RIP Pat Flannery?

Old October 14th 11, 01:16 AM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

Default RIP Pat Flannery?

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 19:00:54 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Is this *our* Pat Flannery?
http://www.jamestownsun.com/event/obituary/id/145730/

"Patrick C. Flannery, 54, Jamestown, died Monday, Oct. 3, 2011, at his
home."

Pithy.

Wow, this is very sad news. Ad astra, Pat.

Brian
Old October 14th 11, 01:30 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
DK

On Oct 14, 12:13*am, "Jonathan" wrote:
"Kulin Remailer" wrote in message

"David Spain" wrote in message
m...
David Spain wrote:
Alan Erskine wrote:
Is it the right town?

To the best of my knowledge it is.
I will post more details as I get them.

Dave

There have been no funeral arrangements made as yet, the
body has been cremated.

His parents are not surviving. There is a surviving brother,
I have requested my contact information be forwarded to him.

It surprises me that you guys are this interested in someone you only
know through Usenet. Have you guys ever met Pat in real life (IRL)?

I'm sad to hear the news.

He's been faithfully killfiling me for at least 6 years. I wonder
if he knew I read every one of his posts during all that time?
I'd occasionally change my 'alt' in some small way just to see
if he's still plonking me, and sure enough, each time he'd remark
about my new address without fail. No one else in my entire life
has been so determined to display their contempt for me.

The last direct remark from him I remember was at least
five years ago when he called me a bit 'snarky'. Whatever
that is, I'm certain I was guilty of it many times.

I bet he was a great person to know.

RIP!

Jonathan

* * * "Sweet hours have perished here;
* * * * This is a mighty room;
* * * Within its precincts hopes have played,
* * * * Now shadows in the tomb."

Back in the days when I was an active poster rather than a lurker, Pat
was one of the real larger than life characters, all of whom seem to
have gone now, whether through mortality or other reasons. I'm
thinking of the likes of Beady, OM, Henry Spencer, Mary Schafer,
Rhonda Lea Kirk, doubtless many others deserving of mention. All with
their eccentricities, some subtle, some infuriating, but all
characters.

Old October 14th 11, 04:17 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 14/10/2011 1:01 AM, David Spain wrote:
David Spain wrote:
Alan Erskine wrote:
Is it the right town?

To the best of my knowledge it is.
I will post more details as I get them.

Dave

There have been no funeral arrangements made as yet, the
body has been cremated.

His parents are not surviving. There is a surviving brother,
I have requested my contact information be forwarded to him.

Dave

My deepest sympathies. I'll miss his sense of humour.

Any idea how he died? I just hope it was painless and quick.
Old October 14th 11, 12:04 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

David Spain wrote:
Alan Erskine wrote:
Is it the right town?

To the best of my knowledge it is.
I will post more details as I get them.

Dave

There have been no funeral arrangements made as yet, the
body has been cremated.

His parents are not surviving. There is a surviving brother,
I have requested my contact information be forwarded to him.

Dave

My deepest sympathies. *I'll miss his sense of humour.

Any idea how he died? *I just hope it was painless and quick.- Hide quoted text -

i will miss him too.

this reminds each and every one of us that it could be us next
Old October 14th 11, 05:20 PM posted to sci.space.history
Paul Madarasz[_2_]

wrote, perhaps among other things:

Is this *our* Pat Flannery?
http://www.jamestownsun.com/event/obituary/id/145730/

"Patrick C. Flannery, 54, Jamestown, died Monday, Oct. 3, 2011, at his
home."

Pithy.

The fire maidens are crying.

And so am I.
--
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."
-- Ed Abbey
Old October 14th 11, 06:06 PM posted to sci.space.history
The Big DP[_2_]

"Paul Madarasz" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 19:00:54 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote, perhaps among other things:

Is this *our* Pat Flannery?
http://www.jamestownsun.com/event/obituary/id/145730/

"Patrick C. Flannery, 54, Jamestown, died Monday, Oct. 3, 2011, at his
home."

Pithy.

The fire maidens are crying.

And so am I.
--
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."
-- Ed Abbey

I am mostly a lurker....but damn, this is very disconcerting.

God Speed Pat!

Doug

Old October 15th 11, 12:04 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jonathan

"DK" wrote in message
On Oct 14, 12:13 am, "Jonathan" wrote:

I'm sad to hear the news.

Back in the days when I was an active poster rather than a lurker, Pat
was one of the real larger than life characters, all of whom seem to
have gone now, whether through mortality or other reasons. I'm
thinking of the likes of Beady, OM, Henry Spencer, Mary Schafer,
Rhonda Lea Kirk, doubtless many others deserving of mention. All with
their eccentricities, some subtle, some infuriating, but all
characters.

Whenever I think about the good old days, for some reason I keep
coming to the conclusion that these are the good old days! Well, ah
except of course for that time with a girlfriend and her younger
sister~

Otherwise...

Old October 15th 11, 12:12 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jonathan

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
ond.com...

My deepest sympathies. I'll miss his sense of humour.

Any idea how he died? I just hope it was painless and quick.

"To know just how he suffered would be dear;
To know if any human eyes were near
To whom he could intrust his wavering gaze,
Until it settled firm on Paradise.

To know if he was patient, part content,
Was dying as he thought, or different;
Was it a pleasant day to die,
And did the sunshine face his way?

What was his furthest mind, of home, or God,
Or what the distant say
At news that he ceased human nature
On such a day?

And wishes, had he any?
Just his sigh, accented,
Had been legible to me.
And was he confident until
Ill fluttered out in everlasting well?

And if he spoke, what name was best,
What first,
What one broke off with
At the drowsiest?

Was he afraid, or tranquil?
Might he know
How conscious consciousness could grow"

Old October 15th 11, 12:59 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Fevric J. Glandules

Kulin Remailer wrote:

It surprises me that you guys are this interested in someone you only
know through Usenet. Have you guys ever met Pat in real life (IRL)?

Nope. One of the things I value about Usenet is that the words stand
alone and unfiltered by prejudice. In fact I actively avoid finding
out what posters look like.

But over time you tend to put together a picture. And it is quite
possible to warm towards someone that you have never met. Indeed
there are some individuals that I trust every bit as much as "real
life friends" despite never having done more than exchange emails.

Pat was 'one of the good guys'.