New Fusion Engine Could Cut Travel Time To Mars Down To Six Weeks

Old October 5th 12, 11:14 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default New Fusion Engine Could Cut Travel Time To Mars Down To Six Weeks

New Fusion Engine Could Cut Travel Time To Mars Down To Six Weeks:

"Brace yourselves: Researchers at University of
Huntsville in Alabama say they are using "Dilithium
Crystals" in a new fusion impulse engine that could
cut the travel time to Mars down to as little as six
weeks, not the six months it takes now.

Txchnologist, an online magazine sponsored by
General Electric, talked to team member and
aerospace engineering PH.D. candidate Ross
Cortez, he said "The fusion fuel we're focusing
on is deuterium [a stable isotope of hydrogen]
and Li6 [a stable isotope of the metal lithium]
in a crystal structure."

"That's basically dilithium crystals we're using,"
he said.

Trekkies everywhere shudder in delight.

See:

http://www.businessinsider.com/newes...ystals-2012-10
Old October 8th 12, 03:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article 59400512-d1e3-40f7-9a13-
, says...

New Fusion Engine Could Cut Travel Time To Mars Down To Six Weeks:

"Brace yourselves: Researchers at University of
Huntsville in Alabama say they are using "Dilithium
Crystals" in a new fusion impulse engine that could
cut the travel time to Mars down to as little as six
weeks, not the six months it takes now.

Txchnologist, an online magazine sponsored by
General Electric, talked to team member and
aerospace engineering PH.D. candidate Ross
Cortez, he said "The fusion fuel we're focusing
on is deuterium [a stable isotope of hydrogen]
and Li6 [a stable isotope of the metal lithium]
in a crystal structure."

"That's basically dilithium crystals we're using,"
he said.

Trekkies everywhere shudder in delight.

See:

http://www.businessinsider.com/newes...ystals-2012-10

When quoting the article, you forgot this key statement:

"they are far from achieving a "break even" energy propulsion system"

In other words, it's a pure research topic, not something "coming soon".
Well, I suppose it's "coming soon to a theater near you" once the next
Star Trek movie comes out...

Jeff

Old October 10th 12, 04:18 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Oct 5, 3:14*pm, wrote:
New Fusion Engine Could Cut Travel Time To Mars Down To Six Weeks:

"Brace yourselves: Researchers at University of
Huntsville in Alabama say they are using "Dilithium
Crystals" in a new fusion impulse engine that could
cut the travel time to Mars down to as little as six
weeks, not the six months it takes now.

Txchnologist, an online magazine sponsored by
General Electric, talked to team member and
aerospace engineering PH.D. candidate Ross
Cortez, he said "The fusion fuel we're focusing
on is deuterium [a stable isotope of hydrogen]
and Li6 [a stable isotope of the metal lithium]
in a crystal structure."

"That's basically dilithium crystals we're using,"
he said.

Trekkies everywhere shudder in delight.

See:

http://www.businessinsider.com/newes...powered-on-sta...

William Mook (aka Mokaerospace or Mokenergy) had that option proposed
as of a couple years ago.
Old October 10th 12, 04:21 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Oct 8, 7:25*am, Jeff Findley wrote:
[...]

Our NIF has been working on creating compact fusion bombs and
otherwise weapons delivery as powered via fusion. No doubt GE has
full security access to all things NIF.
Old October 10th 12, 08:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

Willie Mookie is a bit of a loonie.

fred is our resident loon, without a original idea in a lifetime he
disses any idea that appears here...
Old October 10th 12, 09:08 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Oct 10, 12:42*pm, bob haller wrote:
Willie Mookie is a bit of a loonie.

fred is our resident loon, without a original idea in a lifetime he
disses any idea that appears here...

ZNR Oligarchs and their redneck FUD-masters like our Fred that tries
to retract everything he has posted after 6 days, tend to function
like a borg collective.

Just think how dysfunctional the not so shabby artist/painter that
Hitler was, if he didn't have his devout Zionist Nazi Oligarchs like
our Fred to always depend upon. Same analogy goes for GW Bush, Dick
Cheney and Kissinger, except none of them could even finger-paint
along with dysfunctional 5th graders.

http://groups.google.com/groups/search
http://translate.google.com/#