Daily 3620

Old May 27th 04, 04:11 PM

Default Daily 3620

DAILY REPORT # 3620

PERIOD COVERED: DOY 146

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS/HRC/WFC 10060

CCD Daily Monitor

This program consists of basic tests to monitor, the read noise, the
development of hot pixels and test for any source of noise in ACS CCD
detectors. This programme will be executed once a day for the entire
lifetime of ACS.

ACS/HRC/WFC 9763

Calibrating the Black Hole Mass Scale for Quasars

We propose to obtain ACS/WFC imaging of all 17 low-redshift quasars
that have black hole masses measured from reverberation mapping. This
is a key sample since all secondary methods to estimate black hole
mass in quasars depend on this local reverberation-mapped sample for
their calibration. The best external check on reverberation mapping is
whether it gives results that are consistent with the black hole mass-
host galaxy correlations of nearby galaxies. For local Seyfert
galaxies the reverberation masses appear consistent with the M-sigma
correlation, but it is not known whether this also holds true for
quasars because the stellar velocity dispersions of quasar hosts are
virtually impossible to measure. We will use the ACS data to measure
accurate bulge parameters {luminosity and effective radius} for the
host galaxies of the reverberation-mapped quasars. From the
fundamental plane or the Faber-Jackson relation, we can estimate the
host galaxy velocity dispersion and test whether the reverberation
masses follow the M-sigma relation even for objects with quasar
luminosities. This is a crucial test if we are to trust the
reverberation masses as the lowest rung on a "distance ladder" of
black hole mass estimators for quasars, so that quasars can be used to
trace the cosmological growth history of black holes. {Note added in
Phase II: the TAC awarded us 8 orbits to observe 7 quasars and a PSF
star.}

ACS/WFC/HRC 9905

The Host Galaxies of Type II Quasars

Type II quasars are the luminous analogues of Type II Seyferts; the
central engines are presumably heavily obscured by dust. We have
defined a sample of 9 highly luminous Type II quasar candidates with
0.24 z 0.40 from the spectroscopic data of the Sloan Digital Sky
Survey, which have high equivalent width, narrow emission-line spectra
characteristic of a nonthermal continuum. We estimate that the
obscured AGN in these objects have optical luminosities of order
10^{12} solar luminosities. We propose to image this sample in
rest-frame U, B and V, to determine the morphology and color of the
host galaxies, and look for recent star formation. We will also probe
the extended environments of these objects, to determine whether they
are undergoing interactions with close companions, and whether they
live in appreciably clustered environments.

GO 9367

Unique Opportunities to Search for the Optical Counterparts to High-Z
Damped LyAlpha Systems

The galaxies responsible for damped LyAlpha absorption in QSO spectra
are difficult to observe against the strong background QSO emission.
We propose to detect even low luminosity galaxies associated with QSO
absorption line systems out to redshifts as high as z = 1.8 by
observing them in the shadow cast by an even higher redshift damped
LyAlpha absorber. As a result the galaxy will be observed free of
contamination by the background AGN and of the uncertainties which
arise when image processing techniques are required to remove the AGN
emission. We propose two approaches. In the first we will attempt to
detect a z = 1.8634 system seen in the optical spectrum of a high-z BL
Lac object in the shadow of two higher-redshift systems seen in the
same optical spectrum. In the second only the higher redshift
shadowing LyAlpha system is seen in the optical spectrum and the
presence of the lower- redshift systems at z = 0.713 and z = 1.0466
are inferred from the presence of strong MgII, SiII and FeII
absorption lines.

NIC/NIC3 9865

The NICMOS Parallel Observing Program

We propose to continue managing the NICMOS pure parallel program.
Based on our experience, we are well prepared to make optimal use of
the parallel opportunities. The improved sensitivity and efficiency of
our observations will substantially increase the number of
line-emitting galaxies detected. As our previous work has
demonstrated, the most frequently detected line is Halpha at
0.7z1.9, which provides an excellent measure of current star
formation rate. We will also detect star-forming and active galaxies
in other redshift ranges using other emission lines. The grism
observations will produce by far the best available Halpha luminosity
functions over the crucial--but poorly observed--redshift range where
galaxies appear to have assembled most of their stellar mass. This key
process of galaxy evolution needs to be studied with IR data; we found
that observations at shorter wavelengths appear to have missed a large
fraction of the star-formation in galaxies, due to dust reddening. We
will also obtain deep F110W and F160W images, to examine the space
densities and morphologies of faint red galaxies. In addition to
carrying out the public parallels, we will make the fully reduced and
calibrated images and spectra available on-line, with some
ground-based data for the deepest parallel fields included.

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8792

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 3

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

NICMOS/STIS CCD 9405

The Origin of Gamma-Ray Bursts

The rapid and accurate localization of gamma-ray bursts {GRBs}
promised by a working HETE-2 during the coming year may well
revolutionize our ability to study these enigmatic, highly luminous
transients. We propose a program of HST and Chandra observations to
capitalize on this extraordinary opportunity. We will perform some of
the most stringent tests yet of the standard model, in which GRBs
represent collimated relativistic outflows from collapsing massive
stars. NICMOS imaging and STIS CCD spectroscopy will detect broad
atomic features of supernovae underlying GRB optical transients, at
luminosities more than three times fainter than SN 1998bw. UV,
optical, and X-ray spectroscopy will be used to study the local ISM
around the GRB. Chandra spectroscopy will investigate whether the GRB
X-ray lines are from metals freshly ripped from the stellar core by
the GRB. HST and CTIO infra-red imaging of the GRBs and their hosts
will be used to determine whether `dark' bursts are the product of
unusually strong local extinction; imaging studies may for the first
time locate the hosts of `short' GRBs. Our early polarimetry and
late-time broadband imaging will further test physical models of the
relativistic blast wave that produces the bright GRB afterglow, and
will provide unique insight into the influence of the GRB environment
on the afterglow.

STIS/CCD 10018

CCD Dark Monitor-Part 2

Monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

STIS/CCD 10020

CCD Bias Monitor - Part 2

Monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1,
and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up high-S/N superbiases and track the
evolution of hot columns.

STIS/CCD/MA1 9754

Intergalactic O VI absorption at redshift 0.004

Simulations of the formation of large-scale structure in the universe
predict that at the present time a large fraction of the baryons in
the intergalactic medium {IGM} is in a warm/hot phase, with
T=10^5-10^7 K. The warm phase has been detected with HST in absorption
through the OVI 1031.926, 1037.671 doublet at redshifts ~0.15-0.3. In
a sample of 100 extra-galactic objects observed with FUSE, we find 12
detections of OVI at redshifts z=0.0008-0.004 {v=250 to 1200 km/s}.
Many of these occur within 400 kpc and 50 km/s of a nearby galaxy,
making it much easier to understand the relation between the OVI
absorbers and galaxies. Our sample allows a comparison of the
properties of nearby vs more distant OVI absorbers. However, modeling
the physical conditions in the gas requires measurements of HI, OVI,
CIV, NV and CIII. High velocity resolution is required to resolve the
HI, CIV and NV lines in order to discriminate between collisional and
photoionization. We propose to obtain improved HI data, as well as the
CIV and NV measurements for two absorbers at z0.004. One appears to
represent collisional ionization {Mrk 876}, while the other probably
represents a case of a photoionized system {Ton S180}. Understanding
the ionization of the warm IGM is essential for determining elemental
abundance and the baryonic content of the gas.

WFPC2 10067

WFPC2 Cycle 12 Decontaminations and Associated Observations

This proposal is for the monthly WFPC2 decons. Also included are
instrument monitors tied to decons: photometric stability check, focus
monitor, pre- and post-decon internals {bias, intflats, kspots, &
darks}, UV throughput check, VISFLAT sweep, and internal UV flat
check.

WFPC2 10070

WFPC2 CYCLE 12 Supplemental Darks Part 2/3

This dark calibration program obtains 3 dark frames every day to
provide data for monitoring and characterizing the evolution of hot
pixels.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.) None

COMPLETED OPS REQs: None

OPS NOTES EXECUTED: None

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL FAILURE TIMES
FGS
GSacq 04 04
FGS REacq 11 11
FHST Update 07 07
LOSS of LOCK

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS:

Successfully completed first series of OBAD/Rate Control data
collections, Sections A through H @ 146/01:50Z (OR 17169 with attached
OBAD Data Collection procedure).

Additional OBAD data collection periods are necessary for further
analysis of the process in support of future TGS efforts. OBAD data
collection series scheduled as follows:

147/01:27:00 - 147/02:07:10 (PN)
147/16:06:00 - 147/16:23:00 (PN)
147/23:49:00 - 148/00:25:00 (PN)

These periods involve transition to PN format in order to capture FHST
position and intensity data at a higher rate. All command relating to
the OBAD data collection is on a NIB with routine spacecraft
activities. See Ops Request 17169 with attached OBAD Data Collection
script for details.

A compliment of SA 3 strings is being kept offline to optimize the
Battery Full Charge Rate. To ensure HST remains power positive as
solar intensity continues to decline, EPS hardware and SSM486 FSW
changes need to be made to bring the +D SPA (5 strings) back online
and offline the +DD SPA (4 strings).