Stanford wins DARPA Grand Challenge - Carnegie Mellon takes 2nd & 3rd

Old October 9th 05, 11:50 PM
Ben

Default Stanford wins DARPA Grand Challenge - Carnegie Mellon takes 2nd & 3rd

7 hours 32 minutes for Stanford.

The CMU teams came in within 20 minutes or so after that.

I was disappointed with the "webcast" that there was supposed to be.
(www.grandchallenge.org)

There were 2 audio updates and the real-time updates of standings had
serious problems.

At one point, ALL of the listed standings were revised to show fewer
miles than they had a half-hou before that.

And if you look at it now, the clock is still running on the 3 teams
that finished.

At least 1 team that was shown as eliminated at 81 miles, now shows
they made it 97 miles.

3 teams are still making progress - or so it says.

All the rest failed to make it.

Only 1 team failed to make it out of the gate.

Old October 10th 05, 07:17 PM
snidely

Ben wrote:
7 hours 32 minutes for Stanford.

The CMU teams came in within 20 minutes or so after that.

The PDF press release at
http://www.grandchallenge.org/downloads/GC05%20Winner.pdf includes
the following:

quote
The first four finishers entered the history books as being the first
ground vehicle robots to travel a great distance at relatively high
speed within a specified time frame. Stanley's average speed over the
131.6-mile desert course was 19.1 mph. Sandstorm averaged 18.6 mph,
H1ghlander 18.2 mph, and KAT-5 17.5 mph.
/quote

Couldn't follow the webcast; no cell service over most of the Long
Beach-Catalina course, and the sailboat I was on didn't have satellite
phone or Dish TV.

Congrats Stanford, CMU, Gray Team, and Terramax.

/dps

Old October 11th 05, 02:01 AM
snidely

The Independent noted:

"One popular finisher was a converted Ford Escape with a hybrid
petrol-electric engine. It had been built by students from the New
Orleans suburb of Metairie, who qualified for the race despite the
upheavals of Hurricane Katrina, which destroyed many of their homes.
Their vehicle came in fourth"

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article318320.ece

/dps

Old October 11th 05, 02:23 AM
snidely

My personal favorite, Oregon WAVE Runner, didn't make it out of NQE.
They've blogged some of the lessons learned at
http://oregonstate.edu/grandchallenge/drupal/node/55

/dps

Old October 11th 05, 06:00 AM
Earl Colby Pottinger

"snidely" :

Ben wrote:
7 hours 32 minutes for Stanford.

The CMU teams came in within 20 minutes or so after that.

The PDF press release at
http://www.grandchallenge.org/downloads/GC05%20Winner.pdf includes
the following:

quote
The first four finishers entered the history books as being the first
ground vehicle robots to travel a great distance at relatively high
speed within a specified time frame. Stanley's average speed over the
131.6-mile desert course was 19.1 mph. Sandstorm averaged 18.6 mph,
H1ghlander 18.2 mph, and KAT-5 17.5 mph.
/quote

Couldn't follow the webcast; no cell service over most of the Long
Beach-Catalina course, and the sailboat I was on didn't have satellite
phone or Dish TV.

Congrats Stanford, CMU, Gray Team, and Terramax.

Since the main page is all flash - I can view a thing if I log on. However
thanks to the above URL Ifound I can go to

http://www.grandchallenge.org/downloads/

And the files are all there!!! Happy Days all.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to