ASTRO: Comet Garradd

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 1st 11, 07:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Comet Garradd

I'm late with this one. Processing it gave me fits. Normally I find it
easy to remove the stars with a data rejection stacking once the images
are aligned on the comet's core. I found that impossible due to the
dense star background. Getting rid of the comet is easy with a gradient
tool and a bit of cloning out what little remains. I finally got rid of
the stars in the luminance frame but the color frame was far more
difficult. After days of swearing I finally managed it. I'm now way
behind on my normal processing backlog.

I debated on how to handle the ton of stars seen through the comet's
tail. I ended up blocking the vast majority of the faint ones. Just
detracted too much from the comet. So only the brighter were allowed to
show with the fainter ones masked out in the star field image.

This one seems to be a case of too much aperture picking up too many stars.

Comet's color wasn't nearly as strong as on some other posted images.
Probably needed more color but the clouds had other ideas unfortunately.

All those stars made for a larger file than I'd like but when I lowered
the compression the comet didn't fair very well.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=30x1' RGB=10x1', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GARRADD-L30X1RGB10X1.JPG