Professor from second-rate university thinks he's going to time travel

Old July 11th 18, 03:34 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default Professor from second-rate university thinks he's going to time travel

I'm surprised this guy isn't at the Institute for Advanced Study...not really.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44771942

Old July 11th 18, 07:23 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 8:34:10 PM UTC-6, RichA wrote:
I'm surprised this guy isn't at the Institute for Advanced Study...not really.

I would tend to agree with Lee Smolin: time really does pass, and as Arthur C.
Clarke said, time travel "is a fit subject for fantasy, not science".

Still, your title made me think of an old science-fiction story about a failed
attempt by a scientist at Unknown University to solve the terrorism problem by
nipping it in the bud.

John Savard
Old July 11th 18, 08:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Wednesday, 11 July 2018 08:23:10 UTC+2, Quadibloc wrote:
On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 8:34:10 PM UTC-6, RichA wrote:
I'm surprised this guy isn't at the Institute for Advanced Study...not really.

I would tend to agree with Lee Smolin: time really does pass, and as Arthur C.
Clarke said, time travel "is a fit subject for fantasy, not science".

Still, your title made me think of an old science-fiction story about a failed
attempt by a scientist at Unknown University to solve the terrorism problem by
nipping it in the bud.

John Savard

Time is the vital component in all space travel.

Without its direct manipulation a [potential] billion, billion civilizations will remain effectively isolated except by remote [radio, video] contact.

That these supposed civilizations have existed for perhaps millions of years _requires_ successful expansion into their own sphere of space and its useful contents of external bodies for expanded inhabitation of an ever growing populace. Even if it means terrestrial adjustment.

Limitation to their own immediate solar systems, by sheer distance [i.e. lack of time manipulation] would [surely] mean countless Dyson spheres must exist?

The only obvious alternative [from a human perspective] is remote control of an expanded sphere of influence by force of threat from very long range missiles in response to radio signals from a potential victim.

The US v Soviet era is a more limited example of threat by severe destruction from a distance. A direct invasion of "boots on the ground" held little commercial advantage for the US. No doubt a more promising one to be further investigated by China. As the Trump Raving Insanity Effect takes a firmer hold.

Without a stated "global enemy" the US simply cannot continue to exist as a combined unit of states. The combination scenario is much vaunted in SF as "humans coming together to fight an alien invasion."

Paranoia is in the genes of the US combined states. Its endless political infights for suppression of "the perceived enemy" R v D or Wealth v Poverty of power] are seen daily in the global news headlines. Even a temporary, Democratic ownership of power is a malignant right wing, commercially driven entity by most democratic nations standards.

Everything which opposes the US commercial belief system must be bullied into submission. History is replete with similar examples of the failed empire approach to unlimited wealth by force of [corrupt] will over much weaker victims.

How ironic that Trump is claiming Chinese bullying as trying to undermine its own, global empire of absolute commercial power. Note how the US bullies every oil producing country into 3rd world, poverty of power or face its alien wrath.
Old July 11th 18, 11:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Wednesday, 11 July 2018 02:23:10 UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 8:34:10 PM UTC-6, RichA wrote:
I'm surprised this guy isn't at the Institute for Advanced Study...not really.

I would tend to agree with Lee Smolin: time really does pass, and as Arthur C.
Clarke said, time travel "is a fit subject for fantasy, not science".

Still, your title made me think of an old science-fiction story about a failed
attempt by a scientist at Unknown University to solve the terrorism problem by
nipping it in the bud.

John Savard

What I like are moronic "scientists" who think that somehow, man is going to create "wormholes" when it would take an atom smasher the size of the galaxy just to see elementary particles as they really are. We will never have the power.
Old July 12th 18, 07:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 15:33:28 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:
[...]

Do you think you can predict the future?

Some other examples of predictions about science, made in the past:
We will never be able to leave the Earth. We will never know what
stars are made of.

"Never" is a very strong word. So let's wait until the future
actually arrives, and then see what actually does happen, OK?
Old July 12th 18, 07:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

wrote:
[...]

Yeah, when there is a plausible speculative scenario based on some kind of scintilla of potential, it makes sense not to outright discount it. But in this case, there is no way humans will harness enough power (even if it's possible to go back in time at all) to do it. It's not like saying, "there will never be another supersonic passenger jet because of engine noise" because it's likely there will be. Proof of some of this is that we are still 50 years on, talking about moon landings. We haven't progressed one iota in all that time. If you work off a time-scale versus achievement ratio, we will probably not even land humans on Mars until a century from now.
Old July 12th 18, 05:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Paul Schlyter wrote in
:

wrote:
[...]

Do you think

Since, in his case, the answer to this is "no, of course not, he's
too stupid to ever do that" further questioning is rather
pointless.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Old July 12th 18, 07:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Thursday, 12 July 2018 00:33:31 UTC+2, RichA wrote:
On Wednesday, 11 July 2018 02:23:10 UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 8:34:10 PM UTC-6, RichA wrote:
I'm surprised this guy isn't at the Institute for Advanced Study...not really.

I would tend to agree with Lee Smolin: time really does pass, and as Arthur C.
Clarke said, time travel "is a fit subject for fantasy, not science".

Still, your title made me think of an old science-fiction story about a failed
attempt by a scientist at Unknown University to solve the terrorism problem by
nipping it in the bud.

John Savard

What I like are moronic "scientists" who think that somehow, man is going to create "wormholes" when it would take an atom smasher the size of the galaxy just to see elementary particles as they really are. We will never have the power.

We will never have... insert any "breakthrough" of your choice.

Imagine inventing a "screen" which could show time travel. There is no need for the human traveler to even enter into the equation. Add VR and a sensory deprivation tank and you can enjoy virtual time travel without the usual, direct, causal risks.

The dangers of knowing the future might easily destroy our future world as we know it. The future is all our descendants living as advanced "aliens." How do you stop insider trading? Preemptive strikes on a future enemy? Or discover a global depression, disease or anarchy?

It would be infinitely far more powerful than AI in ridding us of disease. But then we really are changing the future! Survival and death of individuals matters in human progress and shapes future times. The problem is we just don't know which. The cascade effect of every present change can never be predicted with safety.

Better set the dial backwards and undo religion's superheroes? Rewrite history based on facts rather than legend and myth? It might be best not to allow time travel in any shape or form unless it is only used, off-Earth, for space travel.
Old July 12th 18, 03:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

wrote:

On Wednesday, 11 July 2018 02:23:10 UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 8:34:10 PM UTC-6, RichA wrote:
I'm surprised this guy isn't at the Institute for Advanced Study...not really.

I would tend to agree with Lee Smolin: time really does pass, and as Arthur C.
Clarke said, time travel "is a fit subject for fantasy, not science".

Still, your title made me think of an old science-fiction story about a failed
attempt by a scientist at Unknown University to solve the terrorism problem by
nipping it in the bud.

John Savard

What I like are moronic "scientists" who think that somehow, man is going to create "wormholes" when it would take an atom smasher the size of the galaxy just to see elementary particles as they really are. We will never have the power.

People like you classify as "moronic" that which you lack the
intelligence and education to understand.

Indeed, there is good reason to believe that we will never have the
practical means to create wormholes. That doesn't change the
underlying physics, however. Just because a wormhole might not be
something that can be made does not mean that the Universe doesn't
support the possibility of wormholes, with all the implications they
carry for both space and time. As such, this kind of inquiry is very
much a critical part of physics, carried out by many competent and
respected scientists. Or, as you call them, "morons". (A word that is
much more useful for evaluating its user than its targets.)
Old July 12th 18, 06:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

The only people of stature would be those who are able to extricate themselves from the paraphrasing of the 'Equation of Time' facility by Sir Isaac as he is not defining time but rather timekeeping, two different things.

"Absolute time, in astronomy, is distinguished from relative, by the equation of time. For the natural days are truly unequal, though they are commonly considered as equal and used for a measure of time; astronomers correct this inequality for their more accurate deducing of the celestial motions...The necessity of which equation, for determining the times of a phænomenon, is evinced as well from the experiments of the pendulum clock, as by eclipses of the satellites of Jupiter." Principia

The theorists 100 years ago took the chance that nobody would ever understand what that was supposed to mean but the internet provides the clearer view of the matter including the flawed approach of Huygen's which seemed to give Isaac his modeling equivalency of the Sun around the Earth is the same as the Earth around the Sun -

"Here take notice, that the Sun or the Earth passeth the 12. Signes,
or makes an entire revolution in the Ecliptick in 365 days, 5 hours 49
min. or there about, and that those days, reckon'd from noon to noon,
are of different lenghts; as is known to all that are vers'd in
Astronomy. Now between the longest and the shortest of those days, a
day may be taken of such a length, as 365 such days, 5. hours &c. (the
same numbers as before) make up, or are equall to that revolution: And
this is call'd the Equal or Mean day, according to which the Watches
are to be set; and therefore the Hour or Minute shew'd by the Watches,
though they be perfectly Iust and equal, must needs differ almost
continually from those that are shew'd by the Sun, or are reckon'd
according to its Motion. But this Difference is regular, and is
otherwise call'd the Aequation [of Time].." Huygens

In other newsgroups, especially the moderated ones, the pseudo-intellectual tinsel of relativity and its long tales flourish but not in this forum where people are confronted with what Isaac tried to do using language that is unique to him. Relativity was once a byword for some sort of superior thinking but now looks like a quaint attempt to escape RA/Dec modeling using a notion that the Sun around the Earth is the same as the Earth around the Sun -

"That the fixed stars being at rest, the periodic times of the five primary planets, and (whether of the sun about the earth, or) of the earth about the sun, are in the sesquiplicate proportion of their mean distances from the sun.... for the periodic times are the same, and the dimensions of the orbits are the same, whether the sun revolves about the earth, or the earth about the sun." Newton

My goodness, living with a lie must be so tiring unless people are completely mediocre and can do it out of blind convictions where the mind becomes unquestioning.