Engine in Rocket Park at JSC

Old November 8th 06, 12:51 AM posted to sci.space.history
Doug Krause

Default Engine in Rocket Park at JSC

In Rocket Park at the Johnson Space Center there are 3
engines on display outside the Saturn V building. 2 of
them are F-1 and J-2 for the Saturn V. I want to know
what the third one is and what it is for.

In this picture you can see a J-2 at the lower left next
to the Mercury-Redstone. The one I'm interested in is
the lower right, closer to the Little Joe II. Thanks.

http://aesp.nasa.okstate.edu/fieldgu...2/DCP_3088.JPG

http://tinyurl.com/y3j7nr

Old November 8th 06, 02:58 AM posted to sci.space.history
Doug Krause

In article ,
Jorge R. Frank wrote:
If vague memory serves, that's an H-1 (Saturn IB first stage).

Looks like that's it, thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-1_%28rocket_engine%29

Old November 8th 06, 03:07 AM posted to sci.space.history
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Jorge R. Frank wrote:
...The one I'm interested in is
the lower right, closer to the Little Joe II. Thanks.
http://aesp.nasa.okstate.edu/fieldgu...2/DCP_3088.JPG

If vague memory serves, that's an H-1 (Saturn IB first stage).

Correct. That's an H-1, but it's a little hard to recognize at first
glance because it's missing the distinctive turbine-exhaust heat exchanger
used to warm pressurant GOX. If you enlarge that part of the photo, you can
see that there's a black duct coming out of the turbopump assembly (at the
top) which ends in a faintly reddish cover, and facing it near the end of
the nozzle is a similar-sized duct which spreads into a manifold that
wraps around the nozzle exit. The heat exchanger was a cylinder
connecting the two.

(The manifold dumps the spent turbine gas into the exhaust stream, solving
the problem of how to get rid of said gas.)

The H-1 was developed for the Saturn I first stage, as yet another variant
of the Navaho/Atlas/Thor/Jupiter main engine (this one had all the pumps
mounted on the engine), and repeatedly uprated for the improved Saturn I and
then the Saturn IB.
Old November 8th 06, 03:51 AM posted to sci.space.history
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Doug Krause wrote:
If vague memory serves, that's an H-1 (Saturn IB first stage).

Looks like that's it, thanks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-1_%28rocket_engine%29

Hmm, interesting, their drawing too is missing the heat exchanger...
Old November 8th 06, 05:49 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Henry Spencer" wrote in message
Jorge R. Frank wrote:
...The one I'm interested in is
the lower right, closer to the Little Joe II. Thanks.
http://aesp.nasa.okstate.edu/fieldgu...2/DCP_3088.JPG

Huh, I don't recall the Little Joe II being there before. Am I just
forgetful or is that new?

Old November 8th 06, 05:58 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jorge R. Frank

"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote in
ink.net:

Jorge R. Frank wrote:
...The one I'm interested in is
the lower right, closer to the Little Joe II. Thanks.
http://aesp.nasa.okstate.edu/fieldgu.../jsc/littlej2/
DCP_3088.JPG

Huh, I don't recall the Little Joe II being there before. Am I just
forgetful or is that new?

It's been there. There's been three rockets at the JSC Rocket Park (Saturn
V, Little Joe II, and Mercury-Redstone) for as long as I can remember.

The rocket engines (F-1, J-2, and H-1) used to be in front of the old
visitor center at Building 2. When Space Center Houston opened and Building
2 closed, they were moved out to Rocket Park so people could still see
them.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old November 8th 06, 08:57 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_4_]

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 23:58:38 -0600, "Jorge R. Frank"
wrote:

The rocket engines (F-1, J-2, and H-1) used to be in front of the old
visitor center at Building 2. When Space Center Houston opened and Building
2 closed, they were moved out to Rocket Park so people could still see
them.

....What I want to know is what happened to the old steel & aluminum
mockup of the LM that was out in front of 2. Nobody at SCD or the JSC
branch of the PAO have a clue, although one of them recalled it being
"disposed of" back in the 70's. One of these days I'll get Mom to dig
up those few Polaroids of that trip to JSC the week A14 was in transit
to the Moon, which has me standing next to it, and an interesting view
of the Duck Ponds as they were before the trees existed.

....On a side note, as I've pointed out before, the Spaceship Gallery
has had some upgrades of late to its exhibits. They've actually got
artifacts from ASTP and STS now, in lighted display cases, as well as
an Apollo Fuel Cell *and* an old MOCR console. The good news is that,
thanks to me(*), the DM Trainer is now in a much better-lit area, but
the bad news is that the MOCR console could use a bit more light. I've
some ideas on how that could be better displayed, and one of these
days I'll do an OMBlog entry on it. Probably about the time I redo the
entire SCD tour page, sometime early next year as time permits. I
really need to get the Skylab 1G trainer page back up with higher-res
pictures.

(*) As I reported a while back, it seems that one of the Mousekateers
who run Space Center Disney came across my ASTP page, and the scathing
negativity I expressed towards the fact that the DM trainer was
sitting in a dark, dank corner, and that there weren't any exhibits on
STS on display; in fact, I chided SCD for the severe lack of space,
noting that it was almost as bad as that one long-closed section that
was nothing but a boring AV display for the kids that no kid ever sat
through more than five minutes of regardless of how much of an old
bitch their teacher was. According to a couple of the jumpsuit
flunkies, the muckitymuck got really ****ed at my commentary, but
instead of writing me a nasty e-mail and telling me where to stick it,
he instead got his bosses to cough up about $500K USD to upgrade the
exhibits. Hopefully he'll be reading it when I make note that they
*really* need to start adding stuff to hype Ares/Orion while the iron
is hot....

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old November 8th 06, 09:18 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_4_]

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 05:49:01 GMT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

Huh, I don't recall the Little Joe II being there before. Am I just
forgetful or is that new?

....That's been there for quite a while, Greg. Either you're forgetful,
or you were just too astonished by the then-visible Saturn V on its
side to notice.

OM
--
Old November 8th 06, 01:27 PM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote in
ink.net:

Huh, I don't recall the Little Joe II being there before. Am I just
forgetful or is that new?

Duh, my mistake, I was thinking KSC, not JSC.

Only been to JSC once and that was about 30 minutes before closing.