Explorer 1 - 50th anniversary

Old January 31st 08, 05:25 PM posted to sci.space.history
Matt

Default Explorer 1 - 50th anniversary

Fifty years ago today, America's first satellite, Explorer 1, roared
into space from Cape Canaveral atop a Jupiter C booster (a heavily
modified Redstone missile with three solid-fuel upper stages). The
satellite made the first measurements of cosmic radiation and led to
the discovery, confirmed by Explorer 3, of the Van Allen radiation
belts. A toast to the pioneers!

Erika Lishock and I are proud of our contribution to chronicling this
even in our book The First Space Race Texas A&M University Press,
2004)

For a good collection of NASA and other links to all facets of this
story, see today's NASAWatch (www.nasawatch.com)

Excerpt from review in the military professional journal PARAMETERS:
From PARAMETERS, the Army War College Quarterly
Available at: http://www.carlisle.army.mil/usawc/P...er/sum-rev.htm

The First Space Race: Launching the World's First Satellites. By Matt
Bille and Erika Lishock. College Station: Texas A&M University Press,
2004. 214 pages. $40.00 ($19.95 paper). Reviewed by Dr. James R.
Downey, Professor of Science and Technology, US Army War College.

.....Matt Bille and Erika Lishock address this early history with their
book titled The First Space Race. Packed with copious details and
several first-person accounts, the book provides an excellent
understanding of how the space race began and the effects it had on
the world. In particular, for the national security audience the book
provides a historical insight into the developing competition between
the United States and the former Soviet Union, such that where we are
today can reasonably be traced to the race to space....
In sum, this book provides a superb insight into the early space race
and the overall effects this race had on both the United States and
the Soviet Union. Understanding how efforts in space began is a lens
into the space programs we have today, both military and civilian.
Matt Bille and Erika Lishock's The First Space Race reveals the story
of this world-changing journey.
Old February 1st 08, 02:30 AM posted to sci.space.history
Ralph[_1_]

Did anyone carry this story today? I found it buried on MSNBC and NY Times
sites. Didn't see anything on the evening broadcast news, too preoccupied
with the latest Brittany Spears meltdown. A shame - this is a real historic
benchmark.

Old February 1st 08, 03:54 AM posted to sci.space.history
eyeball

I didn't see it anywhere but here.The general public doesn't care
about space,except the vacuum in celebrities' heads.

Old February 1st 08, 03:58 AM posted to sci.space.history
kT

eyeball wrote:

I didn't see it anywhere but here.The general public doesn't care
about space,except the vacuum in celebrities' heads.

But they are unanimous when it comes to top posters.

Old February 1st 08, 01:04 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:25:33 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
Matt made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

Fifty years ago today, America's first satellite, Explorer 1, roared
into space from Cape Canaveral atop a Jupiter C booster (a heavily
modified Redstone missile with three solid-fuel upper stages). The
satellite made the first measurements of cosmic radiation and led to
the discovery, confirmed by Explorer 3, of the Van Allen radiation
belts. A toast to the pioneers!

Erika Lishock and I are proud of our contribution to chronicling this
even in our book The First Space Race Texas A&M University Press,
2004)

For a good collection of NASA and other links to all facets of this
story, see today's NASAWatch (www.nasawatch.com)

I have a piece up today on all of this week's space anniversaries,
both triumphant and tragic.

http://www.pajamasmedia.com/2008/02/...y_in_space.php
Old February 1st 08, 03:17 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Ralph wrote:
Did anyone carry this story today? I found it buried on MSNBC and NY Times
sites. Didn't see anything on the evening broadcast news, too preoccupied
with the latest Brittany Spears meltdown. A shame - this is a real historic
benchmark.

Comrade! Little American space-stick satellite built by ex-Hitlerites is
laughed at by brave Hero Cosmo-Bitch Laika! Why, if Laika were to find
this "Explorer" - which would be better named "Exploiter" - on the
ground, she found bury it...like any other bone of the dead capitalist
system she encountered, and then make water upon the spot where it lies
to warn others of its presence.
Comrade! Forwards to the stars!:
http://www.astrovox.gr/forum/files/t...a-1666_148.jpg

Pat
Old February 1st 08, 03:29 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Ralph wrote:
Did anyone carry this story today? I found it buried on MSNBC and

NY Times sites. Didn't see anything on the evening broadcast news, too
preoccupied with the latest Brittany Spears meltdown. A shame - this is
a real historic benchmark.

Comrade! Little American space-stick satellite built by ex-Hitlerites is
laughed at by brave Hero Cosmo-Bitch Laika! Why, if Laika were to find
this "Explorer" - which would be better named "Exploiter" - on the
ground, she would bury it...like any other bone of the dead capitalist

Old February 3rd 08, 02:20 PM posted to sci.space.history
gb[_2_]

"Ralph" wrote in message
. ..
Did anyone carry this story today? I found it buried on MSNBC and NY
Times sites. Didn't see anything on the evening broadcast news, too
preoccupied with the latest Brittany Spears meltdown. A shame - this is a
real historic benchmark.

Sucessfully buried and carried in back pages if even mentioned.

Earlier in Janaury, some special events and news to promoted the JPL
effort -- with southern Calfornia defense contractors in attendance.

Jim Van Allen, Pickering and Von Braun (famous photo of the 3 hositing
Explorer 1 model above their heads at news conference in 1958) are all gone.
James Van Allen, last of 3 passed away in August 2006.

1. 17,000 drop of number of jobs (employment) -- convinces many recession is
here.

2. Lack of 50th anniversary coverage -- demonstrates that NASA and US space
program is over.

3. End of American era.

Old February 3rd 08, 04:14 PM posted to sci.space.history
R.Glueck

Damn! I forget to get out my cards!.