Have I bought a lemon

Old August 27th 03, 11:07 PM
Tim Longwell

Default Have I bought a lemon

I have a Bushnell Voyager 4.5 x 675mm and have had Very Nice views with Mars
this opposition using a 7.5mm Sirius Plosl by itself and a 10mm on a 2x
Orion Shorty Barlow.

I have even seen the Eagle Nebula with a 17mm Sirius eyepiece using this
Bushnell. So they can perform quite well for a low cost scope.

Unless Bushnell ahs changed their packaging lately the "Stock" eyepieces
that come with the scope are .965 Kelner eyepieces and the Barlow is a 3x
that uses a plastic lenses. (Based on what shipped with mine).

Also these are reflector type telescopes, you may have a collimation (mirror
alignment) issue that is affecting your viewing as well.

I suggest finding a local Astronomy Club and ask their help. They can let
you use better eyepieces and check the Mirror alignment of the optics for
you. You will also benefit from their experience and learn much faster. Some
Clubs also offer loaner scopes and eyepieces to members in good standing.

--
Clear Skies!

========
Tim Longwell
Black River Astronomical Society
http://junior.apk.net/~arstar50/BlackRiver.index.html
Elyria, Ohio

=========

"Robert Summerfield" wrote in message
.. .
I have just purchased my first telescope, a Bushnell 675x4.5" reflector.

It
came with 2 eyepieces 20mm & 4mm plus a x3 Barlow lens. The image is good
using just the 20mm lens but with the Barlow it doesn't focus sharply, The
4mm doesn't give pin sharp images either (am I expecting to much). the

build
quality of the actual telescope seems fine but the finderscope and

eyepieces
seem very low quality. If I replace the Barlow and Buy a new eyepiece of
reputable quality will it improve the quality of the image? If yes can
anyone recommend a quality brand that I can purchase? Does anyone know

much
of the Bushnell telescopes? Have I bought a lemon.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can give some advise to an over

enthusiastic
new comer.