ISS is growing

Old June 26th 13, 02:55 AM posted to sci.space.station
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default ISS is growing

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/...to-watch-live/

While the Chinese are working on their space station, ISS plans for an
additional Russian science module.

Old June 26th 13, 08:09 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Is it not replacing an existing module though?

Hmm, could this be the space version of the everlasting Broom, its only had
ten handles and three heads.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
m...

Old June 26th 13, 01:06 PM posted to sci.space.station
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message ...

Is it not replacing an existing module though?

No. It's an addition.

Hmm, could this be the space version of the everlasting Broom, its only had
ten handles and three heads.

That's yet to come. But it's a possibility.

Brian

Old June 26th 13, 06:54 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article ,
says...

Is it not replacing an existing module though?

Yes, the Russian Multipurpose Laboratory Module (MLM) will replace the
Pirs Docking Compartment. I believe that the MLM was based on hardware
which was originally to become FGB-2. From what I remember, the US
insisted on a backup in case there was a problem with FGB-1. Once FGB-1
was successfully launched, work on the module, configured as FGB-2, was
suspended.

Hmm, could this be the space version of the everlasting Broom, its only had
ten handles and three heads.

Not really. There are key "core" ISS modules which would be hard, to
extremely difficult, to swap. In addition to a link to a picture (at
the bottom of this post), I'll attempt to describe the configuration
using words.

On the US side, for example, the US truss is attached to the Destiny
laboratory. I'd imagine replacing Destiny would be quite difficult,
partly due to the truss, and partly because it's attached to both Node `
1 and Node 2, which are each attached to other modules.

On the Russian side, the Zarya Control Module (FGB-1) and the Zvezda
Service Module (DOS-8, a Salyut style module originally intended to be
the core module for Mir-2) are not only connected to each other, but are
also connected to the US side and to several other Russian modules.

So, the "core" of ISS consists of the following modules, essentially all
cylinders whose axes are all aligned along a central axis, in the
following order: Zvezda, Zarya, PMA-1, Node 1, US Lab, Node 2, and PMA-
2. In addition to the truss being attached to the US Lab module, all
other modules are attached radially to: Zvezda, Zarya, Node 1, and Node
2.

A pictu
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ain_ISS_config
..jpg

Jeff
Old June 27th 13, 04:22 AM posted to sci.space.station
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

says...

Is it not replacing an existing module though?

Yes, the Russian Multipurpose Laboratory Module (MLM) will replace the
Pirs Docking Compartment. I believe that the MLM was based on hardware
which was originally to become FGB-2. From what I remember, the US
insisted on a backup in case there was a problem with FGB-1. Once FGB-1
was successfully launched, work on the module, configured as FGB-2, was
suspended.

Huh, I stand corrected. I knew it was going on a nadir port, didn't realize
it was replacing Pirs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipu...oratory_Module

Hmm, could this be the space version of the everlasting Broom, its only
had
ten handles and three heads.

Not really. There are key "core" ISS modules which would be hard, to
extremely difficult, to swap. In addition to a link to a picture (at
the bottom of this post), I'll attempt to describe the configuration
using words.

While I tend to agree, I don't underestimate the ingenuity of engineers. :-)

That said if anything were to happen it's more likely it would "grow" at one
and end shrink at the other.

Not to get Bob's hopes up, but if the station lasts long enough, I could see
it eventually boosted to a higher orbit simply as an artifact of some sorts
instead of de-orbiting it. But that said, I wouldn't place good money on
it.

It is interesting to look at how varied the station is in terms of what's
flown, what's still proposed, what has been cancelled. And the vehicles to
get there.