Neutron "Star" Hmmmm ???

Old August 16th 03, 06:30 AM
David Knisely

Bert posted:

Well now that we know that neutrons,and protons are made of quarks they
have a sameness,but why does the proton have a charge?

The proton has a positivenet charge because it contains two up quarks (charge
+2/3rds the charge of an electron) and one down quark (charge -1/3rd the
charge of the electron). The two up quarks have a total charge of a
*positive* 4/3rds the charge of an electron, and the one down quark subtracts
a third, leaving us with a +3/3 (ie: one) charge or a positive charge of the
same magnitude but opposite polarity to an electron.

The proton does not have a neutrino,like the neutron

The neutron doesn't have a neutrino either. It contains quarks.

Could the neutrino be the reason neutrons have no charge?

No. The reason is the total charges of the quarks inside add up to zero. A
neutron contains a single up quark (charge +2/3e) and two down quarks (charge
of -1/3e each), so the total net charge (+2/3rds - 1/3rd - 1/3rd) adds up to
zero and the neutron remains neutral.

Never could figure out what nature used the neutrino for.

Its needed to conserve momentum in some reactions.

Would like to know why the top quark is so heavy.

Probably because it ate too much pasta :-).

--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old August 16th 03, 11:21 AM
Painius

"David Knisely" wrote in message...

Bert posted:
. . .
Would like to know why the top quark is so heavy.

Probably because it ate too much pasta :-).

g Very Good, David...

....spoken like a true smart-ass. ))

--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:
http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Gaia shadow come November,
Does this bode well for December?

Paine Ellsworth

Old August 16th 03, 06:27 PM
UndiFineD

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
David Your best answer was the top quark eat more pasta. If you
thought about it just saying two down quarks and one up means the
neutron has no charge is just a fudge. This is true because you can"t
tell me why this is true. I have a theory that fractal charged
particles exist in the altrasub-microscopic realm.
Bert

I'd suggest the protons and neutrons have beer at quarks

Old August 16th 03, 06:45 PM
David Knisely

Bert blurted out:

If you
thought about it just saying two down quarks and one up means the
neutron has no charge is just a fudge. This is true because you can"t
tell me why this is true.

Bert, I tell you the facts and you just keep turning around and disputing
them. Its a tired old line of defense similar to "begging the question", and
its a sign of immaturity as well as a sign that you do not desire to learn
some things. From particle accelerator probings, the structure inside the
proton and the neutron has been known to be complex for a long time,
indicating that something was inside. The quark model is currently the
accepted one by virtually all of modern Physics. Its predictions have turned
out to be accurate. I didn't fudge anything. I told you why the neutron has
no charge and why the proton has the amount of charge that it does. If you
can't accept this, that is just too bad, because the problem isn't with the
Physics, but with you.

Old August 17th 03, 02:20 AM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

David What you are saying to me for the proton to have a charge it needs
two up quarks and one down quark,and for the neutron to have no charge
it has two down quarks and one up quark,and as you put it "that is a
fact" Ha Ha Ha David since I know you can't think,can I ask you
what do you do? Tell me anything. Bert

Old August 17th 03, 07:50 PM
Bill Duncan

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

David You are the first one to knock my "what if" post. I stop posting
and got email from all over the world to keep it up. David do you read
it? You do like to read(yes) Today's "what if" posting I'll dedicate to
you. Bert

Hey Bert;You say you got email from"all over the world" to keep

posting but not one single person in this newsgroup made a post
wondering where you were.These people from"all over the world" must not
be in this newsgroup.Bill.
Old August 17th 03, 11:34 PM
John den Haan

Sorry, but I can't stand this childish behaviour. SHUT UP! Both of you!

You (David and Bert) both are widely respected and acknowledged here. You
both come here regularly and are partly responsible for this fairly nice
alt.astronomy 'community' we have here. Don't ruin your reputation (and this
group) by being so childish to eachother. If you do not agree with eachother
I am sure there are 1000s of ways to deal with that in a *civil* and *grown
up* way.

BEHAVE!

Thank you,

John ;-)

Old August 18th 03, 03:00 PM
BenignVanilla

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote
snip
I stop posting and got email from all over the world to keep it up.

snip
Bill Some of my email came from people in this group,and its true the
ones from Japan,Russia Germany etc, don't post here,or not very often.

snip

If they don't post here, how can they email to encourage you to post, when
you stop? I am confused. Sounds (iffy).

BV.