Anyone know how this scam works?

Old October 30th 03, 10:57 PM
Nagas Larc

Default Anyone know how this scam works?

Alert posted to Canada Wide Buy and Sell by Ron Mills:

AD WARNING: Beware of this type of response
I advertised a mount yesterday and got this response from someone in
Europe (this crap always comes from Europe):

John Daniels 10/29/03 08:15AM

We are interested in buying your above mentioned products at
advertised rate. Goods to be shipped to London. Cost and modalities of
shipping to be born by us.

Payment for the purchase is by check through a debtor in US. The
debtor owes us higher than our purchase. He will therefore be sending
you a check for $5,000 to cover the cost of our order, as well as the
Shipping costs.

On receipt of the check, you will cash and deduct the cost of our
order .The balance you will send as we would instruct you to the
Agency that will ship the Goods to us. If this arrangement suites you
fine, please send us your address where to send the check, as well as
the name to be on it. Also send us your phone number for easy
communication.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Best Regards

MR. JOHN DANIELS.

I don't know if this is a laundering scheme or what but the alarm
bells started ringing pretty quick. It has to be a form letter. I like
the line: "your above mentioned products at advertised rate"...the
morons don't even put in the time to check what the ad is for or how
much it costs.

Old October 30th 03, 11:13 PM
Michael A. Covington

In effect, they're asking you to cash a check for a third party that you've
never heard of, and which is probably bogus.

I would say that since it's a third party, it must be a certified check for
the amount actually owed for me -- I am not a bank and am not in the
business of doing financial transactions for other people.

Old October 30th 03, 11:39 PM
Joe S.

Here is a simple test:

Is it found on the WWW or did it come via e-mail and does it involve money?

It does? Trash it.
--

----
Joe S.

Old October 31st 03, 12:03 AM
Rod Mollise

I would say that since it's a third party, it must be a certified check for
the amount actually owed for me -- I am not a bank and am not in the
business of doing financial transactions for other people

I would tell 'em to forget it. Have them send a check, perferably certified,
from _themselves_, not a third party. If they send a personal check of some
kind, tell them you'll be waiting for it to clear.

This could be legit...but it stinks to high, high heaven if you ask me.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
Old October 31st 03, 04:14 AM
Jon Isaacs

This could be legit...but it stinks to high, high heaven if you ask me.

Just tell em you have a friend in Nigeria that needs some help with banking and
you think maybe they could help him.

jon isaacs

Old October 31st 03, 04:40 AM
Michael A. Covington

Further to previous, this may be a variant of a scam Clark Howard was
talking about on the radio today, often done when buying a car from the
owner. In this case they seem to be using the great distance to facilitate
it.

They give you a check that is bogus, in a way that takes several weeks to
detect. (Counterfeit bank cashier's checks are what Clark Howard was
describing.) They take the money and run.

You're quite right to be suspicious of anything that involves money and
people not directly involved in the transaction.

Old October 31st 03, 06:45 AM
Bill Goodart

This is a well known and documented scam.

The scammer is hoping that you will deposit the check into your
account and then sent him the requested balance before the check
bounces. Most banks will then request YOU to make good on the check.
Old October 31st 03, 11:42 PM
William Hamblen

On 2003-10-30, Nagas Larc wrote:

I don't know if this is a laundering scheme or what but the alarm
bells started ringing pretty quick. It has to be a form letter. I like
the line: "your above mentioned products at advertised rate"...the
morons don't even put in the time to check what the ad is for or how
much it costs.

The check is a forgery. By the time the bank tells you the check is no
good you've already sent your money to the thieves. Any screwy sounding
scheme like this is just a scheme to screw you.

--
When the fog came in on little cat feet last night, it left these little
muddy paw prints on the hood of my car.