NASA Will Explore F-1 Upgrade For Heavy Lifter

Old July 31st 12, 12:41 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

Default NASA Will Explore F-1 Upgrade For Heavy Lifter

On Jul 30, 5:42*pm, me wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:03:03 -0400, Jeff Findley

wrote:
From what I've read, JSC is home to the only Saturn V on display made up
of all "flight worthy" stages. *KSC has a "flight worthy" second and
third stage. *Michoud has the (last built) "flight worthy" first stage..
The Saturn V on display at MSFC consists of all test stages.

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/2127/1

so there were 2 flight worth stacks left outside to rot.....

sad ending of a great launcher
Old July 31st 12, 03:08 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message

Jeff Findley wrote:

My original point was, not everything you see on display is "flight
worthy". Because of this, I have a feeling that Bob might be over
estimating how many "flight worthy" Saturn V launch vehicles existed
after the last Saturn V flew.

I'm sure he is. He over estimates everything else, after all.

The number, as I recall it, was 'two'.

Actually easy enough to figure out how many are left. ;-)

15 were ordered. 13 flown.

I think even Bob can do that math.

Now, I'll admit to curiosity as to how the individual pieces ended up where
they did. It does seem a bit arbitrary. :-)

Old July 31st 12, 03:33 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Jul 31, 10:08*am, "Greg \(Strider\) Moore"
wrote:

--
Greg D. Moore * * * * * * * * *http://greenmountainsoftware.wordpress.com/
CEO QuiCR: Quick, Crowdsourced Responses.http://www.quicr.net

probably mostly then most convenient for display....

2nd stage at KSC leave it there.....

what has happened to the skylab trainer should be criminal
Old July 31st 12, 04:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 07:33:35 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

probably mostly then most convenient for display....

2nd stage at KSC leave it there.....

I think the S-1C was at KSC too, though. It was moved.

what has happened to the skylab trainer should be criminal

I'm as big a space geek as the next guy, but I for one will never
understand all this worship for a damned training article.

Brian
Old July 31st 12, 04:02 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:41:21 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/2127/1

so there were 2 flight worth stacks left outside to rot.....

sad ending of a great launcher

Finally, something to agree with Bob about!

Brian
Old July 31st 12, 05:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article , bthorn64
@suddenlink.net says...

wrote:
what has happened to the skylab trainer should be criminal

I'm as big a space geek as the next guy, but I for one will never
understand all this worship for a damned training article.

At least the backup Skylab is in the NASM.

Jeff
--
" Ares 1 is a prime example of the fact that NASA just can't get it
up anymore... and when they can, it doesn't stay up long. "
Old July 31st 12, 06:11 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article , bthorn64
@suddenlink.net says...

wrote:

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/2127/1

so there were 2 flight worth stacks left outside to rot.....

sad ending of a great launcher

Finally, something to agree with Bob about!

True. Skylab was tiny compared to what NASA could have done with 33
foot diameter lab modules:

Orbital Launch Facility
Jun 06, 2012
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=15021

For extra fun, imagine keeping the 2nd stage attached for "wet
workshop" space.

Jeff
--
" Ares 1 is a prime example of the fact that NASA just can't get it
up anymore... and when they can, it doesn't stay up long. "
- tinker

USAF Heavy Lifter? Michael Gallagher Policy 6 October 3rd 05 09:44 PM
Saturn V vs. new heavy lifter Max Turner Policy 19 September 29th 05 03:50 AM
New heavy lifter? MattWriter Policy 83 August 3rd 04 06:23 PM
New heavy lifter? Dave O'Neill Policy 3 July 29th 04 12:23 AM
Need for Heavy Lifter? MattWriter Technology 0 July 24th 04 02:27 PM