Russian Moonbase Art -- Original or Stolen??

Old February 23rd 06, 07:09 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default US history (was Julian Day Numbers)

OM wrote:
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 22:35:21 +0800, "Neil Gerace"
wrote:

'Civil' in this sense doesn't mean 'polite'. It means 'not international'.
Just like the English or Italian Civil Wars.

...You miss the point entirely, Neil. Go to your room until you
comprehend that nobody gives a **** what the definition is, it's the
concept that the word automatically generates that doesn't work.

It seems to be mainly you, Bob, that links in the wrong concept so
automatically.

"WBtS" works far better. Deal with it.

Deal with the English language.

/dps

Old February 23rd 06, 09:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Scott Hedrick" wrote in message
They also used "f" in place of "s" in a lot of places.

No, they didn't.

They used a "medial" S which may have looked a bit like an S, but it's
pretty clear it wasn't.

Looks like an F to me- a lower case cursive one.

In the Declaration of Independence over my desk, the first "s" in the first
Congress is not an "f", but rather an integral sign.

Old February 23rd 06, 09:40 PM posted to sci.space.history

"OM" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:24:42 -0500, "Scott Hedrick"
wrote:

They also used "f" in place of "s" in a lot of places.

..."The United Ftatef of America"?

They had what was considered a liberal education for the times.

Old February 24th 06, 02:40 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
"snidely" wrote in message

[...]
Why use the phrase "United States of America" at all?

I suspect you're thinking "States" more in the modern context than the
historical. Back then it was more along the lines of "nation states".

If you think I missed that, you haven't read my posts very carefully.
Except I coined the phrase "region states" since the entities in
question were bigger than most city-states, and smaller than most
nation-states (in population, at least -- even my little Oregon
out-spreads most European countries).

It is a consequence of the decision to go united that modern USAians
tend to treat "state" the way modern Canadians treat "province". Hmmm,
does "adironsdissement" fit in this level, even when spelled correctly?

/dps

Old February 24th 06, 02:56 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history

Scott Hedrick wrote:
[...]
In the Declaration of Independence over my desk, the first "s" in the first
Congress is not an "f", but rather an integral sign.

Intgral signs come from "summation" so it's an S; you need to read more
old documents (and spelling was all over the map before Dr Johnson's
dictionary, but had modest standardization by 1776).

/dps

Old February 25th 06, 01:01 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history

"Eric Chomko" wrote in message

That Llee felow sure was an interesting guy...
I always thought he was more interesting than Grant, but just happened to
be on the losing side.

Possibly less corrupt, too.

Old February 25th 06, 09:07 AM posted to sci.space.history

Am Sat, 25 Feb 2006 02:10:19 GMT schrieb "John Savard":

And, in fact, if you look in some type fonts, you can see that the funny
German letter that stands for "ss" and looks like a Greek beta (IIRC,
it's called an eszet) is really a ligature of the old-style non-final s
with a standard modern lower-case s.

Sorry having to correct you - but despite substituting it with a
double-s nowadays in fact the German "esszett" is a ligature of an old
style small-s and an old style small-z variant, and NOT a double-s
ligature. Note: in HTML it is coded not without cause as 'ß'
cu, ZiLi aka HKZL

--
Gib mir die Zahlen die Du hast,
und gib mir die Zahlen die Du brauchst -
Old February 26th 06, 03:23 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history

In article
, "Neil
Gerace" wrote:

"Eric Chomko" wrote in message

That Llee felow sure was an interesting guy...
I always thought he was more interesting than Grant, but just happened
be on the losing side.

Possibly less corrupt, too.

While Grant may have had a corrupt administration, there's never been
any evidence of his personal corruption, which is why he spent his last
few dying months writing his memoirs as a way of supporting his family
after his death.