NASA Delays Launch of Second Mars Rover

Old July 1st 03, 03:58 PM
Christopher M. Jones

Default NASA Delays Launch of Second Mars Rover

"Henry Spencer" wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm still a bit confused what the properties of cork are that make it the
ideal substance for this job?

It's light, it's a good insulator, it chars gradually and predictably, it
takes adhesives well, and not least, it's cheap. You could undoubtedly
make a synthetic substitute, but why bother?

Cheap by aerospace spending standards. I note that there
is an artificial cork replacement as a bottle stopper and
it is gaining in use because of the difficulties of
obtaining sufficient amounts of the natural stuff at
reasonable prices.

Old July 1st 03, 04:39 PM
Ami A. Silberman

"Christopher M. Jones" wrote:

"Henry Spencer" wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm still a bit confused what the properties of cork are that make it the
ideal substance for this job?

It's light, it's a good insulator, it chars gradually and predictably, it
takes adhesives well, and not least, it's cheap. You could undoubtedly
make a synthetic substitute, but why bother?

Cheap by aerospace spending standards. I note that there
is an artificial cork replacement as a bottle stopper and
it is gaining in use because of the difficulties of
obtaining sufficient amounts of the natural stuff at
reasonable prices.

Actually, the main reason for the use of artificial corks, at least in
the wine business, is that the traditional real cork can more easily
contaminate the wine. (Hence the term "corked wine", which has a
distinct cardboard-like taste.) It is estimated that between 3% and 10%
of all wine bottles have some level of "corkedness". (Some people are
very good at noticing if a wine is corked, others notice it
subconsciously and think that the bottle just isn't that good.)

Unfortunately, there hasn't been a long enough period to determine
whether the artificial cork replacements have a long-term (10+ years of
bottle age) effect on the wine. Oddly enough, the best cork alternatives
are probably either the screw top or the crown cap (like on beer and
soda bottles.) Unfortunately, neither is likely to catch on for fine, or
even table, wine, since they have connotations with wine so bad it can
only aspire to being plonk. Oddly enough, the Australians have no
problem with bottling fine wine using crown corks (for domestic use),
and have found that it doesn't interfere with aging of up to at least 25
years.

Sci.space.history content: Bully Hill Winery (upstate New York) has a
wine called Space Shuttle Red. http://www.bullyhill.com/descred.asp?id=6
Old July 1st 03, 05:23 PM
Christopher M. Jones

"Ami A. Silberman" wrote:
Actually, the main reason for the use of artificial corks, at least in
the wine business, is that the traditional real cork can more easily
contaminate the wine. (Hence the term "corked wine", which has a
distinct cardboard-like taste.) It is estimated that between 3% and 10%
of all wine bottles have some level of "corkedness". (Some people are
very good at noticing if a wine is corked, others notice it
subconsciously and think that the bottle just isn't that good.)

Noted.

Unfortunately, there hasn't been a long enough period to determine
whether the artificial cork replacements have a long-term (10+ years of
bottle age) effect on the wine. Oddly enough, the best cork alternatives
are probably either the screw top or the crown cap (like on beer and
soda bottles.) Unfortunately, neither is likely to catch on for fine, or
even table, wine, since they have connotations with wine so bad it can
only aspire to being plonk. Oddly enough, the Australians have no
problem with bottling fine wine using crown corks (for domestic use),
and have found that it doesn't interfere with aging of up to at least 25
years.

I'm not a wine guy but I've been told that quite a lot
of American wine companies are moving toward offering
even decently high quality wines in boxes. I found
the idea intriguing, but I don't follow developments
in the wine world to any degree so I don't know if it's
true or not.

Old July 1st 03, 07:13 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Christopher M.
Jones writes
"Henry Spencer" wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm still a bit confused what the properties of cork are that make it the
ideal substance for this job?

It's light, it's a good insulator, it chars gradually and predictably, it
takes adhesives well, and not least, it's cheap. You could undoubtedly
make a synthetic substitute, but why bother?

Cheap by aerospace spending standards. I note that there
is an artificial cork replacement as a bottle stopper and
it is gaining in use because of the difficulties of
obtaining sufficient amounts of the natural stuff at
reasonable prices.

I'm not sure it's a problem of supply so much as the problem of
"corking", which makes wine taste foul. Natural cork is something to be
encouraged - it's very environmentally friendly, being a renewable
resource which is the basis for a whole ecosystem.
Fifteen days and counting :-)
--
"Roads in space for rockets to travel....four-dimensional roads, curving with
relativity"
Old July 2nd 03, 03:21 AM
Scott Hedrick

"Christopher M. Jones" wrote in message

I'm not a wine guy but I've been told that quite a lot
of American wine companies are moving toward offering
even decently high quality wines in boxes.

I come to s.s.h. for all of my wine education

So, what *was* in Buzz's lunar communion kit?
--
If you have had problems with Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC),
please contact shredder at bellsouth dot net. There may be a class-action