NASA mistook a bronchus for spring coil of Mars Lander Phoenix

Old June 11th 08, 02:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lin Liangtai

Default NASA mistook a bronchus for spring coil of Mars Lander Phoenix

NASA repeatedly indicated that a white object (see Fig. 1) found under
Mars Lander Phoenix was spring coil (see Fig. 2) that had fallen off
from Phoenix. However, the former is a bright white object, like a
piece of bronchi remains, whereas the latter is dull black. NASA was
wrong in the identification.

Fig. 1: Raw, unaltered NASA image showing a bright white object in a
corner under Phoenix: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ph...BM1127838.html

Fig. 2: Raw, unaltered NASA image showing spring coil of Phoenix on
the right side of the photo: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ph...ess/13278.html
Old June 11th 08, 02:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected][_2_]

On Jun 11, 6:02*am, Lin Liangtai wrote:
NASA repeatedly indicated that a white object (see Fig. 1) found under
Mars Lander Phoenix was spring coil (see Fig. 2) that had fallen off
from Phoenix. However, the former is a bright white object, like a
piece of bronchi remains, whereas the latter is dull black. NASA was
wrong in the identification.

The lighting is at a different angle. It is still a spring.
Dwight
Old June 11th 08, 03:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
copperhead

On Jun 11, 8:39*am, " wrote:
On Jun 11, 6:02*am, Lin Liangtai wrote:

*The lighting is at a different angle. It is still a spring.
Dwight

Lin has microscopic vision Dwight. He can apparently see things you
and I can't. So, back away very slowly.
Old June 11th 08, 05:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Kirkpatrick

I'm been watching your posts and taking a look at your images for a couple
of weeks. I think you must be delusional at the very least to try and
manipulate something out of nothing.

I think we'd be extremely lucky to find anything resembling life or even
past life on Mars. The bottom line is that I don't think we're going to
find it there, nor anywhere else in the solar system. Sorry if this dumps a
bucket of water on your fakery, but I think it was needed.

Jim

Old June 11th 08, 05:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

Sam Kirkpatrick wrote:
I'm been watching your posts and taking a look at your images for a couple
of weeks. I think you must be delusional at the very least to try and
manipulate something out of nothing.

I think we'd be extremely lucky to find anything resembling life or even
past life on Mars. The bottom line is that I don't think we're going to
find it there, nor anywhere else in the solar system. Sorry if this dumps a
bucket of water on your fakery, but I think it was needed.

There is still an outside chance for Mars though. Something is producing
a trace of short lived methane in the atmosphere and non-equilibrium
conditions are a part of the signature of life.

If I had to bet money I reckon Europa has to be worth a try. And I
expect there are some viable terrestrial bacterial spores on the parts
of the LEM and other kit left on the moon (and also on early probes from
the pre-sterilise and bag era).

The post below is barking mad kookery. It looks like the spring that
fell off when the bio-seal was broken. I hope no damage resulted.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old June 11th 08, 07:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Greg Crinklaw

Martin Brown wrote:
The post below is barking mad kookery. It looks like the spring that
fell off when the bio-seal was broken. I hope no damage resulted.

"Lin Liangtai" wrote in message

It's not even halfway decent "kookery." More like pathetic. It seems
even the quality of the crackpots around here have gone downhill. :-)

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools: http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html
Observing: http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html
Comets: http://comets.skyhound.com

To reply take out your eye
Old June 11th 08, 08:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Andrew Smallshaw

On 2008-06-11, Martin Brown wrote:

If I had to bet money I reckon Europa has to be worth a try. And I
expect there are some viable terrestrial bacterial spores on the parts
of the LEM and other kit left on the moon (and also on early probes from
the pre-sterilise and bag era).

This actually happened - Apollo 12 landed at the same site as
Surveyor 3 and recovered parts of the probe. Back on Earth it was
noticed that bacteria on the probe were still alive after originally
arriving from Earth over two years previously.

Interestingly, I just looked this up of Wikipedia where it was
presented as an urban myth, only the references cited seem to
confirm the story. Made a few urgent tweaks to that article but
still one less reason to trust the site...

--
Andrew Smallshaw

Old June 12th 08, 06:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Jun 11, 12:17*pm, Greg Crinklaw
wrote:

It's not even halfway decent "kookery." *More like pathetic. *It seems
even the quality of the crackpots around here have gone downhill. :-)

I was looking at today's Astronomy Picture of the Day. The spring
looks like a spring; but the Snow Queen feature looks a bit like
exposed fossil bones, although it's not clear if they look more like a
hip bone or fingers.

This doesn't mean that mild resemblance is enough to doubt the
official explanation of ice, of course.

John Savard