What is included in the Celestron Fastar Package?

Old September 11th 03, 05:31 PM
Phil Wheeler

Default What is included in the Celestron Fastar Package?

Neal Shepard wrote:
I am interested in having a 8" f/2 system.
What is involved in setting up the system?
What replaces the convex secondary mirror and are there any optics in the
camera end?

Look here.

http://www.celestron.com/access/fastar.htm

Phil

Old September 11th 03, 06:18 PM
Al

"Neal Shepard" wrote in message
I am interested in having a 8" f/2 system.
What is involved in setting up the system?
What replaces the convex secondary mirror and are there any optics in the
camera end?

Thanks,

N.S.

Neal,

I have a Fastar for the C-14. I believe there is a small difference between
this and the Fastar for the smaller scope. Nevertheless, what you get is
the Fastar Corrector lens and the housing to hold the secondary mirror when
it's removed.

To use the system, you remove the scope's secondary mirror and replace it
with the Fastar corrector assemble. That's it, you have just changed your
lens system from F/11 (in my case) to F/2.1. Of course you realize that you
can not use the scope from the eyepiece end without changing back.

Al

Old September 11th 03, 09:41 PM
Mark D

Hi, In other words, when you buy a C-14 Fastar OTA, there is supposed
to be a small case supplies with the scope to store the secondary mirror
in? Just curious, thanks, Mark

Old September 18th 03, 07:11 PM
Wade A. Hilmo

I've got the Fastar optics on my Ultima 2000 (and am planning on getting it
for my C14).

If you are using a fork mount, like the Ultima, then you definitely want
make sure that you have the Celestron dew shield installed any time you've
got a camera mounted with Fastar. The clearance between the corrector plate
and the fork base is too small for the camera to fit. If the telescope
slews down too far, the camera will hit the base and the likely result is a
shattered corrector. If you've got the dew shield installed, it will
protect the camera and corrector from this.

If you've got an EQ mount, or are using a fork mount that doesn't slew in
altitude, then this isn't a concern. When I get set up with my C14 (on a
CGE mount), I won't need to worry about it.

I hope that this is helpful,
-Wade

"Tom Davis" wrote in message
. com...
Neal,

Besides the Fastar optics assembly, you get a small case
to put the secondary mirror in (very useful to protect it
from damage, and on the 8" at least, you get a thread on
rear counterweight to balance the optical tube with the
extra weight of the Fastar optics and CCD camera on
the front of the scope. The thread on counterweight goes
onto the rear thread of the SCT. Since your CCD camera
goes into the Fastar lens assembly, which is mounted in
place of the secondary (which is keyed and held onto the
corrector by a threaded ring), your camera optics are the
Fastar optics assembly. Keep in mind that the system was
designed around the Celestron PixCel 255 (SBIG ST5C),
and SBIG ST237 cameras. Other cameras may work, but
would need special adapters to get optimum distance between
the Fastar lens and CCD chip. If the distance is incorrect,
coma will result in the images.

Thanks, Tom Davis