News out of Armstong, another loss

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 12th 16, 07:25 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

Default News out of Armstong, another loss

Ken Iliff, husband of Mary Shafer, died one week ago:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstron...pioneer-passes

There was significant overlap in careers.

I only knew him through his writing. His book 'From Runway to Orbit' was an excellent read, yet a small fraction of his legacy. The title he picked for his epilogue was Stairway To Heaven (https://books.google.com/books?id=8QLGRq793Y4C&pg=PA339)
One might imagine that this is his current activity.

I hope those close to him are handling the loss ok. Ken and Mary met while at grad school in UCLA right around the peak of the Apollo Program.

His book is about his aerospace career, but he also tells the story of how when the first internet message was sent from UCLA, he was sitting two offices away:

"To me, it seemed like a very peculiar thing to do, breaking up what a computer could do very well by itself into little packets, shipping them to other computers, and having other computers reassemble the packets and do the work." "I've always remembered that event as something I probably should have given a little more attention." (from p115,pdf135of424)

~ CT

Loss Of Hearing, Loss of Memory ,Lose of Touch,Lose of SightSolution MSP G=EMC^2TreBert Misc 9 July 8th 14 10:10 PM
The loss of AM/PM oriel36[_2_] Amateur Astronomy 74 March 13th 12 07:38 PM
EVA toolkit loss Dirk[_3_] Space Shuttle 0 November 21st 08 09:49 PM
weight loss shazza FITS 0 September 27th 03 02:26 PM
NEWS: Marshall director: Center to blame for foam loss Rusty B Space Shuttle 0 August 27th 03 10:09 PM