How much does it cost....

Old February 4th 07, 09:07 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
robert casey

Default How much does it cost....

We are almost daily informed of some new discovery regarding the
origins and history of the Universe, along with all sorts of new kinds
of neutron starts, black holes, quasars, etc etc. Do you ever have
any curiosity about how the universe works? I think that knowing
these fundamental things is preferable to ignorance.

Nice sentiment, but it doesn't answer the question.

It answers the question quite directly. The benefit of the space program
is an increase in knowlege.

A few hundred years ago, scientists were messing around with electricity
and light. Today we use this stuff every day. Some of today's research
will yield stuff we can use in the future.
Old February 4th 07, 11:17 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Daniel

Revision wrote:
"Daniel" wrote in message
. net...
Revision wrote:
The space program has been very benificial to humankind.

How?
We are almost daily informed of some new discovery regarding the
origins and history of the Universe, along with all sorts of new kinds
of neutron starts, black holes, quasars, etc etc. Do you ever have
any curiosity about how the universe works? I think that knowing
these fundamental things is preferable to ignorance.

Nice sentiment, but it doesn't answer the question.

It answers the question quite directly. The benefit of the space program
is an increase in knowlege.

No, it's a platitudinous, pseudo-religious screed that would do Captain
Kirk proud, but it doesn't answer the pragmatic question. Also, it's a
morally and ethically void attitude. The Tuskegee Experiment 'increased
knowledge', but few would argue today that the knowledge gained
justified the means or was worth the price paid.
Old February 5th 07, 05:20 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Revision

"Daniel" No, it's a platitudinous, pseudo-religious screed

Well then answer my question. Are you curious about how the universe
works? How does it appear to you?

Old February 5th 07, 05:31 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Revision

"Daniel" answer the question.

It answers the question quite directly. The benefit of the space
program is an increase in knowlege.

but it doesn't answer the pragmatic question.

How much does it cost? About 1% of the Federal Budget on a yearly
basis. I would agree that the pursuit of knowledge in itself would not
be enough to get Congress to appropriate the money. Other motives
include a work program for PhD slide rule jockeys, and also the Defense
Dept takes an interest, as they can use the technology to blow up things
that at a great distance, so that is as pragmatic as it gets.

Old February 5th 07, 09:10 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jim

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 23:17:06 GMT, Daniel
wrote:

Revision wrote:
"Daniel" wrote in message
. net...
Revision wrote:
[...]

No, it is a statement of fact. Go to the NASA web site and review the
science done on the ISS on a daily basis. Do some research on some
independent sites too. You will find a plethora of scientific data
coming every day.
Motion sickness, which plagues millions of people, is now well
understood and treated thanks to science gleaned from many shuttle
flights and ISS experiments. This is just one of many examples.
Concerning the Universe, the HST has been used for data on the origin
of the Universe, origin of the Earth, many other discoveries.
I don't need to do the research for you. You will gain much more
insight doing the research yourself.
Jim in Houston
osPAm
Nurse's creed: Fill what's empty, empty what's full,
and scratch where it itches!! RN does NOT mean Real Nerd!
Old February 12th 07, 03:37 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Daniel

Jim wrote:
Motion sickness, which plagues millions of people, is now well
understood and treated thanks to science gleaned from many shuttle
flights and ISS experiments. This is just one of many examples.

Thank you for a concrete example.

Although if this is the first thing that comes to mind, I'm not
impressed. I am curious, however, to hear exactly what insights on this
particular issue were possible in LEO that could not have been arrived
at down here.

Concerning the Universe, the HST has been used for data on the origin
of the Universe, origin of the Earth, many other discoveries.

HST has been cool beyond words. Can't argue that, although ground-based
capabilities in some areas are now equal to HST, for a lot less $$$.
I've been searching for the citation that adaptive optics are a direct
result of NASA and/or the space program, but so far it eludes me.

I don't need to do the research for you.

Nope. And I don't need to give any credence to unsupported assertions.
Old February 12th 07, 03:41 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Daniel

Revision wrote:
Well then answer my question. Are you curious about how the universe
works? How does it appear to you?

Absolutely. How it appears to me is that there are myriad ways and means
of learning about the universe, all of which incur some cost, but some
of which cost a great deal more than others. The question is whether
what is learned TODAY is worth the cost TODAY.
Old February 14th 07, 11:45 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jim

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 03:37:37 GMT, Daniel
wrote:

HST has been cool beyond words. Can't argue that, although ground-based
capabilities in some areas are now equal to HST, for a lot less $$$.
I've been searching for the citation that adaptive optics are a direct
result of NASA and/or the space program, but so far it eludes me.

I don't need to do the research for you.

Nope. And I don't need to give any credence to unsupported assertions.

Speaking of unsupported assertions, which ground based telescopes
match the HST. The fact that the citations elude you should give you a
hint.
Concerning the motion sickness part. It is virtually impossible to
rotate a person through multiple planes of 360 degrees in one G here
on the surface, and the zero G trainer (vomit comet) doesn't provide
enough time to get sufficient data. Thus the ISS and STS platforms
provide an excellent testing platform.
Other science: crystal growth experiments in micro gravity made
possible the advancement of computer circuitry which continues to pave
the way to faster, more efficient data handling.
The list goes on. Please understand, I don't have the data at my
fingertips. I continue to urge you to visit the JPL and other sites
and investigate the science experiments going on the ISS on a daily
basis. I'm sure you will be impressed. Have a great day!!

Old February 23rd 07, 05:02 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Daniel

Jim wrote:
HST has been cool beyond words. Can't argue that, although ground-based
capabilities in some areas are now equal to HST, for a lot less $$$.
I've been searching for the citation that adaptive optics are a direct
result of NASA and/or the space program, but so far it eludes me.

Speaking of unsupported assertions, which ground based telescopes
match the HST. The fact that the citations elude you should give you a
hint.

It tells me that NASA hasn't played any significant part in the
development of adaptive optics.

Concerning the motion sickness part. It is virtually impossible to
rotate a person through multiple planes of 360 degrees in one G here
on the surface, and the zero G trainer (vomit comet) doesn't provide
enough time to get sufficient data. Thus the ISS and STS platforms
provide an excellent testing platform.

$100,000,000,000 to improve Dramamine, while 1,000,000 people die every
year of malaria... Hmmmm...

EVA cost per hour Matt Policy 11 May 9th 06 04:47 PM
CEV cost SKYROCKETING! Bob Haller Space Shuttle 23 April 11th 06 03:36 PM
Lens cost? Farr1220 Amateur Astronomy 11 June 11th 04 07:46 PM
For the cost of I.S.S. so far.... Richard Amateur Astronomy 108 May 6th 04 02:03 AM
ISS cost Richard Amateur Astronomy 2 February 12th 04 07:21 AM