The Moons of Mars

Old August 23rd 03, 01:04 PM
Painius

Default The Moons of Mars

"George" wrote...
in message news:lRw1b.4175$j26.576@lakeread02...
. . .
While Deimos rises in the East and sets in the West just like the
Earth's moon, Phobos does just the opposite - it rises in the West
and sets in the East. Of course this is as seen from the surface of
Mars. It is an exceedingly spectacular site to look up and see
not just two moons (as if that wouldn't be spectacular enough)
but Phobos passing in front of Deimos and travelling ass-backwards.
At least, it seemed awfully impressive to me the last time I was
there.

Interesting joke, however, if i'm not mistaken, neither Deimos nor
Phobos is reflective enough to be seen from the surface of Mars.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Sweet home, oh Precious Earth,
The ONLY home we know,

Do you want our hearts to beat
And thrive within your air?
Then teach us what we know we need
So we can learn to care.

Paine Ellsworth

Old August 23rd 03, 03:26 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message
, Painius
writes
"George" wrote...
in message news:lRw1b.4175$j26.576@lakeread02...
. . .
While Deimos rises in the East and sets in the West just like the
Earth's moon, Phobos does just the opposite - it rises in the West
and sets in the East. Of course this is as seen from the surface of
Mars. It is an exceedingly spectacular site to look up and see
not just two moons (as if that wouldn't be spectacular enough)
but Phobos passing in front of Deimos and travelling ass-backwards.
At least, it seemed awfully impressive to me the last time I was
there.

Interesting joke, however, if i'm not mistaken, neither Deimos nor
Phobos is reflective enough to be seen from the surface of Mars.

Why not? They won't be as spectacular as the SF images ("Total Recall"
and "Space: Above and Beyond" come to mind) but they will be clearly
visible unless you're near the poles. They are both slightly less
reflective than our moon, but much closer.
Bill Gray's "Guide" puts you on Mars and gives a view of the moons,
though it currently doesn't show their true shape.
Right now (1500 GMT) they both show crescents. Phobos is 22%
illuminated, magnitude -5.8 and 7 arc minutes across, and Deimos is 5%
illuminated, magnitude -0.3 and only 2 arc minutes across.
--
"Roads in space for rockets to travel....four-dimensional roads, curving with
relativity"
Old August 23rd 03, 05:29 PM
Erazor

"Painius" ha scritto nel messaggio
Interesting joke, however, if i'm not mistaken, neither Deimos nor
Phobos is reflective enough to be seen from the surface of Mars.

so why can we see them on Earth ?

Old August 23rd 03, 05:35 PM
steve@nospam-[roteus.demon.co.uk

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:29:52 GMT, "Erazor"
wrote:

"Painius" ha scritto nel messaggio
Interesting joke, however, if i'm not mistaken, neither Deimos nor
Phobos is reflective enough to be seen from the surface of Mars.

so why can we see them on Earth ?

Put simply, because we are viewing them from a different angle

Looking for astro bits and pieces?
http://members.ebay.co.uk/aboutme/orpheus1959
Old August 28th 03, 02:49 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Painius It would be nice if we could see that low fast moving moon
by one of the rovers. I saw a picture of its shadow on Mars surface.
Seems if Mars was seen like our moon in white light rather than red it
would be more intense. On mars would the earth be seen in blue light?
Now that the earth is so close to Mars could the moon be seen? Or is it
to close to the earth? I"m not trying to be prejudice just because I was
born here,but the earth and its moon have to make a spectacular view as
seen from Mars. The earth being closer to the sun,and its bigger
reflection area,and when Mars and earth are facing,well that picture
taken from Mars would sell a lot of post cards. Bert