How to get moon phases as a series in Excel??

Old June 26th 04, 12:37 PM
Michael Levin

Default How to get moon phases as a series in Excel??

I'm a biologist working with some circadian rhythm data. I need to be able
to make a chart in excel where the X axis is dates, with correct phases of
the moon for each phase. What is the easiest way to get moon phase series
into an excel sheet?

--

Mike Levin

Old June 26th 04, 12:57 PM
Rick

"Michael Levin" wrote in message ...
I'm a biologist working with some circadian rhythm data. I need to be able
to make a chart in excel where the X axis is dates, with correct phases of
the moon for each phase. What is the easiest way to get moon phase series
into an excel sheet?

If it's any help, a program called Astronomy Lab will
generate these charts automatically:
http://www.personalmicrocosms.com/html/ss_alw32.html

You can copy/paste them into Excel.

Rick

Old June 26th 04, 02:13 PM
Greg Neill

"Michael Levin" wrote in message
I'm a biologist working with some circadian rhythm data. I need to be able
to make a chart in excel where the X axis is dates, with correct phases of
the moon for each phase. What is the easiest way to get moon phase series
into an excel sheet?

Presumably you want to draw several charts for different
date ranges, so simply plugging the dates of Moon phases
in by hand will not be sufficient?

Chapter 49 of Jean Meeus' Astronomical Algorithms gives
formulae for the dates of the mean phases of the Moon
(dates of New Moon, First Quarter, Full Moon, Last Quarter).

Old July 2nd 04, 09:37 AM
EvolBob

Hi Mike.
If you send me the file I can set it up in Excel to do whatever you'd like.

Excel has several ways to import text or other data.
Open Excel and use File Open, then change the type you are looking for the file you have (txt, csv, doc ...), and XL will see if
it can parse the data for you Automatically.
There may be some prompts via the Text to Columns feature.

Regards
Robert

"Michael Levin" wrote in message ...
I'm a biologist working with some circadian rhythm data. I need to be able
to make a chart in excel where the X axis is dates, with correct phases of
the moon for each phase. What is the easiest way to get moon phase series
into an excel sheet?

--

Mike Levin

---