RIP Pat Flannery?

Old October 15th 11, 02:10 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Dr.Colon Oscopy

Default RIP Pat Flannery?

On Oct 13, 9:41*am, David Spain wrote:
Alan Erskine wrote:
Is it the right town?

To the best of my knowledge it is.
I will post more details as I get them.

Dave

As I recall Pat posted almost every day (or near to it) on one of the
space forums etc. Last post I found for him was 9/22 or 8/24 (could
be wrong) Wonder if he took sick and was recovering at
home.............
doc
Old October 15th 11, 03:57 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Matt Wiser

On Oct 13, 7:01*am, David Spain wrote:
David Spain wrote:
Alan Erskine wrote:
Is it the right town?

To the best of my knowledge it is.
I will post more details as I get them.

Dave

There have been no funeral arrangements made as yet, the
body has been cremated.

His parents are not surviving. There is a surviving brother,
I have requested my contact information be forwarded to him.

Dave

Deepest sympathies, RIP and LOS, Pat. We'll see you on the other side.
Old October 15th 11, 04:48 AM posted to sci.space.history
Peter Stickney[_2_]

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 19:00:54 -0700, wrote:

Is this *our* Pat Flannery?
http://www.jamestownsun.com/event/obituary/id/145730/

"Patrick C. Flannery, 54, Jamestown, died Monday, Oct. 3, 2011, at his
home."

Pithy.

Saddening, if true. (And I fear it is)
There are damned few like him.
And like him I did.
This world is a poorer place for losing him,
and a better place for having had him.
--
Pete Stickney
Failure is not an option
Old October 15th 11, 08:37 PM posted to sci.space.history
jamesgarry[_2_]

Another lurker here - Pat posted some real gems and had an abiding
sense of humour that made s.s.h a joy to visit sometimes.

Let me share one that I've kept for (yikes!) a few years. Wish I had
kept more, there was, I dimly recall, one involving a piano, Kate
Bush, a soviet missile battery, and some unlikely physiology.

Thanks Pat

Subject:
New Sputnik Book
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 12:55:17 -0500
From:
"Patrick Flannery"
Newsgroups:
sci.space.history

"David Sander" wrote in message: I think
Sputnik
would have been visible on the basis that its high
specular reflectivity would have reflected enough sunshine to make it
stand out - if it had been painted with low-specular white then I
imagine it would have been essentially invisible to the naked eye.

This got me curious, so I went digging in my library- the book
"Vanguard"
(Martin Caidin, E.P.Dutton & Co.,1957) states that a twenty inch
sphere,
highly polished, will appear as a fifth or sixth magnitude star when
well
illuminated by the sun.Very hard to spot naked eye, but possible with
any
binoculars.
It also has a description of building the magnesium shell for the
Vanguard
satellites, and what the shell consists of, that has to be read to be
believed :
"Brookes and Perkins will manufacture the outside of the satellite to
the
astonishing tolerance of only four millionths of an inch."

(Is this the same Perkins that latter will manufacture other space
hardware
to astonishing, if incorrect, tolerances?)

" There are several metal layers that are placed over the magnesium-
on both
the inside and the outside of the shell. First the Brookes and Perkins
engineer's plate the magnesium, inside and out, with copper- then the
satellite shell is polished to a very high mirror finish.
Next, silver plating is added, and is also highly polished. Again the
satellite undergoes it's polishing. And finally, there is added a coat
of
pure gold plating, after which the shell is again polished to an
intense,
mirror like gloss. Then the satellite is delivered to the Navy."

(So, what could be worse than one service's military bureaucracy? How
about
TWO service's military bureaucracies....)

"But this is not yet the final step! In addition to these coatings the
outer
surface of the satellite is given four additional surface-finishing
treatments after the spheres are delivered to the government. The
shells are
sent by the Navy to the Research and Development Laboratories of the
Army
Corps of Engineers at Fort Belvoir, Virginia. Here the engineers apply
(over
the pure gold plating) a very thin adhesive layer of silicon monoxide;
next,
a very thin layer of highly reflective vaporized aluminum; and,
finally, a
thick layer of silicon monoxide."

Then, before launch, they polish the damn thing again.
Pat

Old October 15th 11, 10:07 PM posted to sci.space.history
Damien Valentine

My (apparently belated) condolences.
Old October 15th 11, 10:39 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jonathan

"Fevric J. Glandules" wrote in message
Kulin Remailer wrote:

It surprises me that you guys are this interested in someone you only
know through Usenet. Have you guys ever met Pat in real life (IRL)?

Nope. One of the things I value about Usenet is that the words stand
alone and unfiltered by prejudice. In fact I actively avoid finding
out what posters look like.

I do the same thing, I avoid looking at pics or other details and
prefer to know people online only by the words. Quite often
I'm not all that sure who I'm replying to.

But over time you tend to put together a picture. And it is quite
possible to warm towards someone that you have never met. Indeed
there are some individuals that I trust every bit as much as "real
life friends" despite never having done more than exchange emails.

Pat was 'one of the good guys'.

Second that!

Old October 16th 11, 04:08 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 13/10/2011 1:00 PM, wrote:
Is this *our* Pat Flannery?
http://www.jamestownsun.com/event/obituary/id/145730/

"Patrick C. Flannery, 54, Jamestown, died Monday, Oct. 3, 2011, at his
home."

Pithy.

Or Henry Spencer for that matter?
Old October 16th 11, 08:37 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Robert Clark[_2_]

On Oct 14, 11:48*pm, Peter Stickney wrote:
On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 19:00:54 -0700, wrote:
Is this *our* Pat Flannery?
http://www.jamestownsun.com/event/obituary/id/145730/

"Patrick C. Flannery, 54, Jamestown, died Monday, Oct. 3, 2011, at his
home."

Pithy.

Condolences to his family.

Bob Clark
Old October 16th 11, 01:52 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain

Alan Erskine wrote:
Has anyone told OM?

I'm not sure the best way to reach him. Maybe Scott Lowther can pass it along
to him if he hasn't already.

Or Henry Spencer for that matter?

I just sent Henry an email. I had posted this to the arocket list back on the
14th but it hasn't gone through yet.

Dave