Challanger Turbo Pumps?

Old September 8th 06, 09:51 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Danny Dot[_1_]

Default Challanger Turbo Pumps?

-
Danny Dot wrote:

One of the risks of not enough Engine CutOff (ECO) sensors is running out of
either LOX or H2 and the engine not being commanded to shut down. First the
probability of a low level cut off is very small. I think we have had 2 low
level cut offs in the shuttle program. One was the flight that lost an
engine on ascent and the other was the nozzle leak flight. On both of these
flights the tank ran dry and the sensors commanded a shut down.

The engines are NOT designed to have an orderly shutdown if they are starved
of fuel and not commanded to shut down in time. One risk is a turbo pump
failing catastrophically (loss of orbiter and crew!!!). But I recall being
told with Challenger, all 6 turbo pumps remained intact. Can anyone confirm
this? But then on Challenger the engines lost power and would have
immediately gone into a pneumatic shut down. This is a designed shut down
mode. If the ECO sensors fail to command a shutdown, the engines would not
instantly go through a pneumatic shut down. The engine controllers would
wait for an red line violation and at that time command a shut down.

Look at my site and see how NASA treats a creative mind!!!
The summary is "Not Very Well" :-)
www.mobbinggonemad.org

Turbo Scram meiza Policy 2 July 5th 06 11:48 PM
Turbo Scram meiza Astronomy Misc 2 July 5th 06 11:48 PM
Turbo Scram Josh Hopkins Astronomy Misc 1 June 26th 06 07:20 PM
Lighter/simpler turbo pump Pete Lynn Policy 11 May 27th 06 10:27 AM
Pressure fed rockets and cheap pumps Larry Gales Technology 0 November 14th 03 05:42 AM