JAXA gave up injecting Mars Orbiter "Nozomi" into orbit of Mars (Forwarded)

Old December 10th 03, 04:58 AM
Andrew Yee

Default JAXA gave up injecting Mars Orbiter "Nozomi" into orbit of Mars (Forwarded)

Mars orbiter "NOZOMI" (PLANET-B)
2003/12/9 Update

JAXA gave up injecting Mars Orbiter "Nozomi" into orbit of Mars

Despite trying hard to restore the malfunctioned part of Nozomi, the Institute
of Space and Astronautical Science (ISAS) of JAXA found that communications with
Nozomi were still not restored as of 8:30 p.m. on Dec. 9 (Japan Standard Time
[1130 UTC]). It is very unfortunate for JAXA to announce that we have decided to
give up its injection into the orbit of Mars. We would like to deeply apologize
for this failure, and will continue to do our best to investigate the cause.