astrophotography with a CHEAP Kodak camera

Old August 20th 03, 06:27 AM
Vince Aguilar, Jr.

Default astrophotography with a CHEAP Kodak camera

Hello.

I am just getting started in Astronomy(looking to purchase the Celestron
Nexstar 130GT 5" reflector) and I was wondering when I do get to trying
astrophotography with a digital camera, would it be feasible to use a cheap
Kodak DC3200?? Here are the specs:

CCD Resolution 1,344 x 971=1.31 millions of pixels (total number of
pixels)
Picture Resolution Best/ Better 1,152 x 864=995,328 pixels
Good 576 x 432=248,832 pixels
Color 24-bit, millions of colors
Picture File Format JPEG
Picture Storage Internal 2 MB flash memory
External ATA-compatible CompactFlash card
Viewfinder Virtual image
ASA/ISO Sensitivity 100
Flash Range 5 to 8 ft (1.5 to 2.4 m)
Lens Type Optical quality glass
Maximum Aperture F/3.6
Focal Length 39 mm (equivalent to 35 mm camera)5.4 mm (actual)
Focus Distance (fixed) 2 ft (0.6 m) to infinity

I really dont want to buy another camera just yet. I was curious if anyone
has tried it with this one or could determine if it is even possible. If
not, what is the most inexpensive digital camera out there right now that
would work for, let's say, moon shots and basic planetary/star pics?

Thanks,
Vincent

Old August 20th 03, 01:08 PM
Wally Anglesea™

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 05:27:34 GMT, "Vince Aguilar, Jr."
wrote:

[...]

I've been using a DX4330, hooked up to my Meade ETX 105, and I'm
getting some nice Moon shots.

I'll be trying out sun shots with my new solar filter (bought this
week, and it's CLOUDY).

You need bright objects. If I set the Kodak for 4 second shots, I can
pick up bright clusters. As I get better, I'll have better tracking.
I found using the 20mm eyepice is the best result.

I'm happy.

My wife has the SLR cameras, and she won't let me get one yet. Seems
I've "spent quite enough already" :-))

--

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."