Comet Garradd Anybody?

Old July 30th 11, 02:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Marty[_3_]

Default Comet Garradd Anybody?

I've been out "observing" very little lately, aside from walking out
under the stars to visit the constellations on most clear nights.
(Old friends...) Last night though, I got it in me to catch Comet
Garradd with 11x80 binoculars. The comet was listed at something like
mag 8.9, and seemed within reason for a casual look.
I printed off a detailed map from http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/
to see what I could see. The night was far from perfect... the day
had been hot and humid, and as the air cooled a bit, all that moisture
was turning into a ground-fog-like haze. Also, although I live on the
edge of a very small town, (pop. 1400,) light pollution has gotten a
bit worse in recent years, and my 61 year old eyes don't pick dim
things up quite as well as they used to. Anyway, I stepped out at
about 11:30 to take a peek. I usually walk down to the bottom of the
hill by my house to get away from the town lights a bit, and use the
cornfield to my East to block out the farm place lights, etc in that
direction... unfortunately, there are soy beans in that field this
year. No luck seeing the comet, or even the dimmer stars on the
chart. Not real surprising, since I couldn't pick up the Andromeda
Galaxy naked eye. I went back in.
Later, I decided to give it another try. After wearing red
goggles for about 15 minutes, I fumbled out in the dark with my
binoculars, slipped off my goggles, and quickly whipped my 11x80's up
toward the right field, just off Pegasus' nose... It took awhile, but
after a bit off looking, keeping my eyes shielded by the eye cups on
my binoculars, I convinced myself that I was seeing a bit of fuzz in
the right spot. No way could I have picked this thing up under these
conditions without a detailed chart and knowing right where to look
along the UT time line.
If it's clear tonight, I just might give it another try, and
confirm movement with my binocs, or maybe go for an easy look with my
old C8. Anyway, while this thing is no Hale-Bop, Hyakutake, or
Holmes, it's still a comet. Anybody else looking?
Marty
Old July 30th 11, 02:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 7/30/11 8:16 AM, Marty wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that report, Marty!
-Sam

Old July 31st 11, 07:12 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Seamus McDermott[_4_]

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 08:26:46 -0500, Sam Wormley wrote:

On 7/30/11 8:16 AM, Marty wrote:
[...]

Ditto. Nice read. Much appreciated.

Seamus

Old August 3rd 11, 08:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sketcher

Thanks for the report Marty! Weather permitting (the forecast says
I'll have a clear sky, above average transparency and a NELM better
than 6.0) I'll nab the critter tonight and post a report.

Sketcher,
To sketch is to see.
Old August 4th 11, 05:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sketcher

Hi Marty, Thanks for the heads-up and report. (I attempted a reply
yesterday -- but it apparently failed to find its way to saa.
Hopefully this posting will do better . . .)

Last night was ideal for me. I set up a 13cm refractor beneath a
magnitude 6.5 sky. A 50mm correct-image finder was used along with
the chart you provided a link for to navigate from M15 to the comet.
The comet was visible with the finder (though I had to look carefully
to distinquish it from possible, small groupings of faint stars).
Comet C/2009 P1 (Garradd) was obvious in the 5.1 inch refractor at
34x. It had a noticeably brighter nuclear region along with a short,
stubby tail. I upped the magnification a little and worked on a
sketch at 49x and 66x.

This morning (after a decent night's sleep) I fired up the ol'
computer, matched the sketched star field with a computer atlas,
printed a computer version of my eyepiece field and re-sketched the
comet on the printout using the at-the-telescope sketch to maintain an
accurate scale and orientation for the comet. On the new sketch I
could measure the comet's angular extent, etc. a bit more accurately.

Results: The comet's visible coma was about 4.5 minutes in diameter.
The tail, measured from the nucleus outward along a position angle
(PA) of about 166 degrees (south-southeast), was about 9 minutes in
length.

On a different note: I had such a cloudy, rainy spring (very rare for
my location) that I ended up putting astronomy on a back burner and
concentrated more on other things. It was good to get back out under
the familiar, friendly stars!

Sketcher,
To sketch is to see.
Old August 11th 11, 09:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Marty[_3_]

On Aug 4, 11:13*am, Sketcher wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that, Sketcher! SAA has been very erratic for me
lately... Nothing new showed up in this group for me since August
1st, and today, a whole bunch of stuff came flooding in. I haven't
had a chance to look for Comet Garradd since my first post, and now
the moon is close to full, but I'm kind of chomping at the bit to get
out and scoop up some starlight. The nights are getting a bit cooler,
the sun is setting a little bit earlier, and I've even got my old
locked angle tripod set up outside, just waiting...
Marty