SpaceX SN10

Old March 4th 21, 02:51 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

Default SpaceX SN10

It went up, reached its planned altitude of 10 km. Successfully
performed the belly flop and landed softly. So it was good and very
close to being a total success. Unfortunately, it exploded shortly after
landing.

Good luck with SN11 SpaceX.

Alain Fournier
Old March 4th 21, 01:37 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Alain Fournier" wrote in message ...

It went up, reached its planned altitude of 10 km. Successfully performed
the belly flop and landed softly. So it was good and very close to being a
total success. Unfortunately, it exploded shortly after landing.

You mean "attempted 2nd lift off in record turn-around time".
Unfortunately their apparent use of an external combustion engine appears to
have ended in a RUD.

Gotta put the spin on it!

Good luck with SN11 SpaceX.

Alain Fournier

IT Disaster Response -
https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Resp...dp/1484221834/

Old March 4th 21, 09:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

On Mar/4/2021 Ã* 07:37, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote :
"Alain Fournier"Â* wrote in message ...

It went up, reached its planned altitude of 10 km. Successfully
performed the belly flop and landed softly. So it was good and very
close to being a total success. Unfortunately, it exploded shortly
after landing.

You mean "attempted 2nd lift off in record turn-around time".
Unfortunately their apparent use of an external combustion engine
appears to have ended in a RUD.

Gotta put the spin on it!

Yes, you're absolutely right. I will try to remember you if I ever need
a spin doctor.

Alain Fournier
Old March 4th 21, 10:14 PM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

On Wednesday or thereabouts, Alain Fournier declared ...
It went up, reached its planned altitude of 10 km. Successfully performed the
belly flop and landed softly. So it was good and very close to being a total
success. Unfortunately, it exploded shortly after landing.

Good luck with SN11 SpaceX.

It looked to me like the exhaust of one of the engines was more yellow
than the others.

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?
Old March 7th 21, 04:04 AM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 2021-03-04 4:14 PM, Snidely wrote:

It looked to me like the exhaust of one of the engines was more yellow
than the others.

/dps

Yes it appears to have been running fuel rich. There's a bit of dark
smoke involved as well which can be seen in some of the ascent videos.

Also seems to have been a methane leak after bouncedown that eventually
ignited. Also there were seen to be excessive methane leakage even as
SN10 was conducting its single engine power down descent. It
occasionally flared up in flame at least twice and there was a fire
on-going after it came to 'rest' before the rapid unscheduled relaunch
and disassembly.

See Scott Manley video mentioned elsewhere in this thread for details.
As he points out (and I have to agree) the RUD appears to be due to an
oxygen tank pressure failure which ruptured both tanks, largely
propelled the SN10 re-aloft and trigger the subsequent explosion.

The landing 'legs' or pogos as I prefer to call them seem to be the next
issue now. Manley shows video that clearly shows several that failed to
lock into position and three that do.

Dave
Old March 7th 21, 02:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article , says...

On 2021-03-04 4:14 PM, Snidely wrote:

[...]

Elon Musk tweeted that the hard landing was caused by the landing Raptor
being commanded to high thrust, but the thrust level didn't change. He
said they have not seen that before.

The landing 'legs' or pogos as I prefer to call them seem to be the

next
issue now. Manley shows video that clearly shows several that failed to
lock into position and three that do.

The landing legs have already been redesigned, but we won't see them
until a later SN#. Iterating this rapidly means there is a delay caused
by learning a lesson, designing a fix, and incorporating that fix into a
later SN#.

Jeff

SpaceX and NASA Host Teleconference Today on SpaceX 2 Mission to Space Station Jeff Findley[_2_] Policy 5 March 4th 13 10:40 PM
SpaceX Alan Erskine[_2_] History 0 August 3rd 08 04:51 AM
SpaceX tries again. [email protected] Policy 26 January 22nd 07 06:53 PM
Meade LXD55 SN10 or Meade Starfinder 12.5 Dave Amateur Astronomy 20 September 1st 03 12:26 AM
Meade LXD55 SN10 vs the Meade Starfinder 12.5" Dave Amateur Astronomy 0 August 30th 03 10:46 PM