Daily 3572

Old March 18th 04, 03:17 PM

Default Daily 3572

DAILY REPORT # 3572

PERIOD COVERED: DOY 77

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS/HRC/WFC 10059

CCD Daily Monitor

This program consists of basic tests to monitor, the read noise, the
development of hot pixels and test for any source of noise in ACS CCD
detectors. This programme will be executed once a day for the entire
lifetime of ACS.

ACS/HRC/WFC/NIC2 9753

Morphologies of EROs and Field Galaxies in SIRTF's First Look Survey:
A Rich Early Release Dataset

The SIRTF First Look Survey {FLS} will be the first scientific program
undertaken with NASA's next Great Observatory. The FLS provides the
first large sample of dusty galaxies to redshifts to z 2 and a
census of large-scale global IR properties {luminosities, color
temperatures, total dust mass, etc.} HST observations to measure
morphology are critical to provide insight into the mechanisms which
build up the various galaxy components--disks, bulges as well as
chaotic morphologies. We will measure quantitative morphology of fifty
extremely red objects {EROs} with targeted NICMOS pointings and
hundreds of field galaxies with ACS in parallel in the FLS. We aim to
understand how EROs fit into the evolutionary sequence of galaxy
formation. The combined HST and SIRTF observations will provide clues
into the physical processes responsible for generating powerful far-IR
sources or, conversely, may explain why some galaxies are inactive in
the far-IR. Ancillary ground-based optical, near-IR, and radio data
have already been obtained and DEIMOS spectra are scheduled for June,
2003. We waive the proprietary period for the HST observations and if
executed early in Cycle 12 the FLS will be the first complete
SIRTF+HST survey made available to the astronomical community, well in
advance of the majority of the Legacy observations and all of the GTO
surveys.

ACS/WFC 9575

Default {Archival} Pure Parallel Program.

The Advanced Camera for Surveys (WFC) was used to test ACS pure
parallels in POMS.

ACS/WFC 9744

HST Imaging of Gravitational Lenses

Gravitational lenses offer unique opportunities to study cosmology,
dark matter, galactic structure, galaxy evolution and quasar host
galaxies. They are also the only sample of galaxies selected based on
their mass rather than their luminosity or surface brightness. We will
obtain ACS/WFC V and I images and NICMOS H images of 21 new lenses
never observed by HST and NICMOS H images of 16 lenses never observed
by HST in the IR. As in previous cycles, we request that the data be
made public immediately.

ACS/WFC/WFPC2 9822

The COSMOS 2-Degree ACS Survey

We will undertake a 2 square degree imaging survey {Cosmic Evolution
Survey -- COSMOS} with ACS in the I {F814W} band of the VIMOS
equatorial field. This wide field survey is essential to understand
the interplay between Large Scale Structure {LSS} evolution and the
formation of galaxies, dark matter and AGNs and is the one region of
parameter space completely unexplored at present by HST. The
equatorial field was selected for its accessibility to all
ground-based telescopes and low IR background and because it will
eventually contain ~100, 000 galaxy spectra from the VLT-VIMOS
instrument. The imaging will detect over 2 million objects with I 27
mag {AB, 10 sigma}, over 35, 000 Lyman Break Galaxies {LBGs} and
extremely red galaxies out to z ~ 5. COSMOS is the only HST project
specifically designed to probe the formation and evolution of
structures ranging from galaxies up to Coma-size clusters in the epoch
of peak galaxy, AGN, star and cluster formation {z ~0.5 to 3}. The
size of the largest structures necessitate the 2 degree field. Our
team is committed to the assembly of several public ancillary datasets
including the optical spectra, deep XMM and VLA imaging, ground-based
optical/IR imaging, UV imaging from GALEX and IR data from SIRTF.
Combining the full-spectrum multiwavelength imaging and spectroscopic
coverage with ACS sub-kpc resolution, COSMOS will be Hubble's ultimate
legacy for understanding the evolution of both the visible and dark
universe.

FGS 9879

An Astrometric Calibration of the Cepheid Period-Luminosity Relation

We propose to measure the parallaxes of 10 Galactic Cepheid
variables.When these parallaxes {with 1-sigma precisions of 10% or
better} are added to our recent HST FGS parallax determination of
delta Cep {Benedict et al 2002}, we anticipate determining the
Period-Luminosity relation zero point with a 0.03 mag precision. In
addition to permitting the test of assumptions that enter into other
Cepheid distance determination techniques, this calibration will
reintroduce Galactic Cepheids as a fundamental step in the
extragalactic distance scale ladder. A Period-Luminosity relation
derived from solar metallicity Cepheids can be applied directly to
extragalactic solar metallicity Cepheids, removing the need to bridge
with the Large Magellanic Cloud and its associated metallicity
complications.

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8792

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 3

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 9997

Photometric Recalibration

This proposal extends the NICMOS photometric calibration for the NCS
era to cover four standard stars: G191B2B, P330E, P177D, and GD71.

NIC2 9726

A NICMOS search for obscured supernovae in starburst galaxies

Recent near-IR monitoring campaigns were successful in detecting
obscured supernovae {SNe} in starburst galaxies. The inferred SN rate
is much higher than that obtained in previous optical campaigns, but
it is still significantly lower than expected by the high level star
formation of these systems. One possible explanation for the shortage
of SNe is that most of them occur in the nuclear region, where the
limited angular resolution of groundbased observations prevents their
detection. We propose NICMOS SNAP observations of a sample of
starburst galaxies already observed once by NICMOS, with the goal of
exploiting its sensitivity and angular resolution to detect nuclear
obscured SNe which might have been missed by groundbased surveys.
These observation will allow to assess the real SN rate in starbust
galaxies and deliver a sample of SN occurring in the extreme
environment of galactic nuclei. We expect to detect more than 55 SNe
{if the whole sample is observed}. If the number of SNe detected in
the program is much lower than expected it would prompt for a revision
of our understanding of the relation between the star formation rate
and the SN rate.

NIC3 9999

The COSMOS 2-Degree ACS Survey NICMOS Parallels

The COSMOS 2-Degree ACS Survey NICMOS Parallels. This program is a
companion to program 9822.

STIS/CCD 10018

CCD Dark Monitor-Part 2

Monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

STIS/CCD 10020

CCD Bias Monitor - Part 2

Monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1,
and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up high-S/N superbiases and track the
evolution of hot columns.

STIS/CCD 10085

STIS Pure Parallel Imaging Program: Cycle 12

This is the default archival pure parallel program for STIS during
cycle 12.

STIS/CCD/MA1 9724

Towards a global understanding of accretion physics - Clues from an UV
spectroscopic survey of cataclysmic variables

Accretion inflows and outflows are fundamental phenomena in a wide
variety of astrophysical environments, such as Young Stellar Objects,
galactic binaries, and AGN. Observationally, cataclysmic variables
{CVs} are particularly well suited for the study of accretion
processes. We are currently carrying out a Cycle 11 STIS UV
spectroscopic snapshot survey of CVs to fully exploit the diagnostic
potential of these objects for our understanding of accretion physics.
While the data obtained so far are of excellent quality, the number of
targets that will be observed in Cycle 11 is too small for a
statistically significant analysis {only 19 objects out of our 149
accepted Cycle 11 snapshot targets have been observed at the time of
writing}. We propose here to extend this survey into Cycle 12,
building a homogenous database of accretion disc and wind outflow
spectra covering a wide range of mass transfer rates and binary
inclinations. We will analyze these spectra with state-of-the-art
accretion disc model spectra {SYNDISK}, testing our current knowledge
of the accretion disc structure, and, thereby, providing new insight
into the so far not well understood process of viscous dissipation. We
will use our parameterised wind model PYTHON for the analysis of the
radiation driven accretion disc wind spectra, assessing the
fundamental question whether the mass loss rate correlates with the
disc luminosity. In addition, our survey data will identify a number
of systems in which the white dwarf significantly contributes to the
UV flux, permitting an analysis of the impact of mass accretion on the
evolution of these compact stars. This survey will triple the number
of currently available high-quality accretion disc / wind outflow /
accreting white dwarf spectra, and we waive our proprietary rights to
permit a timely use of this database.

STIS/MA1 10034

Cycle 12 MAMA Dark Monitor

This test performs the routine monitoring of the MAMA detector dark
noise. This proposal will provide the primary means of checking on
health of the MAMA detectors systems through frequent monitoring of
the background count rate. The purpose is to look for evidence of
change in dark indicative of detector problem developing.

WFPC2 10070

WFPC2 CYCLE 12 Supplemental Darks Part 2/3

This dark calibration program obtains 3 dark frames every day to
provide data for monitoring and characterizing the evolution of hot
pixels.

WFPC2 10084

WFII parallel archive proposal

This is the generic target version of the WFPC2 Archival Pure Parallel
program. The program will be used to take parallel images of random
areas of the sky, following the recommendations of the 2002 Parallels
Working Group.

WFPC2 10090

WFII backup parallel archive proposal

This is a POMS test proposal designed to simulate scientific plans.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTAR 9356: GS Acquisition (1,2,1) @ 077/19:56:39Z resulted in FL
backup using FGS 2 due to SSLE on FGS 1. Prior FHST FM Updates @
077/19:36:04Z and 19:38:49Z showed good attitude error vector. Under
investigation.

COMPLETED OPS REQs: None

OPS NOTES EXECUTED: None

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL FAILURE TIMES
FGS GSacq 14 14
FGS REacq 2 2
FHST Update 26 26
LOSS of LOCK

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS:

EPS Reduction in Full-Charge Current (8 to 5 strings offline), first
opportunity 078/12:46Z - 13:18Z, second opportunity 078/14:15Z -
15:05Z (OR 17097-1 with IP_053 and IP_057 scripts).

VEST HST-SIMSS Release 1.0 STOCC CCS Interface test scheduled
078/11:00Z - 079/21:00Z with GDOC, HITT, SE, SOC, and VEST using CCS
"B" String with CCS Release 4.0.3.1 and PRD O06300T and CCS "H" String
with CCS Release 5.0.3.1 and PRD O06300ST. The purpose of this
testing is to verify the functionality of the HST-SIMSS Release 1.0 to
interface with the VEST Structure and the STOCC CCS.