SRB reuse query

Old August 19th 05, 11:06 PM
Andrew Gray

Default SRB reuse query

Since I can't find a number easily: about how many times is the average
SRB casing reused, and do they try and reuse pairs together?

--
-Andrew Gray

Old August 20th 05, 03:54 AM
Andy Williams

Andrew Gray wrote:

Since I can't find a number easily: about how many times is the average
SRB casing reused, and do they try and reuse pairs together?

The tour guides at KSC (which is all I have to go on) claim 20 - 25
launches. Interestingly, they also claim the SRB recovery divers have
the most dangerous mission at KSC other than the astronauts.
--
Andy Williams
Old August 20th 05, 03:09 PM
Jorge R. Frank

nmp wrote in newsan.2005.08.20.14.00.46.812957
@is.invalid:

Op Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:54:03 -0400, schreef Andy Williams:

Andrew Gray wrote:

Since I can't find a number easily: about how many times is the average
SRB casing reused, and do they try and reuse pairs together?

The tour guides at KSC (which is all I have to go on) claim 20 - 25
launches. Interestingly, they also claim the SRB recovery divers have
the most dangerous mission at KSC other than the astronauts.

The rockets don't float? Now that surprises me a bit.

They do float, but vertically, and that places the nozzles quite a ways
beneath the surface. Divers are needed to plug the nozzles so that the
water can be pumped out for the tow back.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old August 20th 05, 03:11 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2005-08-20, nmp wrote:

Since I can't find a number easily: about how many times is the average
SRB casing reused, and do they try and reuse pairs together?

The tour guides at KSC (which is all I have to go on) claim 20 - 25
launches. Interestingly, they also claim the SRB recovery divers have
the most dangerous mission at KSC other than the astronauts.

The rockets don't float? Now that surprises me a bit.

Sort of. If memory serves, one end stays above water. The other doesn't.
You have to go down, put a plug in the nozzle, then pump out the water
and tow them in.

--
-Andrew Gray