Chris' POD

Old August 18th 09, 02:42 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Nichols

Default Chris' POD

Congratulations Chris on your APOD! That is a very fine picture thanks for
getting it posted on the APOD site.

Old August 18th 09, 03:32 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:42:00 -0400, "John Nichols"
wrote:

Congratulations Chris on your APOD! That is a very fine picture thanks for
getting it posted on the APOD site.

Thanks. It was a pleasant surprise when they asked me if they could use
it.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old August 18th 09, 05:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Anthony Ayiomamitis[_1_]

wrote:
Congratulations Chris on your APOD! *That is a very fine picture thanks for
getting it posted on the APOD site.

Thanks. It was a pleasant surprise when they asked me if they could use
it.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatoryhttp://www.cloudbait.com

Chris,

Many congrats from me as well. It was a neat synopsis and very
informative and graphic.

Anthony.
Old August 18th 09, 06:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

wrote:
Congratulations Chris on your APOD! *That is a very fine picture thanks for
getting it posted on the APOD site.

Thanks. It was a pleasant surprise when they asked me if they could use
it.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatoryhttp://www.cloudbait.com

That is right you clown,you can only give relevance to the
constellations in terms of orbital dynamics so glad to see you can
unlearn that stupid notion that the apparent rotation of the
constellations around Polaris has some relevance in terms of planetary
dynamics and daily rotation in particular -

"Where are all of these meteors coming from? In terms of direction on
the sky, the pointed answer is the constellation of Perseus. That is
why the last week's meteor shower was known as the Perseids -- the
meteors all appear to come from a radiant toward Perseus. Three
dimensionally, however, sand-sized debris expelled from Comet Swift-
Tuttle follows a well-defined orbit about our Sun, and the part of the
orbit that approaches Earth is superposed in front of the Perseus.
Therefore, when Earth crosses this orbit, the radiant point of falling
debris appears in Perseus. "

There you go Peterson,you get my student of the day award and good for
you,the next thing you unlearn is why the motion of Persius around
Polaris is a great timekeeping convenience based on the equable
365/366 day calendar system.

Old August 18th 09, 07:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Pierre Vandevenne

On Aug 18, 7:23*pm, oriel36 wrote:

There you go Peterson,you get my student of the day award and good for
you,the next thing you unlearn is why the motion of Persius around
Polaris is a great timekeeping convenience based on the equable
365/366 day calendar system.

One starts wishing for a stray meteor...
Anyway, great illustration Chris!
Old August 18th 09, 07:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

So many fools... so few comets...
Old August 18th 09, 07:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Aug 18, 7:05*pm, Pierre Vandevenne wrote:
On Aug 18, 7:23*pm, oriel36 wrote:

There you go Peterson,you get my student of the day award and good for
you,the next thing you unlearn is why the motion of Persius around
Polaris is a great timekeeping convenience based on the equable
365/366 day calendar system.

One starts wishing for a stray meteor...
Anyway, great illustration Chris!

Hey,the guy is right for a change,the relationship between a
constellation and orbital dynamics is the only proper correlation
there is.When I see a guy on the right road he deserves encouragement
and that is said in the nicest possible way and without prejudice.

If you tries to link the rotation of constellations around Polaris
with daily rotation,then he gets something else -

http://www.opencourse.info/astronomy...phere_anim.gif

Maybe then somebody will experience a tinge of the horror I have
known by 'sidereal time' reasoning and have fought tooth and nail to
expunge from human reasoning.

Old August 19th 09, 04:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Aug 18, 11:49*am, oriel36 wrote:

Maybe then somebody will experience a tinge of the horror I have
known *by 'sidereal time' reasoning and have fought tooth and nail to
expunge from human reasoning.

Well, good luck with that, I think you will be living with your horror
for a very long time... you are so wrong on too many fronts to even
list...
Old August 19th 09, 11:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Aug 19, 4:23*am, Sam Wormley wrote:
oriel36 wrote:

Maybe then somebody will experience a tinge of the horror I have
known by 'sidereal time' reasoning and have fought tooth and nail to
expunge from human reasoning.

* *You poor soul!

* *Perhaps you should consider going to university. Meet your enemy
* *head on and immerse yourself in real celestial mechanics!

Enemy indeed !,mediocrity can only be dealt with it one way and that
is by showing that astronomy is not the mediocre magnification hobby
at night that you miserable creeps would have it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediocrity_principle

There is not the slightest sign of the great human traits in any of
you,just a slavish subservience to some idiotic notion that declaring
how humdrum the universe ,unexceptional the planet is,unexceptional
life is,you gain some perverse satisfaction of pseudo-authority.

You numbskulls can't even get the basic planetary facts and dynamics
straight and that is true mediocrity.

Old August 19th 09, 11:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Pierre Vandevenne

On Aug 19, 12:01*pm, oriel36 wrote:

You numbskulls can't even get the basic planetary facts and dynamics
straight and that is true mediocrity.

Actually, we don't care. We try to take nice pictures of objects that
have been photographed a zillion times. Or we spend hours looking at
horrible smudges through imperfect but expensive glass. Some of us
count photons, one way or the other, then recount them over and over.
We're just killing time until death.