Privatize Hubble

Old January 28th 04, 11:03 PM
Parallax

Default Privatize Hubble

I propose that Hubble be privatized and that the buyer could sell High
Res images of places on earth. I am sure some ppl would pay him NOT
to take such images.
Old January 29th 04, 10:17 PM
Andrew Higgins

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
I propose that Hubble be privatized and that the buyer could sell High
Res images of places on earth. I am sure some ppl would pay him NOT
to take such images.

As I recall, some of Hubble's instruments would be damaged if viewing the
fully illuminated Earth; it's too bright.

At least, that was the reason given when it was proposed to use Hubble to
view the moon, which has a much lower albedo than Earth, so I guess looking
at the Earth would be worse.
--
Andrew J. Higgins

Old January 29th 04, 10:54 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Andrew Higgins wrote:
As I recall, some of Hubble's instruments would be damaged if viewing the
fully illuminated Earth; it's too bright.

Some couldn't take it, but some can -- in fact, it's been used for
instrument calibration (as has the Moon).

http://www.badastronomy.com/mad/2000/hubbleearth.html

Hubble can't *track* something going past that quickly, however. (In
fact, if memory serves, it can't track the Moon, never mind the Earth --
its occasional lunar images are taken using low-precision pointing that
wouldn't be adequate for serious scientific work but does passable
snapshots.)
--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |
Old January 30th 04, 07:07 PM
Jason Rhodes

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
I propose that Hubble be privatized and that the buyer could sell High
Res images of places on earth. I am sure some ppl would pay him NOT
to take such images.

Hubble cant track when pointed at Earth.

Jason

Old January 30th 04, 08:55 PM
Eric Chomko

Parallax ) wrote:
: I propose that Hubble be privatized and that the buyer could sell High
: Res images of places on earth. I am sure some ppl would pay him NOT
: to take such images.

It cheaper to buy Landsat images of the earth.

Eric

Don't Desert Hubble Scott M. Kozel Space Shuttle 54 March 5th 04 05:38 PM
Why Hubble was cancelled, and what to do now Greg Kuperberg Policy 36 February 9th 04 11:43 PM
hubble highjacked Markus Baur Policy 22 February 6th 04 05:59 PM
Hubble Space Telescope first casualty of Bush space initiative Tom Abbott Policy 10 January 21st 04 06:20 AM
Hubble images being colorized to enhance their appeal for public - LA Times Rusty B Policy 4 September 15th 03 10:38 AM