High Launch Costs - Result of Physics?

Old July 6th 03, 04:15 AM
Rand Simberg

Default High Launch Costs - Result of Physics?

On 5 Jul 2003 19:27:18 -0700, in a place far, far away,
(George William Herbert) made the phosphor on my

Arguing that space tourism won't be 'low cost' until it competes
with budget theme parks is idiotic.

But par for the course with Mr. Ordover. "Idiotic" should be his
middle name, if it isn't.

interglobal space lines * 307 733-1715 (Fax)
http://www.interglobal.org

Old July 6th 03, 12:28 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"John Ordover" wrote in message
om...
(George William Herbert) wrote in message

John Ordover wrote:
Okay. The cost of a trip to disneyworld for a family of four.

This is a ludicrous price point.

There are tens of thousands of people paying tens of thousands
of dollars each or more per year for travel and tourism.
Look at how many luxury cruise ships go out now, and how much
those cost, and how many people take multiple cruises each year.

Note: For -luxury travel and tourism- not for -joyrides into space-.
Not many people take multiple cruises each year, actually. It's
usually one per year.

I know several people that take multiple cruises a year.

Besides, once again you're moving the goalposts. I don't know many people
that go to Disney World more than once a year. So by your original
definition going multiple times a year was obviously never a requirement.

The annual Everest season now has 3 digits of people who are
guided up for a 6 figure total expedition price per person.

Everest costs nothing to maintain, but on top of that, the Everest
types are doer types, not passenger types.

Boy, it continues to amaze me the things you're willing to pontificate on.

But let's use your example. LEO costs nothing to maintain. The surface of
the Moon costs nothing to maintain.

So what's your point?

Everest is a great example. Essentially folks have to bring their
infrastructure, including for most, AIR, with them.

As for doers, try reading about some of the "tourists" who make it to the
top essentially being pulled by sherpas.

Read about the ill-fated summer a few years back.

These are essentially passenger types.

Arguing that space tourism won't be 'low cost' until it competes
with budget theme parks is idiotic.

Not at all. Have you priced a vacation at a theme park lately?

Non-sequitor.

What does PRICING a vacation at a theme park have to do with claiming it as
a valid cost for LEO flights?

No wonder you don't think space tourism will ever work. You've set a price
point so ludicrously low that it's almost funny.

Old July 6th 03, 07:12 PM
Andrew Case

John Ordover wrote:

Everest costs nothing to maintain, but on top of that, the Everest
types are doer types, not passenger types.

All the proposals for suborbital tourism I've seen have an extended period
of ground school prior to the flight. This ground school is far from
passive, satisfying the needs of the "doer type."

Even if you dislike the Everest analogy, there are market studies which
show a clear demand. Even allowing for the fact that some people who say
they'd buy a flight will back out when asked to actually write a check,
there is still plenty of demand.

.......Andrew
Andrew Case |

Old July 6th 03, 08:07 PM
Allen Thomson

It turns out that Forbes did a relevant story a year ago:

http://www.forbes.com/2002/04/18/0418feat.html

Comments are solicited, especially wrt the costs.
Old July 7th 03, 05:10 PM
Christopher M. Jones

"Mary Shafer" wrote:
[snip]
So-called "adventure travel" isn't luxurious but it is expensive.
However, the cost is amortized over a number of days, even weeks. A
cost of a quick trip into space would be amortized over hours or,
perhaps, a couple of days. Would-be rocket riders will take that into
consideration.

Not necessarily. The zero-g rides, for example, have quite a
lot of related training and whatnot associated with them on
the ground. I'd imagine sub-orbital rides would be similar,
precisely so that buyers would feel they'd gotten more out of
their money than just a short ride.

Old July 7th 03, 06:55 PM
John Ordover

If we sit on our backsides and pontificate about what isn't possible
with outdated concepts then we are stuck on this little planet aren't
we?

Come up with a way to make oodles of money out of travelling into
space. Make it bird-in-the-hand, low-risk profit. That's when we'll
go.