Who has the most powerfull rocket?

Old December 26th 03, 06:20 PM
ed kyle

Default Who has the most powerfull rocket?

"Rajesh Khanna" wrote in message m...
Thanks.

Who designed the Saturn V, which company designed it. I know that space
shuttle engine was designed by Rockwell.

NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center was responsible for the
design. Many companies and organizations contributed to the
design by performing contracted design studies for Marshall.
Dr. Heinz-Hermann Koelle, head of Marshall's Future Projects
Office, was in charge of the preliminary Saturn design process.
Some consider him more responsible than anyone else for the
Saturn V design. Dr. Koelle reported directly to
Dr. Wernher von Braun.

Rocketdyne developed the F-1 and J-2 engines. Boeing built
the first stage, in cooperation with Marshall. North American
Aviation (NAA) built the second stage. Douglas built the third
stage. IBM built the Instrument Unit that controlled the
Saturn V vehicle. NAA built the Apollo command and service
modules. Grumman built the lunar modules. There were many
other contracts.

- Ed Kyle
Old December 27th 03, 02:20 PM
Christopher

On 26 Dec 2003 10:20:02 -0800, (ed kyle) wrote:

[...]

Everyone had a piece of the pie as Americans say. Votes for rocket
contracts. Was the shuttle built in this way? As America will have
to have a replacement for the shuttle before they loose another one it
could be a flip for American engineering companys all over
America...and maybe in parts of Canada as well.

Christopher
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Kites rise highest against
the wind - not with it."
Winston Churchill
Old December 29th 03, 10:57 PM
Damon Hill

(ed kyle) wrote in
om:

(Christopher) wrote in message
On 26 Dec 2003 10:20:02 -0800,
(ed kyle) wrote:

Rocketdyne developed the F-1 and J-2 engines. Boeing built
the first stage, in cooperation with Marshall. North American
Aviation (NAA) built the second stage. Douglas built the third
stage. IBM built the Instrument Unit that controlled the
Saturn V vehicle. NAA built the Apollo command and service
modules. Grumman built the lunar modules. There were many
other contracts.

Everyone had a piece of the pie as Americans say. Votes for rocket
contracts.

Not really. The big parts were assembled in California, Louisiana,
Alabama, and New York. Texas and Florida also played a significant
role, of course. Companies in U.S. Midwestern states were left
only with bits and pieces (McDonnell of St. Louis built Mercury and
Gemini capsules, but were shut out of Apollo). The same is pretty
much true for the shuttle program. Never made any sense to me.
Chicago is closer to Kennedy Space Center than California!

For that matter, Titusville is closer to Cape Canaveral than northern
Alabama. Boeing could have chosen an existing unused facility to
construct Delta IV in Titusville and simply trucked to the pad for
all eastern launches. At present the CBC is barged all the way
around the Florida peninsula and via the Panama Canal.

Looks like Atlas V is small enough to be shipped via C-5 or An-124.
Boeing's planning to super-size some existing 747s to airship
7E7 subassemblies; I don't know if those would be long enough to
accomodate a Delta IV CBC.

--Damon
Old January 10th 04, 03:25 PM
Horatio.

"ed kyle" wrote in message
m...
"Rajesh Khanna" wrote in message

Hello All:
Who has the most powerfull rocket engine? In terms of Lifting

capability?

I thought I had posted a response, but two days have passed and
I don't see it here, so here goes again.

For liquid propulsion, the answer is the Glushko/Energomash
RD-171, which, at 740 metric tons of sea-level, and 806 tons
of vacuum, thrust, is the most powerful liquid propellant
rocket engine ever flown. It powers the Zenit first stage,
which is now most often flown for Sea Launch.

- Ed Kyle

Old January 16th 04, 03:44 PM
Gordon D. Pusch

Joann Evans writes:

Rajesh Khanna wrote:

Who has the most powerfull rocket engine? In terms of Lifting capability?

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think that would still be the
Saturn-5 first stage F-1 engines:

Uh, that would be the answer to: "Who _HAD_ the most powerful rocket?"
The Saturn V is now a lawn ornament --- not a rocket.

-- Gordon D. Pusch

perl -e '$_ = \n"; s/NO\.//; s/SPAM\.//; print;'