This month in UFO history

Old April 3rd 04, 05:19 AM
Auric D. Hellman

Default This month in UFO history

I'm not sure if this is popular in this NG.I'll stop if requested by
the regulars.until then,enjoy
http://www.rense.com/general50/tm_apr.htm
Old April 3rd 04, 06:09 AM
JimO

"Auric D. Hellman" wrote
I'm not sure if this is popular in this NG.I'll stop if requested by the

regulars.until then,enjoy
http://www.rense.com/general50/tm_apr.htm

The topic of how space stuff is misunderstood and misrepresented to the
public is within the range of my interest. We enjoy hearing if new angles,
new rumors and claims, and we discuss them actively.

Your contribution, however, is of the type that doesn't measure up very
well, IMHO, because some basic 'space history' familiarity (or research
capability) could show you that these stories are spread by people who
assume you are a drooling simpleton, and arguably not with justification.
Here are three examples.

"April 1962 - Astronaut Films UFOs While On Space Flight -- NASA pilot
Joseph Walker said that one of his tasks was to detect UFOs during his X-15
flights. He had filmed five or six UFOs during his record breaking
fifty-mile-high flight in April, 1962. It was the second time he had filmed
UFOs in flight. During a lecture at the Second National Conference on the
Peaceful Uses of Space Research in Seattle, Washington he said: "I don't
feel like speculating about them. All I know is what appeared on the film
which was developed after the flight." - Joseph Walker. To date none of
those films has been released to the public for viewing."

Now, I interpret these passages as clumsy lies, because there's no primary
sourced footnoted -- it's always, 'I saw a book once that SAID...", and the
X-15 pilots were only interested in stuff out there window as it pertained
to ice off leaking thrusters, or shedding insulation, or other fragments of
their own spacecraft. Film -- all of which was released -- often showed dots
moving away from the spacecraft at maximum altitude, and there were good
non-UFO reasons for the pilots and engineers to pay attention to what these
aparitions might be trying to tell them about the status of their vehicle.

"April 1964 - Gemini I Flight Tailed By Four UFOs -- During the first orbit
of this unmanned spacecraft it was joined by four apparently controlled
objects. The tracking station observed two objects take up station above
Gemini I, with one behind and one below. These relative positions were
maintained for one orbit after which they sped off into space.
Source:http://www.20kweb.com/weird_stuff/uf...stronauts.html )"

Again, the citation is, "I read this somewhere on the Internet, that means
you should believe it. But if you've read anything about spaceflight in the
1960's, you know that NASA's radar tracking sites were few and far between
around Earth, and it was technologically impossible to SEE if somethinhg
maintained a relative position for that entire period. Radar often locked
onto booster vortices during ascent, and sometimes they got sidelobe lock
during skin track passes -- all of which were well understood equipment
misbehavior.

"April 1979 - Soviet Cosmonaut - Close-Up UFO Encounter In Space -- "It
followed us during half of our orbit. We observed it on the light side, and
when we entered the shadow side, it disappeared completely. It was an
engineered structure, made from some type of metal, approximately 40 meters
long with inner hulls. The object was narrow here and wider here, and inside
there were openings. Some places had projections like small wings. The
object stayed very close to us. We photographed it, and our photos showed it
to be 25 to 29 meters away." - Cosmonaut Victor Afanasyev commenting on a
UFO sighting that occurred while en route to the Solyut 6 space station in
April of 1979."

As penance for falling for this garbage, Auric, you should go look up when
Afanasyev even BECAME a cosmonaut (could he fly in 1979?), and what 'Solyut
6' might refer to. You can then see some of the reasons that amateur space
historians conclude that this entire story is fictional, and that those who
promote it have contempt for the knowledge and intelligence of their target
audience, and that they might be right in this assessment.

Old April 4th 04, 05:07 AM
Alan Erskine

"Auric D. Hellman" wrote in message
om...
I'm not sure if this is popular in this NG.I'll stop if requested by
the regulars.until then,enjoy
http://www.rense.com/general50/tm_apr.htm

Oh, believe me, buddy, popularity has _nothing_ to do with what is said on
this group.

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old April 4th 04, 02:36 PM
bob haller

Oh, believe me, buddy, popularity has _nothing_ to do with what is said on
this group.

Boy is that the truth. I post what I BELIEVE and could care less wether its
popular or not.

Although admittely theres a click here of posters who love to support one
another and the supprt nasa at all costs line.
Hey this is my opinion