It might even have just enough gravity
to make a toilet work without spending $32,000,000 for a vacuum toilet.
Bert

Your Martian moon idea is interesting.

Old July 31st 03, 08:02 AM
Odysseus

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

Well giving it more thought the best place might be the valley between
to tall clifts. The reason for that is it blocks out most of the sky.
With just a very thin atmosphere I think it best to stay in the shade.
Might be best to build a base on the lowest orbiting Mars moon. That way
we could see a lot of Mars,and not worry about dust storms. Landing on a
Mars moon could be a lot easier. It might even have just enough gravity
to make a toilet work without spending $32,000,000 for a vacuum toilet.

In Kim Stanley Robinson's excellent _Red Mars_ trilogy a number of
settlements are built by building roofs over canyons, and even domes
over small craters. I think some sunshine would be welcome to take
the edge off the chill, and create a "greenhouse effect" under skylights.

--
Odysseus