Moon Occultation of Mars

Old July 25th 06, 03:06 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mad

Default Moon Occultation of Mars

Just to let you know.

On Thursday 27th July the Moon will Occult Mars.
Starting at 17:55 BST from London (check your local times)
All over 18:50 BST from London.

Hey i know its daylight here but accept it as a challenge

--
Mac.

Orange skies of London.
I'm not realy mad, it just the little voices tell me i am.

LX200 10" GPS.
Old July 27th 06, 06:36 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Jonathan Silverlight[_1_]

In message , Mad
writes

Just to let you know.

On Thursday 27th July the Moon will Occult Mars.
Starting at 17:55 BST from London (check your local times)
All over 18:50 BST from London.

Hey i know its daylight here but accept it as a challenge

I don't know what the weather's like in Selsey (thinking of someone who
has the skill to do it :-) but it's raining cats and dogs in Woking.
Old July 28th 06, 01:14 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Pete Lawrence[_1_]

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:36:01 GMT, Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

In message , Mad
writes

Just to let you know.

On Thursday 27th July the Moon will Occult Mars.
Starting at 17:55 BST from London (check your local times)
All over 18:50 BST from London.

Hey i know its daylight here but accept it as a challenge

I don't know what the weather's like in Selsey (thinking of someone who
has the skill to do it :-) but it's raining cats and dogs in Woking.

Selsey's night off I'm afraid ;-) Lifeboat week's firework spectacular
and a promise to the family mean't that the occultation had to take a
back seat. Skies were hazy anyway to be honest.

Got some nice lightning from the night before though...

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/weather/lightning.html

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old July 28th 06, 07:31 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Iordani

Pete Lawrence wrote:

Got some nice lightning from the night before though...

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/weather/lightning.html

Very nice! How do you take those shots? Is it just a matter of pointing in
some direction with an opened shutter and hope for the best?

Old July 28th 06, 06:20 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Andy Guthrie[_1_]

wrote:

In message , Mad
writes

Just to let you know.

On Thursday 27th July the Moon will Occult Mars.
Starting at 17:55 BST from London (check your local times)
All over 18:50 BST from London.

Hey i know its daylight here but accept it as a challenge

I don't know what the weather's like in Selsey (thinking of someone who
has the skill to do it :-) but it's raining cats and dogs in Woking.

Selsey's night off I'm afraid ;-) Lifeboat week's firework spectacular
and a promise to the family mean't that the occultation had to take a
back seat. Skies were hazy anyway to be honest.

Got some nice lightning from the night before though...

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/weather/lightning.html

Wow, you almost expect to see Boris Karloff leaping out in his black
cape and devouring people.
Old July 28th 06, 08:06 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Pete Lawrence[_1_]

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 08:31:39 +0200, Iordani
wrote:

Pete Lawrence wrote:

Got some nice lightning from the night before though...

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/weather/lightning.html

Very nice! How do you take those shots? Is it just a matter of pointing in
some direction with an opened shutter and hope for the best?

More-or-less yes. There's a bit of skill in it insofar as you need to
work out the settings so that a bright sky thunderstorm (this one
started at sunset) doesn't overload the exposure and then remember to
adjust for the fact that the sky does get darker.
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old August 1st 06, 05:42 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Pete Lawrence[_1_]

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:29:20 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

Thus spake Pete Lawrence ) unto the assembled multitudes:

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/weather/lightning.html

Very nice! How do you take those shots? Is it just a matter of pointing in
some direction with an opened shutter and hope for the best?

More-or-less yes. There's a bit of skill in it insofar as you need to
work out the settings so that a bright sky thunderstorm (this one
started at sunset) doesn't overload the exposure and then remember to
adjust for the fact that the sky does get darker.

I'm guessing that you can use a fairly low aperture for this kind of shot.
How far stopped down did you have your lens?

I started taking pictures when it was still daylight but darkened due
to the thick clouds. I almost ran out of desensitising options to be
honest using ISO100, f/22 and 2s exposures. If the exposures had been
any shorter I don't think I would have bothered. Later, as the skies
darkened, I opened up the aperture, upped the ISO and extended the
exposure times. As this makes the camera more sensitive, I ran the
risk of overexposing some of the strikes but I really wanted to try
and get hold of some of those fainter forks.
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk