Early Starlight, first stars

Old April 6th 05, 08:58 AM
Ray Vingnutte

Default Early Starlight, first stars

Do we wave goodbye to this sort of thing when hubble burns up?

Old April 6th 05, 06:26 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Ray Vingnutte
writes

Do we wave goodbye to this sort of thing when hubble burns up?

If it burns before its successor is launched, then yes.
But the successor to HST (it is completed and launched successfully) is
the James Webb Space Telescope, which is specifically aimed at that sort
of distant target.
What we lose is the wonderful results in visible and especially
ultraviolet from objects closer to home.
Losing HST is the equivalent of destroying Mount Palomar - only more
expensive.
Apologies if your question was rhetorical and you already knew that!
Old April 10th 05, 07:17 PM
Ray Vingnutte

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 18:26:19 +0100
Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

In message , Ray Vingnutte
writes

Do we wave goodbye to this sort of thing when hubble burns up?

If it burns before its successor is launched, then yes.
But the successor to HST (it is completed and launched successfully)
is the James Webb Space Telescope, which is specifically aimed at that
sort of distant target.
What we lose is the wonderful results in visible and especially
ultraviolet from objects closer to home.
Losing HST is the equivalent of destroying Mount Palomar - only more
expensive.
Apologies if your question was rhetorical and you already knew that!

Have you seen this..

Old April 11th 05, 09:18 AM
OG

"Ray Vingnutte" wrote in message

Do we wave goodbye to this sort of thing when hubble burns up?

Have you seen this..

I love these new acronyms,
ELT - Extemely Large Telescope
TMT - Thirty Meter(sic) Telescope
OWL - Overwhelmingly Large telescope

I'm just waiting for the anouncement of the
FET - King Enormous Telescope

Old April 13th 05, 01:07 AM
Captain!

"Ray Vingnutte" wrote in message
news

Do we wave goodbye to this sort of thing when hubble burns up?

of course not! it will be sad to see it go for sure but there will be newer
and better ones in the future. (providing there is a future )