Dark matter/energy

Old January 9th 06, 11:18 PM posted to sci.space.science

Default Dark matter/energy

Here is a little challenge for you.

How would you explain the concepts behind these to someone who was not a
scientist, but has basic knowledge about the universe, you know gravity,
speed of light etc.

I ask because someone asked me, and as I'm not a scientist either, I found
myself at somewhat of a loss, saying things like..

Um, well we cannot see it, but we know its there as its gravity is there,
but also as there is a mysterious force which is kind of biasing the
universe to carry on expanding... wem...

Obviously, the mysterious force has a different law to gravity, or as
gravity weakened, so would the force.

I gave up as I was aware I was kind of explaining myself into a corner...!

Brian

Email:
__________________________________

Old January 13th 06, 02:04 AM posted to sci.space.science

Brian Gaff wrote:
How would you explain the concepts behind these to someone who was not a
scientist, but has basic knowledge about the universe, you know gravity,
speed of light etc.

I'd say, "Dark matter and dark energy are handwavium for observations
that astronomers cannot yet explain."

Mike Miller

Old January 13th 06, 06:21 PM posted to sci.space.science

Hmm, a bit of a cop out really.

Its also interesting to note that the apparent force tearing the universe
apart is getting apparently stronger. It makes you wonder as all that matter
going into black holes must have some effect somewhere!

Brian

Email:
__________________________________

oups.com...

Old January 14th 06, 04:35 AM posted to sci.space.science

Brian Gaff wrote:
Hmm, a bit of a cop out really.

That's my thought about dark matter and dark energy. They feel like the
new epicycles, a cop-out until something better can come along.

For example, some are trying to explain observations without dark
matter:
http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/1475-7516/2005/05/003

Right or wrong, it shows you don't always have to use dark matter to
explain mysterious observations.

Mike Miller

Young Galaxies Grow Up Together in a Nest of Dark Matter (Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 December 23rd 05 05:30 PM
Young Galaxies Grow Up Together in a Nest of Dark Matter (Forwarded) Andrew Yee News 0 December 23rd 05 05:02 PM
Question. Mark F. Amateur Astronomy 9 June 7th 05 07:54 PM
Dark Matter and Dark Energy: One and the Same? LenderBroker Amateur Astronomy 4 July 14th 04 01:45 AM
"Dark matter" forms dense clumps in ghost universe (Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 November 21st 03 05:41 PM